Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rose Colored Glasses

Rose Colored Glasses

I think everyone can see the GLARY weakness of this Reds team. I mean besides Gapper. (Is Gapper still a thing?)

Starting Pitching.

But we Reds fans have recently received three pieces of interesting news.

1. Brandon Finnegan's 1st rehab start at AA: 3 IP 1 H 1BB 1 K... A good start.
    2. Homer's 5IP 5K game in his first rehab start, his second will be in Dayton on Wednesday
    3. Cody Reed's adjustment. Here are his 7 AAA appearances:

DATE OPP W L ERA SV IP H ER BB SO
    05/08/2017 NOR 0 1 10.13 0 2.2 4 3 2 3
    05/13/2017 CHA 0 1 6.75 0 4.0 6 2 3 2
    05/18/2017 @TOL 1 0 4.61 0 7.0 4 2 3 9
    05/23/2017 @PAW 0 0 4.08 0 4.0 6 1 5 4
    05/29/2017 @LHV 0 1 4.01 0 7.0 9 3 4 4
    06/03/2017 LHV 0 1 3.23 0 6.0 5 0 3 8
    06/08/2017 @COL 1 0 2.56 0 8.0 2 0 1 6
    TOTALS 2 4 2.56 0 38.2 36 11 21 36

And here is a sleeper. Zack Weiss is alive. He's a guy you can see in Louisville at least by year's end, maybe a September callup if he's 100%. A boost for a heavily used bullpen.
    DATE OPP W L ERA SV IP H ER BB SO
    05/31/2017 @STL 0 0 0.00 0 0.2 1 0 0 2
    06/03/2017 DUN 1 0 0.00 0 1.2 0 0 0 2
    06/05/2017 DUN 0 0 2.25 1 1.2 3 1 0 2
    06/08/2017 PMB 0 0 2.70 0 2.2 1 1 0 3
    06/10/2017 PMB 0 0 2.35 0 1.0 0 0 0 1
    TOTALS 1 0 2.35 1 7.2 5 2 0 10

Tread water until the starters return, potentially three of them. 5 SP's are working their way back to Cincinnati if you count Desclafani and Stephenson. Not panicking into believing the team is a CONTENDER right now and letting the game come to you is the smart play. Then roll in to mid July with Homer and Finnegan, minus Arroyo and Wojciechowski. Once Reed is ready, he supplants either Garrett or Adleman.

I've said it since last year, at least this team is interesting. It's not like the NL Central has any runaway teams this year. I thought in ST that Pittsburgh would be terrible and that the Reds had a chance to finish at least in 2nd.

I'm unusually optimistic after watching the team get swept in LA. But Saturday was winnable. Sunday should have been. Sweep the Friars and then the Reds are back to around .500 and still interesting.

We need a little rah rah now and then.
    Last edited by TRF; 06-12-2017 at 03:18 PM.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-12-2017),Hoosier Red (06-12-2017),Red Raindog (06-12-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rose Colored Glasses

"Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

5. Likes:

Big Klu (06-13-2017),BillDoran (06-12-2017),cumberlandreds (06-13-2017),goreds2 (06-12-2017),Kingspoint (06-13-2017),klw (06-12-2017),marcshoe (06-12-2017),NebraskaRed (06-12-2017),Raisor (06-12-2017),Razor Shines (06-12-2017),Spider Tre (06-13-2017),TRF (06-12-2017)

In an interesting twist, Rookie Davis & Robert Stephenson's continued struggles with command give credence to Cody Reed having made an actual adjustment.

It would be one thing if the three pitchers just mowed everyone down in AAA, then it would be harder to say for sure that there was actual progress being made rather than just overwhelming inferior hitters.

But if we can see that one pitcher struggled initially, then turned his performance around, while other pitchers are still struggling, it shows a true differentiation.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Reed's problem seems to be north of his neck. He's fine everywhere except when you tell him to start a MLB baseball game. It gives five days for the demons to creep in.
    Why not Tromp?

8. Likes:

goreds2 (06-12-2017),Old school 1983 (06-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Reed's problem seems to be north of his neck. He's fine everywhere except when you tell him to start a MLB baseball game. It gives five days for the demons to creep in.
    North of the neck? Probably guarded by Moat Cailin...

10. Likes:

M2 (06-12-2017)

Man Pills

There's a lot to be optimistic about with regard to this team. The starting pitching ain't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    In an interesting twist, Rookie Davis & Robert Stephenson's continued struggles with command give credence to Cody Reed having made an actual adjustment.

It would be one thing if the three pitchers just mowed everyone down in AAA, then it would be harder to say for sure that there was actual progress being made rather than just overwhelming inferior hitters.

But if we can see that one pitcher struggled initially, then turned his performance around, while other pitchers are still struggling, it shows a true differentiation.
    I think you are seeing what you want to see. Cody's last game was stellar, but up until that he was walking 6 per 9 innings. Stephenson and Davis have had only 2 starts. In Cody's first 2 starts back in AAA he walked 5 in 6.2 innings. Way too early to make any kind of conclusions.
    Last edited by puca; 06-12-2017 at 04:33 PM.

13. Likes:

Falls City Beer (06-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    There's a lot to be optimistic about with regard to this team. The starting pitching ain't it.
    Completely disagree. There are some gems in the minors, and Finnegan showed flashes of being a solid #2. Bailey, when healthy is dancing on the edge of being a #1. The rest have been discussed, and the depth is real. The real question the Reds have isn't is there enough talent, it's can they develop it?
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

15. Likes:

Hoosier Red (06-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I think you are seeing what you want to see. Cody's last game was stellar, but up until that he was walking 6 per 9 innings. Stephenson and Davis have had only 2 starts. In Cody's first 2 starts back in AAA he walked 5 in 6.2 innings. Way too early to make any kind of conclusions.
    That could be.
    While Sample Size alerts are necessary, there's a progression that is encouraging from a peak average of 8.4 Walks/9 after his 3rd start to the current 5.1 Walks/9 after his last one.
    That shows me some progress if nothing else, but it's certainly fragile still.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I'm just not a believer that you can develop that many pitchers to be big league starters at one time. Trying it puts too much pressure on all of them and impedes their growth collectively. This team needs to get a couple of clear front men for this rotation. Assume that one of Bailey or Disco can be one (an iffy assumption IMO) and that Finnegan can continue to develop in the middle. That means two spots at the back end to be filled by whoever can actually do the job between Reed, Garrett, Stephenson, Castillo, Mahle and Romano. The final spot needs to be a veteran acquisition who is better than any of them (which might be only a strong number 3 starter), preferably with 3 years of control remaining.

I think that would sufficiently allow the kids to develop. A couple frontline guys to do the heavy lifting a guy whose already got some of his journey under his belt and then the kids with a couple of years of lumps facing them (with enough of them to rotate guys out who are getting hammered). Add next year's Feldman and keep Adelman around as swingmen who can at least be somewhat competent if disaster strikes. I agree that this is mostly going to get fixed from within, but I don't think it will happen unless an outside guy is brought in to help right the ship. JMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    North of the neck? Probably guarded by Moat Cailin...
    Winter is coming
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

20. Likes:

membengal (06-12-2017)

I thought this thread title was prompting Pete Rose statue weekend coming up.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Girlfriend is a UK fan
    GO STEELERS - Go Buckeyes - Go SIXERS

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    "Rocket man, burning out his fuse up here alone."
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

23. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-14-2017),Wonderful Monds (06-14-2017)

When you're giving up a roster (rotation) spot to Bronson Arroyo, continue to run this guy out there - who just made one of the worst teams in MLB (Padres) look like world beaters, has an ERA over 7, a WHIP of 1.56 - then D'uh, your staring pitching has huge problems.

We have absolutely nothing in our system that can give us any type of improvement, even ever so slight, over what he's throwing out there? He needs to be gone. He's toast. End it. Take your chances with someone, anyone, else.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

25. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    When you're giving up a roster (rotation) spot to Bronson Arroyo, continue to run this guy out there - who just made one of the worst teams in MLB (Padres) look like world beaters, has an ERA over 7, a WHIP of 1.56 - then D'uh, your staring pitching has huge problems.

We have absolutely nothing in our system that can give us any type of improvement, even ever so slight, over what he's throwing out there? He needs to be gone. He's toast. End it. Take your chances with someone, anyone, else.
    The Reds aren't going to release him. They just aren't going to do that to him. This is exactly what I predicted would happen when everyone, including you, said "what's the worst that can happen?"

This.

This is the worst thing that could happen. The owner bringing back a guy the GM can't get rid of.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

27. Likes:

Chip R (06-13-2017),Ron Madden (06-13-2017)

Turn Off Ads?