Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead to the 2018 draft class

Re: Looking ahead to the 2018 draft class

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Ha ha true that!

- - - Updated - - -

Almost certainly no direct relation:

That's what they said about Strom Thurmond.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-19-2017),Number_Fourteen (07-28-2017),Tom Servo (06-19-2017),WrongVerb (06-19-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...8g3TyT6FFyx.97

Loaded Tournament of Stars again.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    A couple players listed as LHP/RHP. Is it always the case there are players like that or is switch-throwing becoming a trend?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Between 2010 and 2016, participation in youth football (age 6-14) has declined by 1/3. This is the result of parents pulling their kids out (or never putting them into) the system because of the concussion issues that have come out. That means these athletes are turning to other sports. One of those sports is going to be baseball.

It's my suspicion that we're seeing the vanguard of those kids who would otherwise be football players but turned to baseball, and that 2018 draft is going to be the first time it's noticeable with the high school kids. That means the next however many drafts are going to have a larger number of insanely athletic kids coming through than have in previous drafts.

Anyway, just something to watch for.
    Which is why the Reds and MLB have been so brilliant with their community fund. What better way to get kids to play baseball and ensure the future of your sport than to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to give them top notch facilities.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

7. Likes:

WrongVerb (06-27-2017)

A couple players listed as LHP/RHP. Is it always the case there are players like that or is switch-throwing becoming a trend?
    I thought the same thing. I don't know if it's becoming a trend, but they are both "switch-pitchers/throwers".
    "Do we need to have 280 brands of breakfast cereal? No, probably not. But we have them for a reason - because some people like them. It's the same with baseball statistics." ~ Bill James

This..

MLB Pipeline
    @MLBPipeline

Brady Singer, the potential No. 1 @MLBDraft pick next year, fans 12 as @GatorsBB take Game 1 of @NCAACWS finals: http://atmlb.com/2sgTjfb
    Media preview
    Brady Singer, Gators Baseball, USA Baseball, MLB Draft and Jim Callis
    10:19pm · 26 Jun 2017
    Jim Callis
    @jimcallisMLB

As LSU's hitters said, Singer was electric. Might go 1-1 in 2018 @MLBDraft.
    7:15am · 27 Jun 2017
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

As LSU's hitters said, Singer was electric. Might go 1-1 in 2018 @MLBDraft.
    Which means he's probably going to be a Phillie.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Which means he's probably going to be a Phillie.
    And if not, then a Giant.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

fangraphs still has the Giants projected to play above .500 ball the rest of the year. If that happens, the Reds could end up with a better draft pick than the Giants. Now that our playoff chances are dashed, Reds' fans should root for the Padres, White Sox and Giants. I do not see the Phillies ending up with a better record than the Reds, but I suppose it is possible.

13. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (06-27-2017),REDREAD (06-27-2017)

We are only 5 games ahead of the Giants, I think we can catch them.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Tournament of Stars, day one:

If the first day of the Tournament of Stars was any indication, both the international competition the US Baseball 18 and under national team will face this fall, and scouts evaluating the 2018 Draft class will see plenty of quality pitching.

Big arms were on display in both games on Day 1 of the tournament that helps USA Baseball determine who will play in September's WBSC U-18 World Cup in Canada. It started with a matchup of lefties Ryan Weathers (Loretto HS, Tenn.) and Matthew Liberatore (Mountain Ridge HS, Peoria, Ariz.).
    The strong starting pitching continued in Game 2 with right-hander Kumar Rocker (North Oconee HS, Watkinsville, Ga.) going toe-to-toe with lefty Carter Lohman (Hamilton Southeastern HS, Fishers, Ind.).
    While the arms did seem ahead of the bats on Tuesday, there were some hitters who certainly held their own. Brice Turang (Santiago HS, Corona, Calif.), who many feel is the best player in the 2018 Draft class, showed an advanced approach at the plate, drawing two walks then lacing a single the other way against Ginn. He and Bobby Witt Jr. (Colleyville Heritage HS, Tex.), the son of the former big leaguer, also showed plus range at shortstop and second.

Brice Turang (Santiago HS, Corona, Calif.), who many feel is the best player in the 2018 Draft class
    Man, if the Reds could land Turang a year after getting Greene...
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

US Collegiate National Team has made its first round of roster cuts.

http://web.usabaseball.com/article.j...vkey=news_usab

I would imagine Singer will not arrive until the Cuba series.

It's early but pitching appears to be well ahead of the hitting at Tournament of Stars.

http://web.usabaseball.com/documents...e_3td8a801.pdf

http://web.usabaseball.com/documents...e_228d46jf.pdf

I didn't put this together until Mayo tweeted about it. Kris Armstrong is one of the switch-throwers. Armstrong, as in Son of Jack.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV7em5YhS_M/

20. Likes:

REDREAD (06-30-2017)

Turn Off Ads?