Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Updated BA Top 100

Re: Updated BA Top 100

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    hmmmmmmmm....bird law..
    Pretty sure most attorneys refer to it as Avian Law. If you call it Avian Law you can charge more per hour than if you call it Bird Law.

2. Likes:

Raisor (05-12-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Sorry, don't agree. He can absolutely come off that way on the board, given he actually can make it to games and most can't. Like only he can have strongly held opinions. Don't like that vibe at all.

Here's a way to ask a question about that without inadvertently coming off like an officious jerk:

"That view on Meadows seems extreme to me, have you had a chance to watch him play recently? From what I have seen, I like the following about him... etc."
    We have very different ideas of what bullying is, if someone asking you if you've seen a player actually swing a bat is considered bullying.

And for the record, anyone can have strongly held opinions, but just like mine, when someone disagrees with them they are going to question why the person has that belief that they don't agree with.

Was my rebuttal perhaps slightly abrasive? If you were looking for it to be that way, sure. Bullying? Come on.

5. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-12-2017)

So maybe don't be abrasive, slightly or otherwise, if you disagree with someone's opinion? I'm not a big fan of any implication of "I do this for a living and you don't" which is how that came across. Whatevs.

7. Likes:

BillDoran (05-12-2017)

Knock off the personal attacks immediately.

If that's the standard, we should all just sit around and wait for Doug to make pronoucements on what to think.
    No, but why wouldn't someone who actually watches these guys have more weight behind their opinion than you or I? I sometimes like to do a deeper dive on trends, but overall I don't think my ability to look at stats is any great skill.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    No, but why wouldn't someone who actually watches these guys have more weight behind their opinion than you or I? I sometimes like to do a deeper dive on trends, but overall I don't think my ability to look at stats is any great skill.
    People reading know who Doug is (and I like Doug fine - even gave a "like" to the link someone had to him being referred to by FanGraphs), and I am sure they assign weight to that. But it is beyond me how this forum exists if every time Doug speaks, we all have to shut it, which seems to be the implication you are making.

In any event, that Meadows is disappointing to some relative to his overall ranking is not a crazed opinion. Whether the person holding that opinion has watched any at-bats live or not.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-12-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    No dog in this fight, and normally I'm the last one to take offense to some being a dick, but Doug comes off as a miserable person nearly everytime he has a different opinion than someone.

Sorry, don't agree. He can absolutely come off that way on the board, given he actually can make it to games and most can't. Like only he can have strongly held opinions. Don't like that vibe at all.

Here's a way to ask a question about that without inadvertently coming off like an officious jerk:

"That view on Meadows seems extreme to me, have you had a chance to watch him play recently? From what I have seen, I like the following about him... etc."
    Doug was speaking to someone who called Meadow's ranking "high comedy" and called Meadows the most overhyped player on the planet...citing only OPS.

So while Doug may not have been all cupcakes and rainbows, perhaps you can rewrite Jordan's initial remarks in a better manner as well...

Jordan answered the bell when this situation was discussed earlier so I'm cool with him...however he didn't publically call Doug out on how Doug asked if he had seen Meadows. (I'm not touching the "on film" bickering )
    "If you're into those sorts of things...Some would say using others' posts as signatures is weird." - Sea Ray

I've had a few discussions/disagreements with Mr. Doug, and I've never found him to be a jerk. Maybe I'm more thick skinned than others, or maybe it's simply that Doug isn't a jerk. If you firmly believe in the assertion that you're making and can explain it, then it shouldn't matter a wit what Doug or anyone else thinks about it.

Bullying? Come on....

14. Likes:

RedlegJake (05-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Doug was speaking to someone who called Meadow's ranking "high comedy" and called Meadows the most overhyped player on the planet...citing only OPS.

So while Doug may not have been all cupcakes and rainbows, perhaps you can rewrite Jordan's initial remarks in a better manner as well...

Jordan answered the bell when this situation was discussed earlier so I'm cool with him...however he didn't publically call Doug out on how Doug asked if he had seen Meadows. (I'm not touching the "on film" bickering )
    Not really on Jordan. People use hyperbole when expressing an opinion? Not real surprising to me.

I don't care about Meadows, but if he were truly the 4th overall prospect in baseball, given the opening in Pittsburgh with the suspension, I bet Pirates fans would have been expecting him to show as being closer to ready than he is at this moment. Since I am a Reds fan, I hope he isn't all he is supposed to be, but he certainly has time on his side to figure it out.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-12-2017 at 02:14 PM.

And as for the list? Meh. It's a list.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    (I'm not touching the "on film" bickering )

Not really on Jordan. People use hyperbole when expressing an opinion? Not real surprising to me.
    I don't think anything was wrong with either Jordan or Doug. I was bothered by Doug being sniped with the bullying accusation.
    "If you're into those sorts of things...Some would say using others' posts as signatures is weird." - Sea Ray

19. Likes:

cincyinco (05-12-2017)

Everyone knows you can't have an informed view on a baseball player until you've watched them on 8mm for a minimum of 2 hours and 26 minutes.

22. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-12-2017)

Turn Off Ads?