Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeter Downs

Re: Jeter Downs

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    They still need to sign Downs. And then there is the matter than one or more of them have to progress to the big leagues as a shortstop.

I like Downs. He's solidly built for a HS kid. Might mean he outgrows the position though. His swing looks good to me - simple and fluid, but I'm no expert.
    I wonder if the 3rd pick of Fairchild might not be more for leaving room to sign Downs. Hunter Greene is going to get paid handsomely as the #1. They may be looking for room with this guy.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

SS Jeter Downs - named after Derek - has easy hit tool, easy power, easy speed, easy fielder; advanced prep SS for #Reds at No. 32 #mlbdraft

https://twitter.com/TaylorBlakeWard/...50200084926464

#Reds take Jeter Downs. Yes, he's named after Derek Jeter. Superior athlete, ball explodes off his bat. One of my favorites last summer

https://twitter.com/FPiliereD1/statu...50100491300864

4. Likes:

lollipopcurve (06-13-2017),REDREAD (06-13-2017),Tom Servo (06-13-2017)

I love this pick. Harold Reynolds' comp on Downs is Jean Segura, and the resemblance does seem very strong. Not as fast as Segura, but the RH bat looks really good for a middle infielder. I also like how this pick works alongside the Greene pick -- Downs takes over SS, eliminating speculation that Greene should be there.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

6. Likes:

Benihana (06-13-2017),membengal (06-13-2017),OnBaseMachine (06-13-2017),SoTxRedsFan (06-13-2017),Tom Servo (06-13-2017)

After watching some videos of him hitting, I like the chances of him developing at least average power.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-13-2017),REDREAD (06-13-2017)

I love Frankie Piliere's tweet. As a former scout (and national prospect writer), his opinion holds a bit of weight.

That the "ball explodes off his bat" is nothing but good news.

10. Likes:

marcshoe (06-13-2017),Old school 1983 (06-13-2017),REDREAD (06-13-2017)

I didn't know much about him before the draft, but after reading up, it looks like a great pick. Good choice.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (06-13-2017)

So given his name, there is one obvious question: was he named after Skeeter Barnes?
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

“Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin.” -- Joyce Carol Oates

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    So given his name, there is one obvious question: was he named after Skeeter Barnes?
    No, Hugh Downs.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

15. Likes:

klw (06-13-2017),marcshoe (06-13-2017)

Yeah I'm getting more and more excited about this pick as well. I wonder if he starts in Arizona or Billings?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Yeah I'm getting more and more excited about this pick as well. I wonder if he starts in Arizona or Billings?
    I would guess Billings given that he's slightly older than other HS seniors.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I have a shortstop fetish. The next few years will be fun to watch shake out at the position. They were really hurting there for a while.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

19. Likes:

Benihana (06-13-2017),M2 (07-07-2017),OnBaseMachine (06-14-2017),REDREAD (06-14-2017)

If he is streaky, his nickname will have to be Upson.
    Last edited by klw; 06-14-2017 at 08:32 AM.

21. Likes:

mattfeet (08-22-2017),UKFlounder (06-13-2017)

From the video, its a little difficult to tell if Downs is a pull hitter or can go with the pitch to the opposite field. It appeared he was pulling the ball, but when they changed the camera angle to behind the plate, almost all of the pitches were inside anyway. I would like to see how he handles pitches on the outside part of the plate.
    "I can still throw it in the 70s. And I can throw it in the 80s if I don't want to comb my hair for a week." - Bob Feller at age 66 when asked how hard he could throw.

Interesting that Buckley was describing Downs as "very advanced with the bat...almost like a college player. He's really, really advanced." Makes me think he's definitely headed to Billings, and could potentially even see action at Dayton later this summer if he performs well in Billings.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-14-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

24. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-14-2017),REDREAD (06-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Interesting that Buckley was describing Downs as "very advanced with the bat...almost like a college player. He's really, really advanced." Makes me think he's definitely headed to Billings, and could potentially even see action at Dayton later this summer if he performs well in Billings.
    Agreed with the comments about Billings.

It'll be interesting to see who they choose to go to the Pioneer League.

Turn Off Ads?