Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

I was really hoping the Reds would pick up Zac Lowther from Xavier in the early rounds. Unfortunately, Baltimore ended up snapping him up at #74, which is a bit higher than where I saw him rated pre-draft. He's got a 0.93 ERA at Aberdeen so far, with a 25/2 K/BB ratio.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mackenzie Gore struck out 6 in 2.2 innings allowing 1 hit in his second AZL start.

High School pitcher making his second start, does this give any indication of when we might see Greene debut? Or were there situations totally different? Was Gore 'shut down' like Greene was.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Mackenzie Gore struck out 6 in 2.2 innings allowing 1 hit in his second AZL start.

High School pitcher making his second start, does this give any indication of when we might see Greene debut? Or were there situations totally different? Was Gore 'shut down' like Greene was.
    Gore was talking about pitching high school playoff games on short rest, as I recall. So he wasn't shut down until his high school season ended some time in late May (maybe early June?).

I just checked, and his last high school pitching appearance was a complete game shutout on June 2nd in the North Carolina championship series.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 07-25-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Gore was talking about pitching high school playoff games on short rest, as I recall. So he wasn't shut down until his high school season ended some time in late May (maybe early June?).

I just checked, and his last high school pitching appearance was a complete game shutout on June 2nd in the North Carolina championship series.
    And Gore also signed 2 weeks before Greene. So, he had 7 less weeks of rest when he last pitched, and then also got to the facility about 2 weeks sooner after signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I was really hoping the Reds would pick up Zac Lowther from Xavier in the early rounds. Unfortunately, Baltimore ended up snapping him up at #74, which is a bit higher than where I saw him rated pre-draft. He's got a 0.93 ERA at Aberdeen so far, with a 25/2 K/BB ratio.
    I liked Lowther too, picked him in the mock draft for KC. He has a Ben Lively type feel for me, though, pitchability and polish are very high so he'll look real good in the lower levels, probably better than his true talent level but I see a big leaguer for sure
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Austin Beck has gotten off to a pretty miserable start with the A's AZL team, .138/.200/.185 with 3 walks and 23 strikeouts in 17 games.

Our 4th round boy Cash Case has started off slow too in the AZL (.157/.272/.229), but he's at least at got 11 walks and 11 strikeouts in 18 games.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (07-27-2017),REDREAD (08-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Austin Beck has gotten off to a pretty miserable start with the A's AZL team, .138/.200/.185 with 3 walks and 23 strikeouts in 17 games.

Our 4th round boy Cash Case has started off slow too in the AZL (.157/.272/.229), but he's at least at got 11 walks and 11 strikeouts in 18 games.
    Case to me is still the most curious pick in the draft by the Reds. Seemed like a major reach and then grossly over slotted. I hope he works out but kind of a head scratcher to me at this point.

10. Likes:

BillDoran (07-27-2017),WrongVerb (07-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by SErebel11 View Post
    Case to me is still the most curious pick in the draft by the Reds. Seemed like a major reach and then grossly over slotted. I hope he works out but kind of a head scratcher to me at this point.
    I didn't think he was a reach (by the 4th the pre draft rankings start to mean little, at least to me, I'd think the team's own board would deviate pretty widely by that point) but his start has me wondering if you might be right
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Well damn my inclusion of Cash Case for some context backfired, I just wanted to point out how bad Redszone darling and #6 overall pick Austin Beck has been lol. At least Case is making plenty of contact so far, I found the million dollar bonus a little odd but the national guys seemed to think nothing of it.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Well damn my inclusion of Cash Case for some context backfired, I just wanted to point out how bad Redszone darling and #6 overall pick Austin Beck has been lol. At least Case is making plenty of contact so far, I found the million dollar bonus a little odd but the national guys seemed to think nothing of it.
    I am not saying he is a bust or wasted pick at this point. I just found the whole pick to be curious especially after over slotting him for so much. There are a lot of things in scouting etc that we are not privy to but the entire pick slot and signing was a bit odd for me. I was really hoping that they would have gotten the Mace kid signed also so I have wondered to myself if that wouldn't have made more sense to take him there and overslot him for that selection.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Unsigned Draft Pick Jack Conlon To Go To Texas A&M

By Jeff Todd | August 12, 2017 at 11:09am CDT

AUGUST 12: Rather than signing with the Giants, Conlon will head to Texas A&M, D1Baseball.com’s Kendall Rogers tweets. The Orioles originally drafted Conlon but failed to sign him over an issue with his physical. After he was granted free agency, he struck a deal with the Giants. That deal, however, has fallen through after his physical with the Giants turned up a different medical issue, as Rosenthal tweets

Something about Beck gives me the Bo Gentry vibe.

Last edited by klw; 08-12-2017 at 07:50 PM.

16. Likes:

JaxRed (03-07-2018)

https://sports.yahoo.com/john-coppol...230643724.html

"The domestic allegations are unlikely to carry the severity of penalty as the alleged international misdeeds, though the anonymous complaints offered a number of threads to investigate. One involves Drew Waters, a second-round pick this season whom the Braves allegedly offered under-the-table benefits to sign for under the slot value. In interviews with the league, Coppolella and Keith Grunewald, Waters’ agent, denied the allegations, saying that Coppolella’s offer of a car to bridge the difference between the $1.5 million he signed for and the $1.675 million slot value was made in jest, according to sources. When reached by Yahoo Sports, Grunewald declined comment."

For those wondering why we opted for Jeter Downs instead of Drew Waters... Here you go...

18. Likes:

Mitri (10-04-2017),REDREAD (10-03-2017)

Reds offer a vehicle ....... Name:  idiotmobile.gif
Views: 465
Size:  5.7 KB
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

20. Likes:

marcshoe (10-04-2017)

I know there was some discussion of Seth Romano on these intra-webs leading up to the draft. I believe some advocated taking him if he was still there in round 2. Anyhoo, the Nationals drafted him at 25 last year in the 1st round and saw him post a solid 35Ks in just 22 innings last year. Seems like he's up to his old tricks in spring training and has been "sent home"

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/n...ng-team-rules/

Get your life in order Seth, because obviously you've been blessed with a ton of talent.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

Turn Off Ads?