Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: We are not mocking the Cardinals enough

He still bangs

Re: We are not mocking the Cardinals enough

What a bizarre article on the Cardinals’ apparent clubhouse dysfunction this season. Sounds miserable. Pretty toxic, actually.

http://thecomeback.com/mlb/cardinals...medium=twitter

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-12-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    What a bizarre article on the Cardinals’ apparent clubhouse dysfunction this season. Sounds miserable. Pretty toxic, actually.

http://thecomeback.com/mlb/cardinals...medium=twitter

Norris said he decided early on he wasn’t going to allow Hicks to let loose work habits affect his readiness to perform. Hicks was originally optioned back to minor-league camp this spring for being late repeatedly, but the team couldn’t resist the allure of his electric right arm. The Cardinals relented going into Opening Day and he has been on the roster all season.
    Like Finley several generations earlier, Hicks never pitched at the final two rungs on the minor-league chain. He was in Class A baseball last season.
    “He’s learning,” Norris said. “He’s admitting when he’s wrong and he’s admitting when he’s right. We’re working together, but he still has a lot to learn on the pitching side, on the professional side of things, how to hold himself accountable for some things and just being a pro, coming to work every day and being ready to work, doing the little things, because they add up in the long run.”
    I just don't see it that way. I read the entire article...not snippets that your article mentioned and honestly it sounds like some things that are needed. I posted a part above that kind of shows that.

https://theathletic.com/428599/2018/...-mike-matheny/
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I don't understand why the national press hasn't called for a rebuilding of the Cardinals. They are obviously in need of a tear down and should be selling what few assets they have including their aging catcher. They can't get much above .500.

I also will not hear/read anything positive about that team, so don't try to persuade me that they are good or have good prospects. I hate them with all the venom I have for another baseball team even if their fans are the best in all of the world.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I just don't see it that way. I read the entire article...not snippets that your article mentioned and honestly it sounds like some things that are needed. I posted a part above that kind of shows that.

“I think the game has progressively gotten a little softer,” Matheny said. “Man, it had some teeth not that long ago.”

Hicks, the hardest throwing right-handed pitcher in baseball, isn’t a fan of the treatment. Asked if he thinks it will one day pay dividends in his career, he said, “I have no idea. No comment.”
    it's a problem
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    it's a problem
    Let a rookie who hasn't even pitched above Single A and who the club was ticked at for being late all the time continue doing that and see how much of a bigger problem there is. I just see a kid being expected to do his job and not liking it. 5 years from now an article will be written quoting him saying how much this season set him on the path of success. Expecting people to follow rules like being on time is a problem then I would imagine a bunch more teams have some big problems also.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

They call me "chef"

That "hard" stuff is people perpetuating and justifying the a-hole behavior they had to deal with coming up. It is very hard for some people to acknowledge that they were abused and mistreated and it provided no real added value. They want to believe that it was for a reason and that it made them better and perpetuating the myth helps keep their interpretation as 'correct'. Some people take it a step further and feel like they have to be a-holes to other people to keep up the justifying narrative up (or they just want to harm other people since they were harmed by that kind of behavior).

9. Likes:

boognish (07-13-2018)

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post

The stuff about Fowler and Matheny not talking, the stuff about Matheny using Norris as some kind of bullpen narc, and I think the fact that this kid won’t even leave a comment about how he’s treated speaks volumes. If it’s just the standard rookie ribbing, he’d say that. He’s a professional ball player, he knows what being pushed with tough love feels like and if it were just that, he’d say it. Someone tipped off the press on this for a reason, and I can’t imagine it’s coming from outside the clubhouse.
    Last edited by OhioRiverBarge; 07-12-2018 at 12:47 PM.

11. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-12-2018)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The Cardinals reach the half way point of their season below .500 and with a negative run differential, after losing to the Padres 12-2 last night.

13. Likes:

goreds2 (06-30-2019),NC Reds (06-30-2019),Tom Servo (06-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The Cardinals reach the half way point of their season below .500 and with a negative run differential, after losing to the Padres 12-2 last night.
    I feel like they are definitely heading towards some organizational changes should they miss the playoffs yet again this year (and right now it's not looking great for them). In that scenario I'm just wondering how long it would take before the Reds give John Mozeliak a fancy title.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I feel like they are definitely heading towards some organizational changes should they miss the playoffs yet again this year (and right now it's not looking great for them). In that scenario I'm just wondering how long it would take before the Reds give John Mozeliak a fancy title.
    pls no

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    pls no
    I go back and forth on whether it could potentially be a positive or not. On the one hand, whatever touch he had in terms of free agency/trades has clearly evaporated. But on the other hand he's kept the overall Cardinals Way machine whirring great there. Basically I feel like maybe in some 'Executive VP' role or something he could be a good addition but don't let him call all the shots.

I go back and forth on whether it could potentially be a positive or not. On the one hand, whatever touch he had in terms of free agency/trades has clearly evaporated. But on the other hand he's kept the overall Cardinals Way machine whirring great there. Basically I feel like maybe in some 'Executive VP' role or something he could be a good addition but don't let him call all the shots.
    He's solidly pro-analytics, isn't he?

If so, I'm fine with him as a sounding board.

They call me "chef"

I wonder if the Reds could get Goldschmidt as a pinch hitter/bench bat/awful signing after his contract is up.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I wonder if the Reds could get Goldschmidt as a pinch hitter/bench bat/awful signing after his contract is up.
    If Walt was still in charge, I'm sure he'd give up a top prospect.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    He's solidly pro-analytics, isn't he?

If so, I'm fine with him as a sounding board.
    Yeah, which is why it was a pretty bad fit when he had Matheny as manager but apparently that call came from higher up.

Turn Off Ads?