Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated BA Top 100

Re: Updated BA Top 100

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Also, Austin Meadows is the most-overrated prospect in all of baseball.

Everyone that is concerned with Winker's stats at Louisville ... check out Meadows' numbers at Indianapolis:

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...tting/2017/ALL

#4 prospect in all of baseball? Uh, I think not.
    Umm check out the performance of #17 JP Crawford at AAA
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/stati...ers/cards/5093

162/290/190/480.

At least he is walking at a good clip and it is one month where he is still young for the level.

2. Likes:

Jordan (05-11-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm really not. I saw Winker hit a pair of home runs in spring training, and we live in a world where Yonder Alonso is suddenly a power slugger.
    And Justin Turner did it too. And Edwin Encarnacion before him. However, they all seem to do it long after they leave the Reds. I suspect, like most players, he'll probably need to wash out with his current approach before he changes it.

Dropping him from the top 100 is appropriate and the Reds ought to be concerned.
    Wait until the year after next year.

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My lawyer told me to never admit anything without him being present. And he's not here.
    Yeah, where is Raisor, anyway?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Winker officially no longer a top 100 prospect.

Hindsight is 20/20, but his value is mostly shot with having 0 power, unfortunately won't be able to get back much in a trade at this point.

At this point have to hope and pray he starts at least hitting doubles. As it is, he's just a slow Punch and Judy, as Chuckie would say.

I accept some blame as I have a signed Jesse Winker bat hanging up in my basement.
    Jesse Winker was already officially not a top 100 prospect as far as BA or BP goes, as well as BR (Benihana Rankings). At the present time, he profiles to a pinch hitter at the big league level. Let's hope that changes over the next few months. If it doesn't, the 2012 draft will be neck-and-neck for the worst draft of the decade alongside 2014.

Garrett should be top 50 IMO, I'm a bit surprised he's not higher. Then again, he wasn't a first round draft pick (although he was a bonus baby), and that matters a great deal to BA. Speaking of first rounders, I believe Tyler Stephenson and Taylor Trammell should be joining this list the next time it's compiled.

Every time I see Gleyber Torres ranked in the top 5, a little piece of me dies. I'm still not sure which will go down as the worst Reds move of the last decade - the Chapman trade or the AlfRod signing. If we can still sign Robert later this month, the answer will become a lot clearer.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-11-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

7. Likes:

REDREAD (05-11-2017)

nvm

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Jesse Winker was already officially not a top 100 prospect as far as BA or BP goes, as well as BR (Benihana Rankings). At the present time, he profiles to a pinch hitter at the big league level. Let's hope that changes over the next few months. If it doesn't, the 2012 draft will be neck-and-neck for the worst draft of the decade alongside 2014.

Garrett should be top 50 IMO, I'm a bit surprised he's not higher. Then again, he wasn't a first round draft pick (although he was a bonus baby), and that matters a great deal to BA.

Every time I see Gleyber Torres ranked in the top 5, a little piece of me dies. I'm still not sure which will go down as the worst Reds move of the last decade - the Chapman trade or the AlfRod signing. If we can still sign Robert later this month, the answer will become a lot clearer.
    You don't think you can find a place in the line up for a guy who has got on base/hit consistently all the way through the minors? Bat him lead off/second, let him hit and get on base and in time, SOME power should hopefully return as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    You don't think you can find a place in the line up for a guy who has got on base/hit consistently all the way through the minors? Bat him lead off/second, let him hit and get on base and in time, SOME power should hopefully return as well.
    That OB won't translate to the majors without some power.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (05-11-2017)

Yes, no question JP Crawford is highly overrated too. But Meadows #4 prospect in all of MLB? That's just high comedy right there.

If he doesn't hit for any power, he isn't replacing Duvall or Schebler at this point.

14. Likes:

M2 (05-11-2017),REDREAD (05-11-2017),RedTeamGo! (05-11-2017)

Perhaps the more interesting question is which Reds prospects do we think can bum rush this list by the middle or the end of the season?

Leading candidates (in no particular order) include Tyler Mahle, Luis Castillo, Vlad Gutierrez, Shed Long, Tyler Stephenson and Taylor Trammell.

16. Likes:

IndianaRed (05-11-2017),REDREAD (05-11-2017)

I am a bit surprised Mahle missed the cut. The Winker drop is concerning. I'm willing to be patient but there is definitely an issue that hasn't been resolved in the least. Expectations have been lowered.

Trammell also a surprise miss but he Ty Stephenson will have plenty of time to gain traction.

Aquino blew his shot with a faceplant to start the year.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    If he doesn't hit for any power, he isn't replacing Duvall or Schebler at this point.
    Yes and this really disappoints me. I have been and still am a big believer in Schebler but I went into this year highly skeptical that Duvall would keep his spot over Winker. I just couldn't buy into Duvall all season last year and the ability to get on base that Winker seemed to have was in my mind going to make Duvall a backup. I'm starting to have big time doubt in Winker now.

For a team that seems to do an incredible job finding hidden gems via the trade route (Duvall, Schebler, Suarez) it sure does stink at finding hitting talent in the high school and college ranks.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    I think the answer, as of today, is no. There is no place for Winker now in the Reds' lineup.

His biggest problem is his position. Winker is a corner outfielder. He doesn't bring power hitting and is not special defensively. The Reds currently have two corner outfielders hitting near .900 OPS who are both excellent defenders.

I have no doubt Winker will be a major leaguer, in time his power hitting will improve, and he has a chance to be a regular for some team some day.

But as of today there's no spot for him in the Reds' starting lineup.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (05-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I am a bit surprised Mahle missed the cut.
    I'm not. It's early in the season. BA is probably holding off on more dramatic movement until its mid-season rankings. Gives them more time to compile scouting info on who's hot and who's not. Mahle's never been a BA poster child, so he's probably got a significant amount of climbing to do to make that top 100. First place I'd expect to see him is on a Keith Law list and he seems to be tickling Sickels' radar too.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Perhaps the more interesting question is which Reds prospects do we think can bum rush this list by the middle or the end of the season?

Leading candidates (in no particular order) include Tyler Mahle, Luis Castillo, Vlad Gutierrez, Shed Long, Tyler Stephenson and Taylor Trammell.
    Yes, I think the Reds right now are in a "tweener" stage. Many of their prospects are being tried at the big league level. Their numbers will not get them onto lists. Some are even ineligible.

Others are just making their names now. As guys like Gutierrez and Mahle continue, they will get more notice. I'm not concerned about the current lists at all.

BTW, I think Gutierrez will be a candidate for Reds top few prospects soon. His K totals have been outstanding lately and I see him as a TOR candidate.

23. Likes:

cincyinco (05-11-2017),Eric in IL (05-11-2017),M2 (05-11-2017),REDREAD (05-11-2017),RiverRat13 (05-11-2017)

Turn Off Ads?