Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Updated BA Top 100

Re: Updated BA Top 100

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, since you didn't answer the question the first time, I THEN assumed that you hadn't. Though, if you've seen it on film, I'm impressed. Not sure the last time someone was recording baseball on film.

I don't know that I'd rank him 4th. In fact, I wouldn't. But I think it's a stretch, a big one, to claim he's the most overrated player on the planet, too.
    Oh how obtuse. YouTube is "film."

I'm sure you never hear of athletes or coaches "watching film." Do you think they are in a movie theater from the 80s?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I don't think it was right at all to call (or insinuate) Doug disrespectful or bullying. He asked a question after a very extreme remark was made.

Not right at all.
    Extreme remark? OK. I stand by it though. A player with a career .822 OPS at the minor league level -- one that is stinking up the AAA level -- is the #4 prospect in all of baseball?

Hey, time will tell. I would say agreeing with Meadows being the fourth-best prospect in baseball is "extreme."

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Extreme remark? OK. I stand by it though. A player with a career .822 OPS at the minor league level -- one that is stinking up the AAA level -- is the #4 prospect in all of baseball?

Hey, time will tell. I would say agreeing with Meadows being the fourth-best prospect in baseball is "extreme."
    I'm not saying you are wrong (I don't agree but that's another issue) but to say "most overhyped on the planet" is very extreme. Surely you can see that. That being so it's fair to simply ask "have you even seen him?"

Face it. A lot of people here have never seen many prospects we discuss. It was a fair question that could have quickly been answered. You didn't have to answer but it was not disrespectful or bullying (not your words) to ask.

5. Likes:

Jordan (05-11-2017)

I'm not saying you are wrong (I don't agree but that's another issue) but to say "most overhyped on the planet" is very extreme. Surely you can see that. That being so it's fair to simply ask "have you even seen him?"

Face it. A lot of people here have never seen many prospects we discuss. It was a fair question that could have quickly been answered. You didn't have to answer but it was not disrespectful or bullying (not your words) to ask.
    Yeah, I wouldn't say it was bullying. I would describe it more as "over the top." Such as, "How dare you have an opinion on a player you have never seen in person!"

Watching players on film and studying their numbers really tells us what we need to know, IMO. Watching in person is more fun. I agree with that.

I don't think calling Meadows the most overrated player in the country is hyberbole either. There are only 3 players ranked ahead of him. Ranking him as the #4 prospect in all of baseball is an extreme reach IMO.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Oh how obtuse. YouTube is "film."

I'm sure you never hear of athletes or coaches "watching film." Do you think they are in a movie theater from the 80s?
    Just because people still say film doesn't mean they are right. As someone who has worked in video production (in high school I worked for a video magazine, I've also done work for a few TV shows for the same company), it's a pet peeve of mine when people say they are going to film things/tape things when they are actually recording it.

Yeah, I wouldn't say it was bullying. I would describe it more as "over the top." Such as, "How dare you have an opinion on a player you have never seen in person!"

Watching players on film and studying their numbers really tells us what we need to know, IMO. Watching in person is more fun. I agree with that.

I don't think calling Meadows the most overrated player in the country is hyberbole either. There are only 3 players ranked ahead of him. Ranking him as the #4 prospect in all of baseball is an extreme reach IMO.
    Watching a player on video tells you some things. It also hides plenty of things, too. That can be good, or bad. But, watching them on video is never going to tell you how they are on defense unless you're watching a birds eye view of the entire field. Watching in person, assuming you've got the right viewing spot, is going to be better than watching them on video. Every time.

But, if say, Meadows is the 55th best prospect on the planet, but the guy ranked 58th is actually the 190th, then that guy, not Meadows is the most overrated player in the world.

But, let's get back to Meadows specifically. He's got a career .822 OPS that you cited. He's a center fielder. He's been young at every level he's ever played at. Let's just say he's going to be an .822 OPS center fielder moving forward (which I'm sure you can argue given his AAA numbers - but play along). That would make him the 5th best hitting center fielder in baseball. That's probably going to make him a 4.5 win player. That's an All-Star.

I think that maybe you're not giving his positional value enough credit when looking at him as a prospect. Playing center field is enormously valuable.

Watching a player on video tells you some things.
    First and foremost, that he's not a vampire.
    Wait until the year after next year.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    First and foremost, that he's not a vampire.
    I thought that was seeing them in mirrors?

I thought that was seeing them in mirrors?
    They're resistant to all manner of optics.
    Wait until the year after next year.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They're resistant to all manner of optics.
    Your vampire knowledge is vast.

BA said in their chat Meadows is on the hot seat.

They aren't idiots.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Winker's no Selsky, that's for sure!
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/film

Often films,
    motion pictures collectively.
    the motion-picture industry, or its productions, operations, etc.
    motion pictures, as a genre of art or entertainment:
    experimental film.
    verb (used with object)
    to cover with a film, thin skin, or pellicle:
    filmed eyes.
    Movies.
    to photograph with a motion-picture camera.
    to reproduce in the form of motion pictures

You think I'd trust him with anything beyond bird law?
    hmmmmmmmm....bird law..

I don't think it was right at all to call (or insinuate) Doug disrespectful or bullying. He asked a question after a very extreme remark was made.

Not right at all.
    Sorry, don't agree. He can absolutely come off that way on the board, given he actually can make it to games and most can't. Like only he can have strongly held opinions. Don't like that vibe at all.

Here's a way to ask a question about that without inadvertently coming off like an officious jerk:

"That view on Meadows seems extreme to me, have you had a chance to watch him play recently? From what I have seen, I like the following about him... etc."
    Last edited by membengal; 05-12-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Turn Off Ads?