Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds Third Round Pick Jacob Heatherly

Reds Third Round Pick Jacob Heatherly

This is the thread to discuss Jacob Heatherly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Third Round Pick Jacob Heatherly

Big fan of the pick. Highest Buckley has ever taken a lefty, which is kind of crazy if you think about it.
    Go BLUE!!!

4. Likes:

lollipopcurve (06-13-2017)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Looking forward to seeing this guy develop. He's been trending downward but has good upside.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Big fan of the pick. Highest Buckley has ever taken a lefty, which is kind of crazy if you think about it.
    It's nutso.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

"It's just so hard to get left-handed pitching that you think has a chance to start," Buckley said. "He's a big, strong kid with an above-average fastball and really spins the breaking ball well. We think he has a chance to be a solid starting pitcher in the Major Leagues."
    http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/2...n-third-round/
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Here is a nice article on Jacob.. Well worth reading the whole thing. Says he has good command, can touch 95 MPH with his fastball. Summarizes what other sites have said about him:

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017...2017-mlb-draft
    "One person has a more positive outlook [about Dick Williams], and I would guess that was meant as a joke." RedsTeamGo

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

9. Likes:

RedsfaninMT (06-20-2017),Tuff Nut (06-20-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Here is a nice article on Jacob.. Well worth reading the whole thing. Says he has good command, can touch 95 MPH with his fastball. Summarizes what other sites have said about him:

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017...2017-mlb-draft
    Good command is probably inaccurate, at least right now. He walked 39 batters in 69.2 innings as a senior. I'm a fan of the pick, but I'd say that presently, command isn't exactly something I'd be saying he's got.

Never heard a pitch described as frisbee-ish, but it does not sound good, flat and hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Never heard a pitch described as frisbee-ish, but it does not sound good, flat and hanging.
    I'd say that sounds like an Arroyo pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Good command is probably inaccurate, at least right now. He walked 39 batters in 69.2 innings as a senior. I'm a fan of the pick, but I'd say that presently, command isn't exactly something I'd be saying he's got.
    Just repeating what the article said. IMO, his high school stats may not be the best way to decide if he has command or not.
    Maybe his coach was a huge fan of pitching around the better opposing hitters, since there is a pretty big talent disparity in high school.
    If he walks a lot of batters as a pro, then I will start to get worried. Now I am assuming the article is telling the truth about what the scouts are saying and it is not just hype made up to fill the page.

One of the few things that scouts agree on about Heatherly is also his strongest point: his command. He is able to locate all of his pitches with accuracy, earning a plus grade from MLB.com.
    "One person has a more positive outlook [about Dick Williams], and I would guess that was meant as a joke." RedsTeamGo

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If you're a 3rd round caliber MLB draft pick, you aren't being asked to pitch around anyone in high school baseball. 39 walks in 69.2 innings is a 5/9IP walk rate. That's not the by product of the coach asking you to pitch around the other teams best hitter.

Heatherly entered the year ranked significantly higher than he ended the year. That decline in control/command is probably a big reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Just repeating what the article said. IMO, his high school stats may not be the best way to decide if he has command or not.
    Maybe his coach was a huge fan of pitching around the better opposing hitters, since there is a pretty big talent disparity in high school.
    If he walks a lot of batters as a pro, then I will start to get worried. Now I am assuming the article is telling the truth about what the scouts are saying and it is not just hype made up to fill the page.
    I don't buy that one bit. If he has the stuff to be a third round pick in the MLB draft out of high school, he should never ever pitch around a high school hitter. I don't care who it is, he should never be told to pitch around a guy or intentionally walk him. He should be blowing guys away. If he has to pitch around high school hitters, he has no business pitching professionally the same season.

Doug beat me to it.

16. Likes:

Tuff Nut (06-21-2017)

If you're a 3rd round caliber MLB draft pick, you aren't being asked to pitch around anyone in high school baseball. 39 walks in 69.2 innings is a 5/9IP walk rate. That's not the by product of the coach asking you to pitch around the other teams best hitter.

Heatherly entered the year ranked significantly higher than he ended the year. That decline in control/command is probably a big reason why.
    At the same time, Robert Stephenson as a pro has a career 4.3 BB/ 9 IP. If you look at his career since 2014, RS is very close to 5 BB/ 9 IP too, and he was considered a top shelf prospect (although most acknowledge he had trouble with command).

It is worth noting his high school stats, but if the scouts truly say he has good command, I am agreeing with the scouts for now.
    As I said, I am not going to let his High school stats worry me for now, but I acknowledge that maybe the writer is wrong.
    Worth watching.. I am not saying you are wrong, just saying I am not worried about his command at this point. I will wait for the normal first pro 10 innings, then start to worry

Quote Originally Posted by butsch16 View Post
    I don't buy that one bit. If he has the stuff to be a third round pick in the MLB draft out of high school, he should never ever pitch around a high school hitter. I don't care who it is, he should never be told to pitch around a guy or intentionally walk him. He should be blowing guys away. If he has to pitch around high school hitters, he has no business pitching professionally the same season.

Doug beat me to it.
    There could be a number of reasons for his high walks.. I Am speculating.
    Maybe he likes to pitch on the corners and high school umps are just poor quality, and call it wrong?
    Maybe he is working on secondary stuff in games (kind of like spring training)?

I am excited to read that the scouts think his command is a plus..

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Did Heatherly have a growth spurt between his junior and senior years?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

20. Likes:

REDREAD (06-20-2017)

Turn Off Ads?