Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ryan Hendrix

Ryan Hendrix

There was a debate on here a few weeks back with some saying Hendrix should be promoted. I said that he wasn't ready, that his strikeouts were coming on pitches that higher level hitters wouldn't swing at, and to watch for progress in terms of getting swings and misses on pitches in the zone. He has now reached that level. His command and confidence have shown the kind of improvement to a point where I do think he is ready to move up.

Hendrix was put back in the closer role about two weeks ago. Since that happened, I believe he has thrown eight innings, mostly in high stress situations for a team that was trying to earn a playoff spot. He not only converted every save, he did not allow a single base runner. Eight perfect innings.

This is the perfect case to show why you can't promote guys based on stats. When we had this debate, he was throwing only 30 percent of his fastballs for strikes. If you would have moved him up before, he would have gotten clobbered, lost all his confidence, and been wrecked as a prospect. They handled this perfectly.

Hendrix has big league closer stuff. He hits 97 consistently and has a plus plus breaking ball.

2. Likes:

Benihana (06-19-2017),BillDoran (06-19-2017),Bourgeois Zee (06-19-2017),Edd Roush (06-20-2017),Knightro28 (06-19-2017),lollipopcurve (06-19-2017),mace (06-19-2017),mamrice (06-19-2017),marcshoe (06-19-2017),OGB (06-19-2017),Old school 1983 (06-19-2017),OnBaseMachine (06-19-2017),RED VAN HOT (06-19-2017),RedlegJake (06-19-2017),REDREAD (06-19-2017),Sea Ray (06-19-2017),Stingray (04-20-2019),Tuff Nut (06-19-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan Hendrix

Thanks for the perspective.
    It's a ton of fun playing the follow the farm game, but for most of us our resources are scouting writeups and the occasional video clips.
    It's really cool to be able to get this type of insight from yourself, doug, and the occasional forum member who lives close enough to watch these guys in person regularly.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

I loved the guys stuff when I saw him pitch this spring. IMO he's a big league pitcher for sure barring an injury.

With all the issues the Reds bullpen has had and how David Bell is managing, I hope we see Ryan Hendrix in Cincinnati this summer. I think he's a better prospect than anyone pitching in the Louisville pen. He's 24 so it's time to start thinking about a timetable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    With all the issues the Reds bullpen has had and how David Bell is managing, I hope we see Ryan Hendrix in Cincinnati this summer. I think he's a better prospect than anyone pitching in the Louisville pen. He's 24 so it's time to start thinking about a timetable.
    Why do you say such a thing? Once above A ball, he seems to walk a bunch of guys. He's only in AA right now and I don't see that at all. As a matter of fact, I'd put him behind Kuhnel, Powers and Fossas just on Chattanooga. I'm guessing vets like Anthony Bass, Ian Krol and Matt Bowman are next in line, and that assumes they don't stick a starter like Sims or Vlad in the pen if they think they need to make a move.

Personally, I hope they make a trade or two to address the pen. Garrett and Stephenson are doing well now and the pen may be in good shape if they keep it up, but I don't trust them yet and I hope they go get a late inning guy.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

First of all, the Reds bullpen is pretty darn solid with the exception of Duke. They have the 5th best bullpen ERA in the majors. Iglesias looks like he's getting it together. Last 2 outings have dropped his ERA 1.50

Hughes' ERA looks bad because of Duke letting 3 inherited runners score with 2 outs. If Duke gets an out on first guy, Hughes' ERA would be 3.11. Even with that his ERA has dropped 1.80 points in last few days also.

So....with the exception of Duke, barring injuries/trades I don't see any openings coming for a while. If they drop Duke, Krol probably gets that spot as a lefty. And when they do tap other guys, Hendrix is probably behind Kuhnel on the same team.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    First of all, the Reds bullpen is pretty darn solid with the exception of Duke. They have the 5th best bullpen ERA in the majors. Iglesias looks like he's getting it together. Last 2 outings have dropped his ERA 1.50

Hughes' ERA looks bad because of Duke letting 3 inherited runners score with 2 outs. If Duke gets an out on first guy, Hughes' ERA would be 3.11. Even with that his ERA has dropped 1.80 points in last few days also.

So....with the exception of Duke, barring injuries/trades I don't see any openings coming for a while. If they drop Duke, Krol probably gets that spot as a lefty. And when they do tap other guys, Hendrix is probably behind Kuhnel on the same team.
    Nobody even has 10 innings yet. We know who Lorenzen is and he's middle innings multi-inning guy who will be ho hum at best. So far in his career Garrett hasn't even been that. He's been a one or two hitters guy and then goes south. He's been good this year. I hope he keeps it up, but he doesn't become the high leverage plan on 8 innings or so for me. Same goes for Stephenson and he's been even worse historically. Hughes and Hernandez are decent vets who overachieved last year. They are both solid middle relievers IMO, but I want somebody better to bridge the gap to the 9th (or to pitch the 9th with Iglesias being the guy to bridge the gap). Peralta might be a decent match-up lefty for tough situations. Still in wait and see mode. Add another guy and it's a pen you can win with. Stephenson and Garrett turn out to be for real and it's a championship caliber pen. I just don't count on it. Been burned too many times with flashes from these guys and then reality sets in.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Why do you say such a thing? Once above A ball, he seems to walk a bunch of guys. He's only in AA right now and I don't see that at all. As a matter of fact, I'd put him behind Kuhnel, Powers and Fossas just on Chattanooga. I'm guessing vets like Anthony Bass, Ian Krol and Matt Bowman are next in line, and that assumes they don't stick a starter like Sims or Vlad in the pen if they think they need to make a move.

Personally, I hope they make a trade or two to address the pen. Garrett and Stephenson are doing well now and the pen may be in good shape if they keep it up, but I don't trust them yet and I hope they go get a late inning guy.
    We have very few in our pen who can get you a strike out. Hendrix has that kind of arm. I know walks have been his bug-a-boo. Frankly that's been a bug-a-boo with every young pitcher the Reds have brought up in the past few yrs. I think you're underestimating him

Turn Off Ads?