Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Youth baseball bat

Youth baseball bat

Bought my son a new bat this year and it's like he had a 3-4" growth spurt. He wasn't allowed to use his big barrel bat during a game, so he borrowed another kids bat that was slightly bigger and he crushed the ball. Checked a bat chart and it says to go even bigger. Any suggestions? Not looking to spend a ton but I'd like a nice bat.

Probably going with a 30 inch drop 12

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Youth baseball bat

I've had a similar question going thru my mind with my son. He'll turn 9 later this month, and has always been pretty tall/strong for his age. I literally just learned about "drop" based upon Selig's post, then going to look it up on Google and finding a bat sizing chart. Right now, he's using a 28 inch, drop 10 bat (I think) that I bought him last season literally because it had a fierce bulldog looking logo that I thought he'd like. thing is, he rarely ever used it in games last season (he played up a level last season, coach pitch 2 if that is a standard league range; don't know) as he began the season striking out a bunch while he was learning not to swing at balls over his head or 2 feet off the plate and I think he had himself convinced that his bat was no good, he only needed to use someone elses bat and the hits would come. He eventually settled in and made regular contact, though he rarely hit the ball with any authority despite his size. This season, as he's matured a little, understands when to swing and when not to swing, and thanks to a couple of adjustments one of the coaches made, he's hitting the ball with authority, using his bat. I told him he could get a new bat next season, but wasn't sure what size.

based upon this:

http://www.justbats.com/bat-resource...h/howtoselect/

he'll be somewhere in the 30 to 31" size bat. I'm not positive on his height, I know he hit the 54" mark at Kings Island two seasons ago which aside from Doctor's visits is how my wife and I used to gauge his growth. I'm thinking he's close to 5'-0", will certainly be there next summer if he's not already there and was 77 lbs at his last doctor's visit, so maybe he's up in the 85 lb range next summer. He was at 78 lbs when he had weigh in for football prior to 1st grade, now he's about to enter 3rd and is roughly the same weight, but has shot up in height, so I really don't know how to accurately guess his weight.

anyhoo, b/w football, basketball, baseball and swim team, I already spend too much on his activities, and I'll never be one of those parents who thinks he needs a new bat at the start of each season. Is there tremendous downside in going with a 32" length bat and knowing that he could use it for a couple of seasons? Is it better to go with a shorter/heavier bat, or a longer lighter bat? How much drop is a good thing? How to you gauge? Do I check out which bats his teammates have this season are using and see if he can borrow one for an at bat or two or just to practice and see how he swings it over the coming weeks before baseball is over? Is there a better time to buy a bat than another? Depending on coaching, I may move him up to select next season, which means he'll start swinging/pitching over the winter, if the coaching selection for the select teams don't go the way I want, we'll probably just stick to rec league (its going to be full time kid pitch next season regardless) which means he won't have to hit the cages in the winter as part of team hitting and could wait until the spring. Is it best to buy it now and let him get used to it in live games? Thing is, he's in a groove right now, hitting doubles and triples with regularity and making solid contact each time, I'd hate to mess him up by switching bats at this juncture. Football season starts at the end of July, and once that begins, there isn't much time to mess around with hitting at the park across the street, so he's going to have a layoff from baseball for several months at a minimum anyways aside from playing wiffle ball up at the pool.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

If he is moving to kid pitch next year, I think having a bigger drop will be beneficial. I'd go with a 30 or 31 and drop 12 which is just a longer bat that weighs the same as the one he has now. This should give him good bat speed to keep up with those good hard throwing pitchers.

Amazon has some pretty good deals. The bat that is too short now was about $70 which doesn't seem like a bad investment to me when ball is life lol.

thanks Selig for the advice.

Not sure it helps, but my experience: my son is 6 and in coach-pitch. He's a gamer, but he's really small and weak compared to his peers. He was using a 28 / 15 (drop 13) early on and never got the ball out of the infield. I moved him up to a 28/18 (drop 10) and had him choke-up about an inch, and now he's crushing the ball. Not sure if it's the added mass or what. But you could always go with the bigger bat and choke him up a little (or MORE if he already does).

Best advice I can give is buy last years model and you will save alot of money. We do that all the time and in alot of cases the price is close to 50% off of what it was the season before.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

8. Likes:

919191 (06-10-2017),TeamSelig (06-09-2017)

George is right. I have bought previous year's models on eBay and paid half for bats still in the factory wrap.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

10. Likes:

George Anderson (06-10-2017)

But if you spend for a nice bat you will be alot more aggravated when you see some kid on the team hitting a fence post or rocks with the bat than you would with a Walmart cheapie. Think about the maturity of the child and his ability to care for it when making this decision.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

thanks for the added advice. When do next year's models come out? When do prices drop. I'm not looking to drop a fortune, a) my son isn't going to make the show; its not like his next bat is going to make the difference, b) I have another young son, that even if we are super careful, I know he's going to get his mits on it at some point and drag it across the ground, c) I've seen how kids treat their bats in the dugout, they'll get tossed around, banged together, etc.. anything that can help save a few nickles is appreciated, don't need one of the composite bats that you have to "break in", just looking for one that is the proper length/weight combination.

Turn Off Ads?