Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1024

Thread: 2017 NFL Season

Re: 2017 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Nope. But again, you said it's the Brown's view (i.e. they've already came to a conclusion) that he's not their franchise QB. And you're basing that on ....

And IMO, and Kingspoint's, that's a premature and rash judgment on a rookie QB when we've just reached the halfway point of the season in their first year. I don't care who we're talking about. I don't know what the future has in store for Kizer, whether it's success or failure ... but I do believe he has the skill set, just doesn't have the players around him ... but do we need to go down a pretty extensive list of QBs who went on to greatness, yet were horrific, just as bad as Kizer if not worse, even benched, in their first year? I can give you quite a few familiar names, but we can start with Detroit's Matt Stafford.

Yep. It's true we're just fans. And, as you state, as fans we're not privy to that inside info, what is going on behind the scenes, whether it's in that locker room or front office. We're on the outside looking in, which is why we should exercise caution when forming firm positions like you have in this instance.

No we're not. None of us knows, or can determine, what the future holds for this kid. So I'm under no such compulsion. So why try? Besides, I'm a coffee drinker
    Personally a guy has to overwhelm me in order for me to label him a franchise guy and Kizer has not done that yet. I didn't think he was franchise material when KP declared him one in Sept and nothing has happened to change my mind. What does amaze me is how the Browns are handling him. Seems to me that they're setting him up to fail. This tells me that they're convinced he's not the guy and they're going to draft his replacement in April.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Welp... Zeke's out again! Tune in tomorrow and see "As the Cowboys Turn".
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-10-2017),Chip R (11-09-2017),GAC (11-10-2017)

He'll be back for the FFB Championship Game, if your team can get there.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Personally a guy has to overwhelm me in order for me to label him a franchise guy and Kizer has not done that yet. I didn't think he was franchise material when KP declared him one in Sept and nothing has happened to change my mind. What does amaze me is how the Browns are handling him. Seems to me that they're setting him up to fail. This tells me that they're convinced he's not the guy and they're going to draft his replacement in April.
    Very rarely am I "overwhelmed" by any college athlete taken in the draft. I think we can all say, give plenty of examples, where we've been "burned" before by having such a position, thinking our team "hit the lottery" in drafting certain players in the 1st/2nd round - based on a stellar collegiate career - and they were busts (LOL). The garbage dump is littered with 1st round QBs, let alone 2nd round ones. So, in that sense, Kizer is no different. Look at all the collegiate players taken on the lower rounds that ended up very successful in the NFL. QBs?.... Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Joe Theismann, Mark Rypien, and most recently - Russell Wilson (3rd round), and the biggest steal of them all - Tom Brady (6th round). This same Tom Brady who didn't think he was even going to be drafted. And he was basically drafted by accident- the Patriots took him only because they felt he was the best player left in the 6th round (LOL) .... he wasn't an All American or even all conference first or second team. He was All Big Ten Conference Honorable Mention. And the scouting reports on him weren't kind.

My point is - you don't know. No one does. Despite all of the analysis that goes into scouting reports, the NFL Draft is not a science. It is a gamble. I did what most do when draft day is approaching - read scouting reports, combine results, etc. Especially when it came to QBs. Did you read any of the scouting reports on Kizer? Other then the fact that some said he should have stayed in college another year, needed more experience, they were pretty solid. This kid has the size, physique, skill-set, a prototypical NFL quarterback. NFL PLayer Comparison: Ben Roethlisberger.

Now that doesn't mean much; but that's all anyone can really go on as far as analysis and critique goes.... potential, possibilities.

You expected Kizer to somehow overwhelm you when we all know he was drafted by the worst team in the NFL? .... a team, as far as over-all assessment, was simply horrendous on both sides of the ball? Even you stated in the past there isn't much talent on this team. I agreed. So you throw an inexperienced, rookie QB behind this mess, and somehow he should be turning this thing around, overwhelming and dazzling people by his performance when he has pretty much close to nothing, as far as impact players, on the offensive side to work with?

I'm not going to judge Kizer either way based on the terrible position this offense is in. If the Browns get the #1 pick next year, and draft the most highly-touted QB in all of college, they better get him some support in the running game, as well as some receivers that can pose a threat and catch the ball .... or we'll be having this same discussion next year at this time IMO (LOL).
    Last edited by GAC; 11-10-2017 at 05:35 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    He'll be back for the FFB Championship Game, if your team can get there.
    The next hearing, which is an “expedited” review by the Second Circuit, is not scheduled until December 1st, which means he will miss four games. And depending on the timing on how quickly they do that review (ruling), he will probably serve the entire six games. And Eliot's chances of success are not favorable. Hard to overcome the Brady precedent.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

8. Likes:

Chip R (11-10-2017)

The next hearing, which is an “expedited” review by the Second Circuit, is not scheduled until December 1st, which means he will miss four games. And depending on the timing on how quickly they do that review (ruling), he will probably serve the entire six games. And Eliot's chances of success are not favorable. Hard to overcome the Brady precedent.
    Good points.

Another unexpected consequence of the Elliott situation is that Jerry Jones has put the brakes on a Roger Goodell contract extension. A few months ago it seemed like it was in the bag. Although Jones was a big supporter of Goodell during Deflategate; now he's done a 180 on Goodell. He wants Goodell to have a non-guaranteed contract (oh, the irony) and 3/4 approval of a new contract instead of 2/3 approval. He also may want to produce a report showing the negative economic impact Goodell's decisions on player discipline and other things have had on the league. It appears Jones has some support but other owners don't want a Jones puppet in charge. Of course Goodell is not happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

You expected Kizer to somehow overwhelm you when we all know he was drafted by the worst team in the NFL? .... a team, as far as over-all assessment, was simply horrendous on both sides of the ball? Even you stated in the past there isn't much talent on this team. I agreed. So you throw an inexperienced, rookie QB behind this mess, and somehow he should be turning this thing around, overwhelming and dazzling people by his performance when he has pretty much close to nothing, as far as impact players, on the offensive side to work with?

I'm not going to judge Kizer either way based on the terrible position this offense is in. If the Browns get the #1 pick next year, and draft the most highly-touted QB in all of college, they better get him some support in the running game, as well as some receivers that can pose a threat and catch the ball .... or we'll be having this same discussion next year at this time IMO (LOL).
    No, I did not expect Kizer to overwhelm me. That was KingsPoint. I've been chastizing him ever since he made the announcement that Kizer was the Browns franchise QB. I wasn't seeing it. I know you haven't seen it either. Kingspoint and I liketo needle each other. He's since said that he was premature in giving Kizer this label. And it goes both ways. When I make a declarative statement, he'll hold me to it as well.

Brock Osweiler with the throw of the year. Your loss, Browns fans.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/12/...ead-ouch-doink
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

This has to be one of the worst weeks of the 2017 NFL season. Very few close games and the ones that were close like the Steelers/Colts and Jags/Chargers were close due to bad play as opposed to good play (eg Seahawks/Titans).

That said, the college football games yesterday were fairly disappointing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Brock Osweiler with the throw of the year. Your loss, Browns fans.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/12/...ead-ouch-doink
    Another incomplete pass!

14. Likes:

Chip R (11-14-2017)

This has to be one of the worst weeks of the 2017 NFL season. Very few close games and the ones that were close like the Steelers/Colts and Jags/Chargers were close due to bad play as opposed to good play (eg Seahawks/Titans).
    I find there to be a lot of mediocrity in the NFL. And it has nothing to do with being a Browns fan either (LOL). I just don't get that excited about the NFL any more.

That said, the college football games yesterday were fairly disappointing as well.
    As far as match-ups this past weekend (week #11) goes - the majority sucked. But upcoming week #12 is worse IMO. It seems every week some team(s) get exposed (LOL). We just can't figure it out on our weekly pick'em thread. Getting our heads handed to us (LOL).

I find there to be a lot of mediocrity in the NFL. And it has nothing to do with being a Browns fan either (LOL). I just don't get that excited about the NFL any more.

As far as match-ups this past weekend (week #11) goes - the majority sucked. But upcoming week #12 is worse IMO. It seems every week some team(s) get exposed (LOL). We just can't figure it out on our weekly pick'em thread. Getting our heads handed to us (LOL).
    Going in, the college matchups last week looked outstanding. Who would've known that Miami would blow out ND or that Oklahoma would win by 18 pts or Auburn and Ohio State would win so easily?

The NFL last weekend was much like last night's game. A lot of blowouts. In general the NCAA games have been much more compelling than the NFL this year. Thursday games need to be flushed down the toilet as one of their great mistakes

Going in, the college matchups last week looked outstanding. Who would've known that Miami would blow out ND or that Oklahoma would win by 18 pts or Auburn and Ohio State would win so easily?

The NFL last weekend was much like last night's game. A lot of blowouts. In general the NCAA games have been much more compelling than the NFL this year. Thursday games need to be flushed down the toilet as one of their great mistakes
    Every early game on Sunday was close, within one score midway through the 4th, but one. The majority of the games were early games.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Every early game on Sunday was close, within one score midway through the 4th, but one. The majority of the games were early games.
    A lot of those were close due to bad play (Pitt/Indy, Cin/Tenn) rather than excellent play (Sea/Tex)

Buffalo Bills ✔@buffalobills
    Head Coach Sean McDermott has announced that Nathan Peterman will start this Sunday at QB.

Tyrod Taylor deserves better, this is silly.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Turn Off Ads?