Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

Re: 2017 Post-Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    That's my point. It's not because they didnt want 3 prep guys in the first two rounds. It's all the other reasons.
    I think 3 prep guys in the first two rounds play into money, upside v. floor, and distance from the majors. it may even play into immeasurables too.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    That's sort of a crazy number for Wright... I mean, what leverage does he have to command $7mil vs. $6mil?
    By being the best pitcher in the draft and going back to school if he doesn't want your offer. He's the kind of guy that can and would still get millions of dollars as a senior draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    By being the best pitcher in the draft and going back to school if he doesn't want your offer. He's the kind of guy that can and would still get millions of dollars as a senior draft pick.
    What would be his senior leverage? Going independent ball and signing a free agent contract later?

Sure and if everything goes right (i.e. he doesn't get hurt and he maintains his stuff) he may be able to get drafted at the same point next season and get a similar bonus offer. If that doesn't happen he becomes the next Kyle Funkhouser...

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    What would be his senior leverage? Going independent ball and signing a free agent contract later?
    Well, re-enter the draft, but yes. And he's the kind of arm that could do that.

As I suspected, Drew Waters signed for $1.5M, which was 165K under slot.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...gels-reds.html

Will be interesting to monitor his progress vs. Fairchild. Hopefully it's not another Giolito vs. Travieso situation.
    Go BLUE!!!

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-17-2017),Mitri (06-17-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    As I suspected, Drew Waters signed for $1.5M, which was 165K under slot.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...gels-reds.html

Will be interesting to monitor his progress vs. Fairchild. Hopefully it's not another Giolito vs. Travieso situation.
    Even if it is, the Reds took who they believed would have the most long term upside. Getting it wrong is okay, as long as the process was in line with that philosophy. You can't get it right every single time.

10. Likes:

camisadelgolf (06-19-2017),Hoosier Red (06-19-2017),Mitri (06-17-2017)

Anyone able to post Keith Law's draft recap on the Reds (only)? Published yesterday on ESPN Insider
    Also would be curious where Downs, Fairchild, and Case ranked on Law's Top 100. My Insider subscription lapsed last week (of course).
    Thanks in advance.
    Go BLUE!!!

Anyone able to post Keith Law's draft recap on the Reds (only)? Published yesterday on ESPN Insider
    Also would be curious where Downs, Fairchild, and Case ranked on Law's Top 100. My Insider subscription lapsed last week (of course).
    Thanks in advance.
    ESPN's @keithlaw says Reds 'knocked it out of the park' with their draft.

https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/875721477122908160

Thanks in advance.
    Downs was 66, Fairchild 31, Case unranked.

Downs was 66, Fairchild 31, Case unranked.
    I believe he also had Heatherly around 43 or so.

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Lewis signed for $6.725M:

The Twins on Saturday officially signed No. 1 overall pick Royce Lewis. In fact, he put pen to paper in front of a room full of media members. And according to a report, it’s a new record.

Lewis’ $6.725 million contract is a record for a high school player under the current draft system, according to FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman.
    Based on that, what does Greene get? Guessing $6.5M range.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Lewis signed for $6.725M:

Based on that, what does Greene get? Guessing $6.5M range.
    I'd be surprised if Greene doesn't get at least $7M, considering both Wright and McKay will.
    Go BLUE!!!

17. Likes:

REDREAD (06-18-2017)

I think Greene gets at least slot. On the college game the announcers were saying that the Twins called McKay and offered a chance to be 1/1 at a certain figure. He said no. They then speculated McKay would get over 7M given that Wright got it. Perhaps the Lewis selection was based on price more than anything else.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (06-18-2017)

Multiple sources have speculated that Greene is going to get slot or very, very close to it.

Turn Off Ads?