Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Minor League Transactions

Re: 2017 Minor League Transactions

Gotta wonder at what point they consider sending Miles Gordon and Jeter Downs to Dayton. Both are 19 and OPS well over 1.000. Maybe Gordon coincides with a Siri promotion to Daytona?

I know others have discussed Fairchild getting a bump given his age in lieu of Gordon, but IMO he's gotta hit at Billings first (which he hasn't really, and everyone hits at Billings).
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-13-2017 at 08:30 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Gotta wonder at what point they consider sending Miles Gordon and Jeter Downs to Dayton. Both are 19 and OPS well over 1.000. Maybe Gordon coincides with a Siri promotion to Daytona?

I know others have discussed Fairchild getting a bump given his age in lieu of Gordon, but IMO he's gotta hit at Billings first (which he hasn't really, and everyone hits at Billings).
    Opening Day, 2018, I'd guess. Particularly for Downs.

Senzel didn't.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

5. Likes:

BillDoran (07-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Senzel didn't.
    Neither did Okey.

OPS in Billings:

.369 - Chris Okey
    .475 - Nick Senzel
    .645 - Stuart Fairchild
    Last edited by Vander; 07-13-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    Neither did Okey.

OPS in Billings:

.369 - Chris Okey
    .475 - Nick Senzel
    .645 - Stuart Fairchild
    Fairchild wasn't the best hitter/second overall pick in the draft.

I don't think you want to use Okey as an example of a path for success. His lack of hitting was telling.
    Go BLUE!!!

Fairchild wasn't the best hitter/second overall pick in the draft.

I don't think you want to use Okey as an example of a path for success. His lack of hitting was telling.
    I'm just looking at the tendencies of the Reds. They promoted two college hitters who were performing less than Fairchild is now. And that includes Okey. Say what you want about the terrible year he has had in 2017, but he was ready for Dayton last year and actually performed better after the promotion.

And just two days later, Fairchild's OPS is .776.

My biggest point is this. When you're dealing with a microscopic sample size, looking at only a stat line to determine if someone is ready for a promotion is kinda dumb. In two days, his OPS went up by 131 points.

He's a college kid who was taken in the top few rounds of the draft. That alone means he's probably ready for Dayton.

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-15-2017),WrongVerb (07-15-2017)

Using stats to decide if a guy is ready for a promotion at any level is wrong, but when you have a small sample size, it is even worse. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fairchild moved up any day, but they may just keep him there for the first half to try to get Billings in the playoffs. Dayton needs an outfielder, though. You need a fourth guy, as you had with Friedl, so you can at least DH guys on a rotating basis to give a little breather. Beltre has really slowed down. Trammell and Siri will at some point if they don't add a fourth guy.

12. Likes:

puca (07-15-2017)

Tanner Rainey is in Pensacola.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

14. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (07-28-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    tanner rainey is in pensacola.
    you're in pensacola!

Bats fan extraordinaire! HalKing's Avatar

And in a blast(more like implosion) from the past.... Tanner Rahier is a Schaumburg Boomer!

http://pointstreak.com/baseball/play...seasonid=30690

17. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-05-2017)

Tanner Rainey is in Pensacola.
    Glad to see this move made. Despite a high walk rate (4.40 BB/9, 12.1% BB), Rainey had a 2.82 FIP, 2.29 xFIP, and a ridiculous 42.3% K rate in High-A. He's got the ceiling of a dominant bullpen arm if he can keep the walks contained.

Just noticed from the transactions list dated 8/4/17, the Reds signed free agent Adam Brett Walker. Evidently once Winker and Ervin were promoted, a warm body was needed to play outfield in Louisville. Walker has a little pop - 136 HR's over five minor league seasons, but that's about it (.303 OBP + .480 SLG over that period)
    "I can still throw it in the 70s. And I can throw it in the 80s if I don't want to comb my hair for a week." - Bob Feller at age 66 when asked how hard he could throw.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Just noticed from the transactions list dated 8/4/17, the Reds signed free agent Adam Brett Walker. Evidently once Winker and Ervin were promoted, a warm body was needed to play outfield in Louisville. Walker has a little pop - 136 HR's over five minor league seasons, but that's about it (.303 OBP + .480 SLG over that period)
    I'd say he has more than a little pop, the power is legit. Unfortunately it's about all he has and comes with huge strikeout numbers. Still, like Peter O'Brien, if you're gonna have one trick having it be power is a pretty good choice.

Also gotta give props to 19braves77 (though it appears he got he destination wrong)

Braves released Adam Brett Walker. He's the typical mid season minor league body the Reds send to Pensacola this time of year. Calling it now.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

21. Likes:

camisadelgolf (08-05-2017),cincyinco (08-07-2017)

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds

Today the Reds send minor league 1B Kevin Franklin to Braves as PTBNL to complete the 2/12/17 trade of Brandon Phillips.

Fair thee well, Kevin.

Turn Off Ads?