Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NFL Season

2017 NFL Season

With the draft completed, everything is about the new season now, so a better thread title is needed.

Buffalo fired their G.M. after the draft. Unbelievable.

Chicago's GM and HC are in a dogfight for control and somebody's got to go soon. Can't believe they went into the draft without it resolved.

- - - Updated - - -

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

The Bills will decline Sammy Watkins' fifth-year team option for 2018.

Unbelievable. This is perhaps the only thing that could have made the Bills' trade up in the 2014 draft even more disastrous. The Bills are clearly petrified of Watkins suffering another injury and guaranteeing himself a massive payday for 2018 — option years are guaranteed for injury only — but they've backed themselves into a corner if Watkins has a monster 2017, something certainly not outside the realm of possibility for a massively-talented wideout who has yet to turn 24. The franchise tag costs more than the option. In a league placing an ever-increasing premium on high-end receiving talent, the Bills are playing fire with theirs. The Bills maybe shouldn't be letting someone who was a defensive coordinator just five months ago run their front office.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2017 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    With the draft completed, everything is about the new season now, so a better thread title is needed.

Buffalo fired their G.M. after the draft. Unbelievable.

Chicago's GM and HC are in a dogfight for control and somebody's got to go soon. Can't believe they went into the draft without it resolved.

- - - Updated - - -

The Bills will decline Sammy Watkins' fifth-year team option for 2018.

Unbelievable. This is perhaps the only thing that could have made the Bills' trade up in the 2014 draft even more disastrous. The Bills are clearly petrified of Watkins suffering another injury and guaranteeing himself a massive payday for 2018 — option years are guaranteed for injury only — but they've backed themselves into a corner if Watkins has a monster 2017, something certainly not outside the realm of possibility for a massively-talented wideout who has yet to turn 24. The franchise tag costs more than the option. In a league placing an ever-increasing premium on high-end receiving talent, the Bills are playing fire with theirs. The Bills maybe shouldn't be letting someone who was a defensive coordinator just five months ago run their front office.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
    What do you know about Buffalo? Why did they wait until after the draft to clean house? I'd have guessed that they'd have done that on the Monday after the season ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What do you know about Buffalo? Why did they wait until after the draft to clean house? I'd have guessed that they'd have done that on the Monday after the season ends.
    Their new HC is in charge and made the picks. Strange to keep the G.M. around for the draft. They also fired the entire scouting department the day after the draft.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

If they fired their GM before the draft, he perhaps could have shared some of their information or plans with other teams.

By firing him (and all their scouts too) after it, they avoided that possibility, if that mattered.

That's the rationale I've seen anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    If they fired their GM before the draft, he perhaps could have shared some of their information or plans with other teams.

By firing him (and all their scouts too) after it, they avoided that possibility, if that mattered.

That makes sense. Paul Allen did the same thing to Kevin Pritchard.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

It would make more sense if someone explained why they couldn't have done it three months ago. I heard an argument that it would have disrupted the preparations already done for the draft, but if that work wasn't valued highly enough to keep employing the people who did it, there was time to get better people.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I don't get it. Bring in a new GM and scouts and let them plan the draft with the coach. I don't see how the old regime could share info from the new one.

I think this is fairly common practice. Guys have been scouting 2018 already, and they will continue to do so thru end of college season. If you fire them on January 1, you start from scratch with nothing.

After the draft is the equivalent to end of season for scouts.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I think this is fairly common practice. Guys have been scouting 2018 already, and they will continue to do so thru end of college season. If you fire them on January 1, you start from scratch with nothing.

After the draft is the equivalent to end of season for scouts.
    A good scout has a file on every prospect that starts to show something in 7th Grade. Once you've compiled your database, you're only updating it, while adding new faces who turn in a season that gets the attention of the local HS Coaches with a few College walk-ons who switch sports or never created any buzz in HS.

Buffalo was stupid to fire everyone, as good scouts are already employed somewhere. The new Owners, who clearly have no idea what they're doing, will struggle for the next three seasons to put a scouting department together again.

I'm no scout and have always had full-time work with family and houses to care for, but 16 years ago when I was really interested in baseball, I had memorized the "prospective" OPS's for and against of most of the professional ballplayers, majors and minors, about 2400+ pitchers and 1600+ hitters. I made excel spreadsheets for the hitters and pitchers for sorting, updating, etc. I could talk about any player off the top of my head, his age, his last three years' OPS's for or against, his age, what level he was at, and his prospects for the majors. That was just a hobby put together in about 3 months. It was just a small sample of study without video studying and finer statistical analysis. But, again, just a hobby.

If I was a scout in football, I could finish in a year and have it all in my head, files on every prospect from the age of 12 who has caught the attention of local HS Coaches. It wouldn't be very good after only a year, but the database would be established. From there it would need to be refined in a never-ending process.

These Buffalo scouts will find employment quickly.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-03-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Browns sixth-round DT Caleb Brantley has yet to be formally charged for misdemeanor battery in connection with a pre-draft incident.

Brantley is due to report to Browns rookie camp by next Wednesday. Brantley allegedly punched Florida female student Chelsea Austin in the face with a closed fist, knocking her unconscious and displacing one of her teeth. Brantley has claimed self defense. Browns EVP Sashi Brown has indicated Brantley will be cut immediately if charges are brought against him.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Interesing coming from someone heavily investigated by the FBI.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

Browns sixth-round DT Caleb Brantley has yet to be formally charged for misdemeanor battery in connection with a pre-draft incident.

Brantley is due to report to Browns rookie camp by next Wednesday. Brantley allegedly punched Florida female student Chelsea Austin in the face with a closed fist, knocking her unconscious and displacing one of her teeth. Brantley has claimed self defense. Browns EVP Sashi Brown has indicated Brantley will be cut immediately if charges are brought against him.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Interesing coming from someone heavily investigated by the FBI.
    This just in...

Bengals sign former Browns sixth-round DT Caleb Brantley.

"He paid his dues, so drop it." -Mike Brown
    When it's a seller's market, you sell.
    When it's a buyer's market, you buy.

Why is this concept so difficult to understand?

The Colts also fired their college scouting director and a bunch of scouts the day after the draft. Was discussed in the article that now is the time when teams do it.

"or those wondering why the Colts are making scouting department changes just a day after what is viewed to be a very successful draft, it should be noted that this shouldn’t be any surprise whatsoever. Chris Ballard was hired as the new GM earlier this offseason, but at that time scouts and personnel guys are already in the thick of evaluations for the upcoming draft. So new GMs typically don’t make too many scouting department changes right away, as the time most teams do that is after the draft. So this is not surprising nor abnormal."

When Buffalo hires a GM he will likely bring in a staff by cherry picking people from his old organization and then filling in with others.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The Colts also fired their college scouting director and a bunch of scouts the day after the draft. Was discussed in the article that now is the time when teams do it.

"or those wondering why the Colts are making scouting department changes just a day after what is viewed to be a very successful draft, it should be noted that this shouldn’t be any surprise whatsoever. Chris Ballard was hired as the new GM earlier this offseason, but at that time scouts and personnel guys are already in the thick of evaluations for the upcoming draft. So new GMs typically don’t make too many scouting department changes right away, as the time most teams do that is after the draft. So this is not surprising nor abnormal."

When Buffalo hires a GM he will likely bring in a staff by cherry picking people from his old organization and then filling in with others.
    Scouts can't be hired away or even spoken to by other teams if they are under contract. So, no cherry picking will be taking place.

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

NFL touchdown celebrations are back:

Today, we are excited to tell you about another change that comes after conversations with more than 80 current and former players: we are relaxing our rules on celebrations to allow players more room to have fun after they make big plays.
    In my conversations with NFL players, it was also clear how much our players care about sportsmanship, clean competition, and setting good examples for young athletes. That is why offensive demonstrations, celebrations that are prolonged and delay the game, and those directed at an opponent, will still be penalized.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

That is why offensive demonstrations, celebrations that are prolonged and delay the game, and those directed at an opponent, will still be penalized.
    Seems to me that leads to a lot of subjective judgement on the part of the officials. Just like we all do, they probably have different opinions on what is offensive and prolonged and how much of a delay of the game they cause and what's directed at an opponent and what isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?