Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 NBA Season..."Closing the gap on the Warriors"

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season..."Closing the gap on the Warriors"

As was inferred around here a few weeks ago,...nobody wanted this job. It's amazing Milwaukee is improving under these conditions. It's a delicate balance of leadership that seems difficult to maintain.

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

The Bucks have named Jon Horst as General Manager.

"Our No. 1 priority is building a championship-caliber organization and we believe Jon is the right person to be our General Manager," said Bucks owners Wes Edens, Marc Lasry and Jamie Dinan. "He has been an integral part of basketball operations for the last nine years, and has helped advise us on every major basketball decision since we purchased the team." The Bucks were not able to bring in any new GM after the Nuggets promoted Arturas Karnisovas, so they kept it in house with this promotion.

Source: NBA.com
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    There's always a chance that the interest in trading for Butler now from either the Boston or Chicago angle may be overstated. Perhaps Ainge is imterested in drafting Tatum or Jackson at #3, while maintaining a chance of two picks in the Top Ten next year.

Anyway, I'd target Millsap as a PF instead of Griffin, as Millsap can both stretch the floor and defend, and, well neither are Griffin's forte.
    Griffin can't stay healthy. Millsap stays pretty healthy. Millsap also won't require a Max contract. We know he won't get one from Atlanta. Olshey tried a few times to get Millsap, but didn't come close.

Timing may dictate who Ainge gets.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-17-2017)

Why not Hayward?

Boston needs both shooters (40% from 4 last year, 37% career) and secondary ball-handlers/ creators (22.2 PER). Hayward's a neutral defender too and an underrated passer (3.6 assists) who averaged only two TO per game last year despite a heavy usage rate.

Butler's the better player (though it's close), but Hayward costs only money. Butler costs both money and prospects/ draft choices.

Were I Ainge, I'd deal the number one to the 76ers for the 3rd pick a couple first round picks later. I'd then trade down again with Sacramento-- 3rd and a 2nd round pick for 5th and 10th. I'd then draft Malik Monk as a shooter off the bench and Zach Collins or Jonathan Isaacs as a 20 MPG shot blocker who can also step out and nail the mid-range shot.

That'd give Boston the following:

PG Thomas/ Smart/ Rozier
    SG Bradley/ Monk/ Young
    SF Hayward/ Brown
    PF Horford/ Crowder/ Mickey
    C Collins/ Olynyk

They can go small, big, max D, drive and space, or any combination of the above.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Why not Hayward?
    I don't think Butler or Hayward. I think Josh Jackson becomes their Starting SF.

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Markelle Fultz's visit to Philadelphia on Saturday is expected to "clear the way toward finalizing a deal with Boston for No. 1 pick," according to Adrian Wojnarowski.

Wojnarowski adds that the package of selections the Sixers would send to the Celtics would likely include Philadelphia's 2017 first-round pick (No. 3 overall), the Lakers 2018 first-round pick, and possibly Philadelphia's 2021 first-round pick. All future picks would include varying degrees of complicated protections. There have also been rumors that the two teams may have to wait until draft night to consummate the deal, as the Celtics want to make sure Josh Jackson is on the board at No. 3.

Source: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter

Boston could add Dedmon AND Millsap, draft a big in the 2nd, continue to develop Mickey, have the Lakers lottery pick next season to go after another big, mix well, bake and see what's needed next Summer.

I think Hayward stays in Utah anyway. Their building something there which he is a dynamic piece of.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I think Hayward stays in Utah anyway. Their building something there which he is a dynamic piece of.
    Simply put: I hope so.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

Why not Hayward?

Boston needs both shooters (40% from 4 last year, 37% career) and secondary ball-handlers/ creators (22.2 PER). Hayward's a neutral defender too and an underrated passer (3.6 assists) who averaged only two TO per game last year despite a heavy usage rate.

Butler's the better player (though it's close), but Hayward costs only money. Butler costs both money and prospects/ draft choices.

Were I Ainge, I'd deal the number one to the 76ers for the 3rd pick a couple first round picks later. I'd then trade down again with Sacramento-- 3rd and a 2nd round pick for 5th and 10th. I'd then draft Malik Monk as a shooter off the bench and Zach Collins or Jonathan Isaacs as a 20 MPG shot blocker who can also step out and nail the mid-range shot.

That'd give Boston the following:

PG Thomas/ Smart/ Rozier
    SG Bradley/ Monk/ Young
    SF Hayward/ Brown
    PF Horford/ Crowder/ Mickey
    C Collins/ Olynyk

They can go small, big, max D, drive and space, or any combination of the above.
    I like this idea...A Lot. Even if they miss out on Hayward, they're still strong at SF with Crowder and Brown and Nader, should he make the team. The biggest issues against the Cavs -- and Bulls, for that matter --were rebounding and rim protection. But, as you mentioned, shooting/shot creation are still priorities. Monk would help immensely there. And, even if Issac and Collins are off the board at 10, they can select Jarrett Allen with his 7'6" wingspan. Then, as I mentioned before, I'd make a push to sign Paul Millsap, who won't require a Max contract. Even then, with the Philly trade, you've placed yourself in a position of possibly owning two top 10 or top 5 picks in '18.

On Sacramento's end, they're virtually guaranteed to land either Fox or Ball at #3, with two second round picks, which allow for moving up if need be. Either way, solid SF prospects should be there for the taking in the second round. And, of course, Fultz goes to Philly.

A win-win-win scenario.
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

I heard Monk is notorious for poor shot selection.

Having watched all his games, I can say you heard wrong. Like all shooters, he has irrational confidence, but, for the most part, he shoots what's given to him.

Monk's issues are two-fold. He tends to fall in love with a mid-range fade-away when challenged, and he'll occasionally drive into the teeth of the defense instead of settling for easy floaters. He'll need to fix those moving forward, but, for the most part, he's going to be lethal and ready (offensively) from the get-go.

Defensively is another story. So is rebounding.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-18-2017)

"Notorious" is a stretch. Sure, that's something he can work on, for sure. Then again, virtually everyone projected to go 2-10 or so is far from a finished project. No, Monk isn't considered as much of a lock as Fultz -- By all accounts, the only concern about Fultz is whether he is a true PG --but scouts are convinced that his shooting, scoring with the tools to be a solid defender will translate to the next level. It should also be noted that Monk was a high school PG, who moved to 2G to help accommodate Fox at UK. Markkanen can also shoot, but the million dollar question is whether or not he can offer anything else to a team.
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

Having watched all his games, I can say you heard wrong. Like all shooters, he has irrational confidence, but, for the most part, he shoots what's given to him.

Monk's issues are two-fold. He tends to fall in love with a mid-range fade-away when challenged, and he'll occasionally drive into the teeth of the defense instead of settling for easy floaters. He'll need to fix those moving forward, but, for the most part, he's going to be lethal and ready (offensively) from the get-go.

Defensively is another story. So is rebounding.
    Not that I disagree with anything you've written, FWIW, though, Chad Ford's ESPN Insider Draft profile of Monk includes claims from a consensus of NBA Scouts that Monk possesses all of the tools to be a solid defender.
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Not that I disagree with anything you've written, FWIW, though, Chad Ford's ESPN Insider Draft profile of Monk includes claims from a consensus of NBA Scouts that Monk possesses all of the tools to be a solid defender.
    Oh, he has the tools to be a lock-down defender.

He hasn't done it yet though.

He's typically a step slow on rotations and often got caught watching the ball (especially early), allowing for back door cuts.

My attempt at a mock draft:

1.LA Lakers-Markell's Fultz (PG-Washington)
    2.Boston-Jayson Tatum (SF-Duke)
    3.Philadelphia-Josh Jackson (SF-Kansas)
    4.Phoenix-Jonathan Isaac (SF-Florida St)
    5.Sacramento-De'Aron Fox (PG-Kentucky)
    6.Orlando-Malik Monk (SG-Kentucky)
    7.Minnesota-Lauri Markannen (PF-Arizona)
    8.NY-Frank Ntilinka (PG-France)
    9.Dallas-Dennis Smith (PG- NC State)
    10.Sacramento-Zach Collins (PF-Gonzaga)
    11.Charlotte-OG Anunoby (SF-Indiana)
    12.Detroit-Donovan Mitchell (SG-Louisville)
    13.Denver-Justin Jackson (SF-UNC)
    14.Miami-Lonzo Ball (PG-UCLA)
    15.Portland-Justin Patton (C-Creighton)
    16.Chicago-John Collins (PF-Wake Forest)
    17.Milwaukee-Bam Adebayo (PF-Kentucky)
    18.Indiana-Jarrett Allen (C-Texas)
    19.Atlanta-Tony Bradley (C-UNC)
    20.Portland-Jordan Bell (PF-Oregon)
    21.OKC-Terrance Ferguson (SG-Australia)
    22.Brooklyn-Harry Giles (PF-Duke)
    23.Toronto-Ivan Rabb (PF-Cal)
    24.Utah-TJ Leaf (PF-UCLA)
    25.Orlando-Frank Jackson (PG-Duke)
    26.Portland-Isaiah Hartenstein (PF-Lithuania)
    27.Brooklyn-Ike Anigbogu (C-UCLA)
    28.Boston-Luke Kennard (SG-Duke)
    29.San Antonio-Semi Ojeleye (SF-SMU)
    30.Utah-DJ Wilson (SF-Michigan)

1. I have the Lakers moving up to take Fultz. Lakers will give up both first round picks plus Julius Randle.

2. Yes, I also have Lonzo Ball going on a slide. I think the concern over LaVar Ball, lackluster workouts, and throwing everything into the Lakers is going to backfire. Miami makes the most sense as Riley and Spoelstra reel him in and pair him with Justice Winslow.

3. I think Jayson Tatum is more of a Danny Ainge type of player than Josh Jackson. If Boston trades down I don't think they will be doing so for Jackson but it will be a smokescreen similar to last year with Jaylen Brown over Jamal Murray.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    1. I have the Lakers moving up to take Fultz. Lakers will give up both first round picks plus Julius Randle.
    Probably not. David Aldridge and Adrian Wojnarowski are both reporting that it's a done deal; to be finalized Monday with the Sixers sending Boston the 3rd selection plus LA's 2018 and SAC's 2019 picks (allegedly with protections). That makes sense because I don't think there's any way that Fultz gets diverted from Boston for a Philly visit unless there was a deal already agreed to in principle, but contingent on making sure that Fultz' foot wasn't broken (Philly fans will get that joke). And I don't see any way Fultz agreed to work out for a team with only an outside chance of being able to draft him.

The Lakers couldn't outbid that, even if they did have interest as reported. Their late first round pick this season is essentially valueless as low as it is and Randle wouldn't make up the gap even if he did make sense for the Celtics.

Now, it's interesting that the Celtics didn't wait until the draft to see who the Lakers grabbed with the #2 pick. To me, that makes it less likely that the Celtics will actually make a selection for their own team and more likely that they'll package that pick with other items for Jimmy Butler as rumored. I would not anticipate Ball dropping below pick 3- especially if it's really Chicago making the selection. I would, however, see Tatum dropping to the bottom of the top 10; if not out of it entirely. He's like a shorter clone of Jah Okafor. If Ainge actually kept the #3 pick and used it on Tatum, I'd chuckle.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 06-17-2017 at 11:35 PM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-18-2017)

Turn Off Ads?