Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 120

Thread: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

  1. #31
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    12,548

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Braves already knew what it would take to sign Drew. I wouldn't be shocked if he had a contract emailed to him the moment his name was announced. He is going to get 8 paid semesters of free school if baseball doesn't work out and a free hunting trip with Chipper Jones.
    I thought MLB paying for college was part of the CBA now. Does that count against the draft cap? I don't know the answer.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    1,096

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I thought MLB paying for college was part of the CBA now. Does that count against the draft cap? I don't know the answer.
    The College Scholarship Program allows teams to offer to fund the remaining college education of players who sign, and the cost of education does not count toward the team’s bonus pool. The plan does not force teams to pay for the education; the exact terms are negotiated before the player signs. There are two key changes to the College Scholarship Plan.

    First, there is a two-year redemption window for the player to take advantage of the scholarship after his career ends.

    Second, players can now redeem the CSP at most accredited institutions (including vocational schools), but not at for-profit universities with graduation rates below 50 percent.


    From reading that, the MLB teams can determine what amount it giving to college. If you brainstorm, you can see how this can be a grey area in contract talks.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

  4. Likes:

    BillDoran (06-16-2017),REDREAD (06-16-2017),redsmetz (06-16-2017)

  5. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    110

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...le-wright.html

    The Braves will spend “approximately $8.7MM” between Wright and their second-round pick, Drew Waters, according to Bowman, which should mean that Waters will agree to a deal in the general vicinity of his $1.675MM slot value.

  6. Likes:

    REDREAD (06-16-2017)

  7. #34
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    Waters at that bonus is a relative steal.

  8. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    12,265

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    That's exactly what I was thinking - Waters would sign for less than/equal to $2M.

    Which means that it likely wasn't a money play - hopefully Buckley is right and Stuart Fairchild is straight up a better talent than Drew Waters. Otherwise, some of us will be sad.
    Go BLUE!!!

  9. #36
    Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    American Canyon, CA
    Posts
    11,538

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    I don't t think the comparison should be Waters vs. Fairchild. It should be Waters vs. Downs. If the Reds were going to take Waters, it would have been in place of the other high school pick, Downs, as it was pretty obvious (by not selecting Waters) that the Reds weren't taking 3 high school kids. Then they would have selected someone from the college ranks instead of Fairchild.

    So your choices are:

    Downs+Fairchild
    or
    Waters+???

    I'm not sure who wins that, but by all accounts, Downs is a really great get. So we'll see.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

  10. #37
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,387

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I don't t think the comparison should be Waters vs. Fairchild. It should be Waters vs. Downs. If the Reds were going to take Waters, it would have been in place of the other high school pick, Downs, as it was pretty obvious (by not selecting Waters) that the Reds weren't taking 3 high school kids. Then they would have selected someone from the college ranks instead of Fairchild.

    So your choices are:

    Downs+Fairchild
    or
    Waters+???

    I'm not sure who wins that, but by all accounts, Downs is a really great get. So we'll see.
    I disagree with this. There was nothing stopping the Reds from taking Waters there at 38 other than A) Money or B) Reds scouts liking Fairchild more.

    You could argue that Fairchild is just as risky as a prep OF bat like Waters, so unless Fairchild gets a significant below slot cut, you have to think the Reds just like Fairchild's upside more.

  11. #38
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    12,066

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    It could be that Waters wanted to go to Atlanta and told teams it would require more to sign him than for what he would take from the Braves.

  12. Likes:

    RED VAN HOT (06-16-2017)

  13. #39
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,387

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    It could be that Waters wanted to go to Atlanta and told teams it would require more to sign him than for what he would take from the Braves.
    Agreed, which is rolled into my A) Money scenario.

    But I don't buy the argument that they didn't draft him because they didn't want to take 3 prep guys in a row. That just doesn't make sense, even if that's how it's been under Buckley's tenure.

  14. #40
    Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    American Canyon, CA
    Posts
    11,538

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Agreed, which is rolled into my A) Money scenario.

    But I don't buy the argument that they didn't draft him because they didn't want to take 3 prep guys in a row. That just doesn't make sense, even if that's how it's been under Buckley's tenure.
    Fair enough. We'll really never know. It'll be interesting to watch them develop for sure.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

  15. Likes:

    Mitri (06-16-2017)

  16. #41
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I don't buy the argument that they didn't draft him because they didn't want to take 3 prep guys in a row. That just doesn't make sense, even if that's how it's been under Buckley's tenure.
    Would Faichild signing for less than Waters prove it to you?

  17. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,516

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Wow, Braves signed Wright for just over $7M. Guess that means Hunter will get full slot.

    What I'm wondering, is how the Braves could go $1.3M over slot for their first pick and still have enough to sign Drew Waters, assuming Waters is significantly over slot as well?
    That's sort of a crazy number for Wright... I mean, what leverage does he have to command $7mil vs. $6mil?

  18. #43
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,387

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Would Faichild signing for less than Waters prove it to you?
    If it is significantly less, maybe. But it appears to me that the Reds really like Fairchild's game.

  19. #44
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    If it is significantly less, maybe. But it appears to me that the Reds really like Fairchild's game.
    I'm sure they like his game.

    That said, if choosing between Fairchild and Waters, they're likely looking at a myriad of things beyond just their respective games.

    In no particular order:
    1. Money
    2. Upside v. floor
    3. Defensive position and the ability to stick
    4. Immeasurables such as baseball IQ, work ethic, willingness to change, intelligence, maturity
    5. Distance from the major leagues

    There are probably at least 10 more I have no idea about.

  20. #45
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,387

    Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm sure they like his game.

    That said, if choosing between Fairchild and Waters, they're likely looking at a myriad of things beyond just their respective games.

    In no particular order:
    1. Money
    2. Upside v. floor
    3. Defensive position and the ability to stick
    4. Immeasurables such as baseball IQ, work ethic, willingness to change, intelligence, maturity
    5. Distance from the major leagues

    There are probably at least 10 more I have no idea about.
    That's my point. It's not because they didnt want 3 prep guys in the first two rounds. It's all the other reasons.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator