Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Updated BA Top 100

Re: Updated BA Top 100

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Perhaps the more interesting question is which Reds prospects do we think can bum rush this list by the middle or the end of the season?

Leading candidates (in no particular order) include Tyler Mahle, Luis Castillo, Vlad Gutierrez, Shed Long, Tyler Stephenson and Taylor Trammell.
    Whoever we draft at #2 will likely make the list

2. Likes:

Benihana (05-11-2017),cincyinco (05-11-2017),M2 (05-11-2017),REDREAD (05-11-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Perhaps the more interesting question is which Reds prospects do we think can bum rush this list by the middle or the end of the season?

Leading candidates (in no particular order) include Tyler Mahle, Luis Castillo, Vlad Gutierrez, Shed Long, Tyler Stephenson and Taylor Trammell.
    Assuming the next six weeks look similar to the first six weeks of this season, I'd envision a midseason list including TySteve, Mahle, Gutierrez and Trammell - probably in that order. I don't think Shed Long or Castillo break the list unless their performance improves. BA is intently focused on pedigree (as you noted vis-a-vis Mahle) and those guys really have to crush it to get them to notice, and while they've been pretty good so far this year they haven't been CRUSHING it. Keep in mind Castillo is 24 and still in AA, and Long was a 12th round pick who is 5'8. Castillo really needs to dominate given his age, even though his stuff plays up.

That said, if they have a few more nights like they did last night, Castillo and Long could be Reds #6 and #7 in the Top 100 prospects list.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-11-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

5. Likes:

M2 (05-11-2017),REDREAD (05-11-2017)

Guttierez is a top 50 prospect in waiting, maybe higher.

Right now, in 31.2 innings at Daytona, he has a 11.94 K rate, 1.42 BB rate, and 0.00 homers allowed rate.

He's suffered with a .388 BABIP against him, but he's going to emerge on these lists once he develops a little track record in the minors.

Pitching at age 21 this full MILB season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-11-2017 at 01:52 PM.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (05-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Whoever we draft at #2 will likely make the list
    Yeah for sure they will be (assuming they make them eligible). Reds could realistically have 8 guys in consideration for the Top 100 by the end of this season. And that's with no Winker, R.Stephenson, Reed, Romano or Garrett.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-11-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

9. Likes:

REDREAD (05-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Guttierez is a top 50 prospect in waiting, maybe higher.

Right now, in 31.2 innings at Daytona, he has a 11.94 K rate, 1.42 BB rate, and 0.00 homers allowed rate.

He's suffered with a .388 BABIP against him, but he's going to emerge on these lists once he develops a little track record in the bigs.

Pitching at age 21 this full MILB season.
    Interested to see how he fares as his innings pile up. Hasn't pitched a lot in recent years, so fatigue may play a role with him.
    Wait until the year after next year.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Yeah, where is Raisor, anyway?
    Trolling me on twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    One month. He's literally played one month this season.

How many times have you watched Austin Meadows play?
    Did you look at the numbers he put up last season in Double-A as a 21-year-old? I know you love you some numbers. One month of play should not be changing the opinion of a player unless they found extra velocity, picked up a new pitch, or re-worked their entire swing and went from Yonder Alonso 2015 to Yonder Alonso 2017.
    He's good, he's just nothing special IMO. You only mentioned his numbers last season. But he had an OPS of .781 in 2015 playing the vast majority of the season at A+. That's good. It's not "4th best prospect in all of baseball" great. That is my point. I don't think Meadows sucks. But I think he's the most overrated player on the planet if he's ranked #4 overall. Again, how is he even that much of a better prospect than Jesse Winker, who gets raked across the coals here? Winker walks more, strikes out less. Neither one of them have much power. Career OPS for Winker? .844. Career OPS for Meadows? .822.

Hmm.

Then you add in Meadows' .544 OPS in 111 ABs so far this year, and he's certainly trending the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    He's good, he's just nothing special IMO. You only mentioned his numbers last season. But he had an OPS of .781 in 2015 playing the vast majority of the season at A+. That's good. It's not "4th best prospect in all of baseball" great. That is my point. I don't think Meadows sucks. But I think he's the most overrated player on the planet if he's ranked #4 overall. Again, how is he even that much of a better prospect than Jesse Winker, who gets raked across the coals here? Winker walks more, strikes out less. Neither one of them have much power. Career OPS for Winker? .844. Career OPS for Meadows? .822.

Hmm.

Then you add in Meadows' .544 OPS in 111 ABs so far this year, and he's certainly trending the wrong way.
    Let's address that 2015. 1, it came in the Florida State League at age 20. The Florida State League is the most pitcher friendly minor league in all of baseball. He posted an OPS, at a very young age for the level, that was 114 points better than the league average that year. That's pretty good on it's own. Toss in the age in which he did so and it's even more impressive. Toss in that he's a center fielder, and well, it's even more impressive.

How is he a better prospect than Winker? Well, he's far more athletic. He can play center field. He's got better tools across the board pretty much, except the hit tool, which is similar. He's also a year younger.

He's rocking a .247 BABIP right now. There's certainly some things to think, yeah, he needs to improve. But there's more to prospect rankings and values than the stats they are putting up right this second. It's about projection. And Austin Meadows projects very, very well. He's got FOUR 60-grade tools and a 55 arm. He's a legit, true, 5-tool guy who has actually shown all of those at points in his past.

Triple-A hasn't treated him well as a 21-year-old. He turned 22 a week ago.

Again though, let me ask: How many times have you seen him play? You claim he's nothing special in your opinion. So I've got to ask, when did you see him play?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Let's address that 2015. 1, it came in the Florida State League at age 20. The Florida State League is the most pitcher friendly minor league in all of baseball. He posted an OPS, at a very young age for the level, that was 114 points better than the league average that year. That's pretty good on it's own. Toss in the age in which he did so and it's even more impressive. Toss in that he's a center fielder, and well, it's even more impressive.

How is he a better prospect than Winker? Well, he's far more athletic. He can play center field. He's got better tools across the board pretty much, except the hit tool, which is similar. He's also a year younger.

He's rocking a .247 BABIP right now. There's certainly some things to think, yeah, he needs to improve. But there's more to prospect rankings and values than the stats they are putting up right this second. It's about projection. And Austin Meadows projects very, very well. He's got FOUR 60-grade tools and a 55 arm. He's a legit, true, 5-tool guy who has actually shown all of those at points in his past.

Triple-A hasn't treated him well as a 21-year-old. He turned 22 a week ago.

Again though, let me ask: How many times have you seen him play? You claim he's nothing special in your opinion. So I've got to ask, when did you see him play?
    I think it's a bit disrespectful at best, bullying at worst, to insinuate the guy can't have an opinion on Meadows simply because he might not have seen him live.
    I heard your record..it's alright.

15. Likes:

Jordan (05-11-2017),membengal (05-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I think it's a bit disrespectful at best, bullying at worst, to insinuate the guy can't have an opinion on Meadows simply because he might not have seen him live.
    I think if you're going to say he's the most overrated player on the planet, you probably should have at least seen the guy swing a bat once.

17. Likes:

Homer's Ghost (05-11-2017),kaldaniels (05-11-2017),ochoa30 (05-11-2017),Tom Servo (05-11-2017)

I think if you're going to say he's the most overrated player on the planet, you probably should have at least seen the guy swing a bat once.
    I have. You just assumed I haven't.

Or does on film not count?

We'll see if he lives up to this "4th-best prospect in all of baseball" hype. You seem to agree with it. Will be interesting to revist this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I have. You just assumed I haven't.

Or does on film not count?

We'll see if he lives up to this "4th-best prospect in all of baseball" hype. You seem to agree with it. Will be interesting to revist this one.
    Well, since you didn't answer the question the first time, I THEN assumed that you hadn't. Though, if you've seen it on film, I'm impressed. Not sure the last time someone was recording baseball on film.

I don't know that I'd rank him 4th. In fact, I wouldn't. But I think it's a stretch, a big one, to claim he's the most overrated player on the planet, too.

And to expand on this: What did you see on the field that makes him the most overrated prospect in all of the world?

I don't think it was right at all to call (or insinuate) Doug disrespectful or bullying. He asked a question after a very extreme remark was made.

Not right at all.

Back to Winker.

I saw him play the Rochester Redwings a week or so ago. Everything off his bat was a bullet. But they had no lift. Hard line drive to right for a single; a scorcher one hopper to first; A blistering ground ball between first and second. Sounds fairly similar to the aforementioned Alonso. He just needs the ball to hop off his bat with a little lift. I do not know how he makes that adjustment.
    "Just shut up and play baseball"...Mike Piazza

23. Likes:

REDREAD (05-18-2017)

Turn Off Ads?