Turn Off Ads?

Thread: quitting smoking

quitting smoking

I always hated smokers (smoking actually) up through high school but started in college once I quit playing baseball. I became a heavy smoker for a few years and toned it way back when I graduated but was still at least 4-5 a day, sometimes more depending on the day. I have finally made the decision to quit-yesterday marked 2 weeks without one. I know 2 weeks isn't a long time in the big picture but its the longest I have gone since I was 19 years old and I turn 43 in 2 months. I hope I am able to continue it and get cleaned out and "healthy" again. It hasn't been easy but my son turned 5 the other day and I want to make sure I am around as long as I can be for him-this doesn't guarantee anything to that of course but I am going to do everything in my power that I can control to try to help.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

2. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (06-30-2017),Dom Heffner (06-19-2017),goreds2 (07-07-2017),jojo (06-19-2017),Joseph (07-09-2017),SunDeck (06-21-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: quitting smoking

It is a tough habit to break. Best of luck to you and wishing you success.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

5. Likes:

bounty37h (06-16-2017)

Keep at it! I quit ten years ago and have not had a single puff of one since. The power is in you and you alone.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

7. Likes:

bounty37h (06-16-2017),Chip R (06-19-2017),goreds2 (07-07-2017)

Thanks, it has gotten easier every day. The change in routine was harder than the actual desire to have one after the first few days-lunch break during work, when I get home from work, after get the kid don for the night. Next weekend is the hard test I am worried about, 4 days at the beach with my boys from college, lot of drinking going on which is when I would always smoke the most. I have given them all the heads up and to not let me break the streak, and think they will help if it got to where I wanted one. If I make it through those 4 days I think I am good. Caffeine/soda is next to work on breaking the habit of, and then general getting in shape/healthy.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

It's been over two years for me. I smoked for 9 years, quit for 9 and then picked it up again when I thought I could be like my wife and just smoke socially. But I am either a pack-a-day smoker or no smoking at all. A few years ago, I was just feeling crappy all around, very overweight and tired all the time. I joined weightwatchers, started walking, got a fitbit for my birthday, and quit smoking. I then started a Couch to 5k program and started running. I'm now feeling much better and actually started playing on an Over 40 soccer team last year. The cool thing is that, when I take trips with the family, I try to keep up my running so that I don't slack off and I'll take photos on my phone whenever I'm running somewhere interesting. So for example, I have pictures of runs I've taken at places like Niagara Falls, the South Coast of England, and Stonehenge. I would have never started running again and playing soccer if I hadn't quit smoking. I still sometimes have dreams about smoking and when I walk past someone smoking my brand I get nostalgic, but I wouldn't go back now for anything.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

10. Likes:

bounty37h (06-16-2017),goreds2 (07-07-2017),KittyDuran (06-19-2017),WMR (06-16-2017)

That's awesome, and congrats! That is similar to what I want, to become healthy again and enjoy things I haven't done in a long time. My son is starting to play sports and I want to be able to be out there next to him and not be out of breath after I run the length of the field one time. My body in general probably wont let me play baseball anymore even if get back in shape as my back and knees are shot, but I would enjoy playing something. I also want to be a role model for him and don't want him picking up my bad habits.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

12. Likes:

goreds2 (07-07-2017),Yachtzee (06-17-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    That's awesome, and congrats! That is similar to what I want, to become healthy again and enjoy things I haven't done in a long time. My son is starting to play sports and I want to be able to be out there next to him and not be out of breath after I run the length of the field one time. My body in general probably wont let me play baseball anymore even if get back in shape as my back and knees are shot, but I would enjoy playing something. I also want to be a role model for him and don't want him picking up my bad habits.
    Well, I wish you the best in your journey. Just take it a step at a time. And you would be amazed about how quitting smoking and getting active can let you do things you didn't think you could do anymore. For a long time, I didn't think I would be able to run or play sports anymore. I've had back surgery and ACL surgery and hadn't run in years. But then my kids started playing sports and we had this time after practice where they had the kids play a soccer game, kids vs. parents. I didn't want to be the only dad on the sideline, so I got out there, but many it was tough. That was one of the reasons why I decide to change things up and at least be able to play with my kids and not feel like I was going to die. I started with losing weight and, when I got into a routine with managing my eating, I quit smoking. Once I quit smoking and started losing weight, I started walking a lot. And then I felt like I'd like to try a little light jogging. When I found I could handle that, that's when I tried the Couch to 5k program. Losing weight and gaining some muscle strength in my legs and back did wonders for my back and knee issues.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

14. Likes:

Rojo (06-26-2017)

I always hated smokers (smoking actually) up through high school but started in college once I quit playing baseball. I became a heavy smoker for a few years and toned it way back when I graduated but was still at least 4-5 a day, sometimes more depending on the day. I have finally made the decision to quit-yesterday marked 2 weeks without one. I know 2 weeks isn't a long time in the big picture but its the longest I have gone since I was 19 years old and I turn 43 in 2 months. I hope I am able to continue it and get cleaned out and "healthy" again. It hasn't been easy but my son turned 5 the other day and I want to make sure I am around as long as I can be for him-this doesn't guarantee anything to that of course but I am going to do everything in my power that I can control to try to help.

My man, that's awesome. You have my utmost respect for making the decision to quit. The only thing I'd add is that it'd probably be a good idea to include your doctor in this, if you haven't already. He or she should have coping strategies and, if need be, can prescribe something that helps to take the edge off and fight through the cravings.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

As Mitch Hedberg opined, stopping smoking is as hard as starting flossing.

Good for you.

Name:  internethighfive2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  28.0 KB
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Thanks everyone. Tomorrow makes 3 weeks, and I am feeling good I have this thing whipped-I haven't even really had a weak moment to fight through. It helps I had dental surgery to start this whole process off, so wasn't going to be able to smoke during the really hard first week or so. I actually asked for a bike for Fathers Day and am looking forward to going for rides with my son who got his first bike last week for his birthday.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

19. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-22-2017),Dom Heffner (06-26-2017),Gainesville Red (06-22-2017),oneupper (06-22-2017),wolfboy (06-22-2017),Yachtzee (06-19-2017)

Made it through my biggest challenge-4 days at the beach with 3 of my good college buddies. Tempted a few times but easily convinced myself better off without it and powered through. Was worried since I haven't really had a drink, let alone multiple drinks-since I quit and that's when I would smoke the most. Tomorrow makes 4 weeks. Now if I could only beat this cold so I can actually physically feel and breathe better like everyone always said I would when I quit.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

21. Likes:

goreds2 (07-07-2017),jojo (06-26-2017),Yachtzee (06-26-2017)

The best success story's I have seen are my friends that went COLD TURKEY. Nice job to everyone on this thread no matter how you did it. I was lucky as the first time I smoked in High School I woke up with a terrible sore throat and never had one again.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Listened to the 2005 Div. Clincher on WLW - Watched the 2012 Div. Clincher on FOX.
    Watched the 2013 Playoff Clincher on FSO - Fiance' is a UK fan
    GO STEELERS - Go Buckeyes - Go SIXERS

Turn Off Ads?