Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2017 5th Round pick RHP Max Sceroler- Southeastern Louisiana University

2017 5th Round pick RHP Max Sceroler- Southeastern Louisiana University

Reds 5th round pick:
    , Mac Sceroler Southeastern Louisiana University RHP
    https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker
    The nephew of former Louisiana State greats and eventual big leaguers Ben McDonald and Brett Laxton, Sceroler opted to attend Southeastern Louisiana rather than follow in their footsteps. He became an immediate contributor for the Lions, serving as their closer as a freshman before moving into the rotation in 2016, when the Phillies took a 36th-round flier on him as a sophomore-eligible. He's the program's best pitching prospect since the Diamondbacks made Wade Miley a supplemental first-rounder in 2008. Sceroler's fastball velocity kicked up a notch this year, and he now pitches at 91-93 mph and touches 95. His heater can be an above-average offering at times, as can his 11-to-5 curveball and fading changeup. He also has a slider, though sometimes his breaking pitches blend together. Sceroler throws enough strikes to project as a No. 4 or 5 starter in pro ball. He looked like he might pitch his way into the top three rounds with a hot start in 2017, but he could drop him into the fourth or fifth after he wasn't as sharp toward season's end
    going into the NCAAs his line was: (9-1, 3.24 ERA, 97.1 IP, 30 BB, 108 K)
    Last edited by klw; 06-13-2017 at 02:37 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2017 5th Round pick RHP Max Sceroler- Southeastern Louisiana University

Some game video from last Spring:

Hey, I'll take Ben McDonald Lite in the 5th: http://m.mlb.com/player/118648/ben-mcdonald

He fell just short of the Southland Conference Pitcher of the Year, but Southeastern Louisiana's Mac Sceroler is the most valuable player in the conference, according to Major League Baseball — or at least the player with the most big-league potential.

The Lions ace was the highest draft choice to come out of the Southland this season when the Cincinnati Reds selected the right hander with the 137th overall pick in the fifth round.

Sceroler said he plans to sign with the Reds, which means he will forgo his senior season with Southeastern.

"It feels awesome," Sceroler said. "I turned down the 36th round last year and came back to school. My goal all year was top five rounds. Accomplishing that goal and pursuing my dream, it's been a pretty remarkable day."
    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...4feab1b0a.html
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

lollipopcurve (06-13-2017),RED VAN HOT (06-13-2017)

On the surface, Sceroler's line in Billings since last year have been pretty good.
    68 IP, 3.18 ERA, 10.3 SO/9, 2.9 BB/9, 0.9 HR/9.

However, 44 runs allowed over 68 IP isn't too impressive. The defense behind him has been a major letdown and has resulted in 5.82 RA/9. I wonder if pitching from the stretch has been an issue for him.

Anyway, I was wondering if there's an updated scouting report on him. Does he still have a back-of-the-rotation profile? Is his ceiling still about the same?

8. Likes:

REDREAD (07-26-2018)

Turn Off Ads?