Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP Chris Cornell

RIP Chris Cornell

Just a total shock. Chris Cornell lead singer of Soundgarden is dead at 52

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/a...undgarden.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Chris Cornell dead at 52

Passed unexpectedly a few hours after a concert in Detroit. Not a lot of details at this time.

Soundgarden was supposed to play in Columbus tomorrow. One of my friends had tickets to go with his fiancé.

RIP

Someone broke it first. Mods, please combine/delete
    Last edited by Kilgore_Trout; 05-18-2017 at 07:20 AM.
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

4. Likes:

Red Heeler (05-18-2017)

Re: RIP Chris Cornell

My sister's headed to Rock on the Range, where Soundgarden is supposed to perform, tomorrow. I wonder if she's heard (she runs a day care and is out of touch after 5:30 AM).
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Soundgarden was a large part of my musical childhood. Guy had a great, and very distinctive voice, some of his best stuff is his solo stuff. 52 man, that is young, especially when you consider how much music he produced in his life.

I'm unbelievably saddened by this news. Soundgarden has always been one of my favorite bands. Today I was awakened by a flurry of text messages from friends about his passing and at first I thought I must have been dreaming.

I just saw Soundgarden last week in Indianapolis. They were amazing and he was still belting out those classic Chris Cornell high notes like nobody's business.

I was supposed to see them again tomorrow at Rock On The Range but clearly that won't be happening. Thank god I decided to go the Indianapolis show too.

It hasn't been confirmed yet but the early report is that this was suicide. He was found with a band around his neck. Either way, I feel so terrible for his wife and kids, the rest of the band, and all of his close friends. I know how hard this is hitting me and I can only begin to imagine what they are going through.

Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland, and now Chris Cornell. So many greats of the 1990's have left us.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

The last song they did last night in Detroit was a cover of Led Zeppelin's In My Time of Dying

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

This hit me hard today. These grunge guys...man. Left with just a couple frontmen...not many around.

They call me "chef"

I somehow never clicked with Soundgarden. I was all about PJ, STP, Nirvana, etc. but never got into SG. His voice was incredible though.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    The last song they did last night in Detroit was a cover of Led Zeppelin's In My Time of Dying
    Did they play the actual Led Zeppelin version? Because last week in Indy he sang the lyrics but it was during a long jam in the middle of "Slaves and Bulldozers". At the time I thought "Oh cool! Chris Cornell singing Led Zeppelin, he's got the voice to pull it off." But now looking back, you have to wonder if he was already deep into that mindset.

Just tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Did they play the actual Led Zeppelin version? Because last week in Indy he sang the lyrics but it was during a long jam in the middle of "Slaves and Bulldozers". At the time I thought "Oh cool! Chris Cornell singing Led Zeppelin, he's got the voice to pull it off." But now looking back, you have to wonder if he was already deep into that mindset.

Just tragic.
    Yes CNN had that was the last song but I read later it was just what you said it was in the middle of Slaves and Bulldozers which they closed the set with last night

The AP is reporting that the ME states the cause of death was suicide.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I somehow never clicked with Soundgarden. I was all about PJ, STP, Nirvana, etc. but never got into SG. His voice was incredible though.
    I agree. I honestly didn't like him because he would rig his t shirts so he could yank them off...it was too rehearsed. It made me hate their stuff.

But within the last few years I've liked their music more and more, but they are a step below the other guys.

A few great songs. And I liked the older Cornell in interviews and he was a witness to that whole scene. He turned out to be pretty cool that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    This hit me hard today. These grunge guys...man. Left with just a couple frontmen...not many around.
    The ironic thing with Cornell is you got the whole trouble, addicted front man. I read today that he had battles with addiction, but it never really played in the general public like Cobain, Staley, and Weiland.

Of the big revolutionary grunge bands/front men, are Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters the only ones left?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Of the big revolutionary grunge bands/front men, are Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters the only ones left?
    Mark Lanegan is still around, although the Screaming Trees weren't nearly as big as the other bands.

Has everyone here watched Hype!?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hype!

If not, you need to.

Been listening to Soundgarden and Cornell as long as I can remember. Black Hole Sun came out when I was 10-11 and it's one of the first times I remember hearing a rock song and thinking to myself "why have I been listening to kiss fm (pop music station in Toledo)?" I then started listening to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Green Day, Rage Against the Machine, etc. and eventually got into the classics like Zeppelin, Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Floyd, Allman Bros, Dead, etc.

RIP Chris, great voice. His voice is what turned Hunger Strike what would have been an ok song to a great song.

Suicides are so hard to swallow. I wonder if he just didn't want to tour anymore, that's why The Band stopped, Richard Emanuel was drinking himself to death because of the road and the others realized it. Shortly after they held The Last Waltz. It obviously could have been something completely unrelated to touring and music, but why not just call it a career and read books and/or go on trips the rest of your life? Such a waste, really sad day.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 05-18-2017 at 04:16 PM.

18. Likes:

mamrice (05-18-2017)

Turn Off Ads?