Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati area public golf course recommendations

Cincinnati area public golf course recommendations

Planning to attend a weekend series this summer and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for public golf courses in the Cincinnati area. A few years back I played The Vineyard, which would be fine to do again, but always looking for new experiences. Thanks!
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati area public golf course recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Planning to attend a weekend series this summer and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for public golf courses in the Cincinnati area. A few years back I played The Vineyard, which would be fine to do again, but always looking for new experiences. Thanks!
    My favorite public course in the area is Stonelick Hills. It's out east of the city. Probably a bit pricier than the Vineyard and other county courses, but usually in very good shape and a good test.

4. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-02-2017),SunDeck (05-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Vineyard is one of my favorites but haven't played it in a decade. Have heard good things about Stonelick Hills but have yet to play it. I like Lassing Pointe, which is a little south in Ky.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Sharon Woods isn't a terrible play, as far as public courses go.

The Vineyard is still my favorite, of all the munis in town, though.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

I played California at a family reunion a few years ago and came away really impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Its been about 5 years since I've played at Stonelick (mentioned above), heck its been roughly 5 years since I've touched a golf club (2nd child turns 5 at the end of this month, which pretty much killed both my free time as well as my disposal funds for golfing) but I'll second Stonelick in a 2nd.

A little background, the course was designed (in part) and built by the former owner and founder of PennStation Subs. I'm not sure how far spread out they are, a lot of stores regionally and I know they are in multiple states, so perhaps you have eaten there. When he sold off Penn Station, as legend has it, he decided he wanted to build a golf course, so he got up in a helicopter and viewed different plots of land before settling on this site. Its a fun layout, there is a par 4, that if you cut a blind corner, you can potentially reach the green in 1, or be just in front of it. The 18th is a long par 5, that you can either lay up short on the left side before a big pond, or go long on the right side to turn it into a reachable par 5, but you've got to have decent length off the tee to get over the water on the right side. The green is then protected by another pond on the left that runs up along side the green. The 9th is another par 5 that uses the same pond in the back of the club house to form an island green. They've got seats from Riverfront lined up along the back of the clubhouse so you can sit and watch people come into the 9th & 18th greens.

Biggest draw back is that its probably a good 30 min, perhaps more from the ballpark. Its located out near Milford, off of route 50 on the east side of town. But for a unique course that is a little more "special" than your typical muni, its tough to beat.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

9. Likes:

Fil3232 (05-03-2017)

Stonelick Hills is far and away the best public course in the area. It's awesome.

I'm a little biased (worked there for 10 years), but my second favorite public course is Sharon Woods. Great layout and built in the woods. It's very pretty and good test.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

11. Likes:

Fil3232 (05-03-2017)

I'll throw a vote out for Stonelick Hills as well. I drive up from Northern Kentucky to play there a few times a year and its always in fantastic shape.

Stonelick Hills is just in a category of its own. Fun for most skill levels, provided you play the right tees. I haven't played Devou Park, but I recall hearing good things about it, and it is close to town with some nice views of the riverfront.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Some good choices here!
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Someone needs to organize a RZ scramble in Cincy (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

16. Likes:

Chip R (05-26-2017),Hoosier Red (06-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Someone needs to organize a RZ scramble in Cincy (LOL)
    Sounds like you just volunteered.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Sounds like you just volunteered.
    Nah! I think a local Cincy resident who knows the courses should do it (nudging Chip). But I'd be there for sure!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Nah! I think a local Cincy resident who knows the courses should do it (nudging Chip). But I'd be there for sure!
    Don't look at me. I've played about 5 courses here - over the past 17 years. I'm sure we'd have as much success organizing this as we had with the last few RedsZone outings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Don't look at me. I've played about 5 courses here - over the past 17 years. I'm sure we'd have as much success organizing this as we had with the last few RedsZone outings.
    That's five more courses that I know, or am really familiar with (other then the couple we've been to)(LOL)

I think it would be a good idea for an RZ golf scramble - if enough interest is there. Doesn't have to be a lot of people either - but it would need to be someone/anyone situated locally to help get it set up with a course.

Turn Off Ads?