Turn Off Ads?

Thread: For the fishermen out there......

For the fishermen out there......

A buddy of mine showed me this earlier. I thought maybe some of you might find it interesting.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/can-yo...ource=facebook
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: For the fishermen out there......

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    A buddy of mine showed me this earlier. I thought maybe some of you might find it interesting.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/can-yo...ource=facebook
    Not surprising. I don't think we have a natural lake in our state other than Erie and that's not really a fishing paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Not surprising. I don't think we have a natural lake in our state other than Erie and that's not really a fishing paradise
    No you don't have any natural lakes in Ohio, but there are a lot of states out there that don't have them either. But Ohio does have Erie and that is the walleye capital. People flock from all over to fish for 'eyes.

I don't even buy an Ohio license. I keep my bass boat at Dale Hollow. I fish there about 40 days a year and take a week to the North Channel of Lake Huron, and fish in Florida during our Christmas vacation.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

I made a list before I looked, but didn't account for "dealing with crowds" as a negative, as I was just thinking of "places to fish". I'm not buying Kentucky as 6th worse. There has to be a thousand streams coming off the Adirondacks with fish in them. Also, New Mexico is going to have a thousand streams coming out of the mountains, too.

My Top-10, and correct me on the wrong ones.

1. Nevada
    2. Arizona
    3. Utah
    4. Oklahoma
    5. Kansas
    6. North Dakota
    7. South Dakota
    8. New Jersey
    9. Delaware
    10. West Virginia (assuming that decades of coal-mining has devastated all the streams).

Fracking is ruining everything.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

Rojo (07-31-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I made a list before I looked, but didn't account for "dealing with crowds" as a negative, as I was just thinking of "places to fish". I'm not buying Kentucky as 6th worse. There has to be a thousand streams coming off the Adirondacks with fish in them. Also, New Mexico is going to have a thousand streams coming out of the mountains, too.

1. Nevada
    2. Arizona
    3. Utah
    4. Oklahoma
    5. Kansas
    6. North Dakota
    7. South Dakota
    8. New Jersey
    9. Delaware
    10. West Virginia (assuming that decades of coal-mining has devastated all the streams).

I don't know if there is a wrong one there, it is a good list although I would put Pennsylvania in over North Dakota.

Feels to me like the person probably associates Lake Erie with Cleveland mostly. There's like 300+ miles of shoreline in Ohio. Port Clinton is an actual fishing village. Hard for me to believe given that there are 48 better states but it's not my area of expertise either.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Feels to me like the person probably associates Lake Erie with Cleveland mostly. There's like 300+ miles of shoreline in Ohio. Port Clinton is an actual fishing village. Hard for me to believe given that there are 48 better states but it's not my area of expertise either.
    LOL, I get to Port Clinton 4 times a year. I love it and you are right there are not 48 better states.

11. Likes:

Redsfaithful (07-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    LOL, I get to Port Clinton 4 times a year. I love it and you are right there are not 48 better states.
    Probably because no one wants to eat anything that comes out of Lake Erie

Probably because no one wants to eat anything that comes out of Lake Erie
    Pretty dumb - your main risk is mercury which is true of most fish caught anywhere.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

Pretty dumb - your main risk is mercury which is true of most fish caught anywhere.
    I'm not a big fish eater but one of my favorites is Lake Perch and I think that often comes from Lake Erie. I know I'm spoiled with the cleanliness and beauty of northern Lake MI but I wouldn't get caught dead swimming in Lake Erie. It's a pit

I'm not a big fish eater but one of my favorites is Lake Perch and I think that often comes from Lake Erie. I know I'm spoiled with the cleanliness and beauty of northern Lake MI but I wouldn't get caught dead swimming in Lake Erie. It's a pit
    The algae blooms are bad. But it's been improving. Unfortunately the cleanup efforts are set to get cut - I'm hoping Rob Portman will step up. He's talked a big game about Lake Erie, now he has to come through when it's tough.

I am not trying to make this political at all btw, it shouldn't be a partisan issue. It's a resource that should be taken care of and Portman has always agreed

Lakeside, where I own a home, just built a pool, which was smart. It's a hedge against algae. Lots of families rent a house and vacation there one week a summer, and it's always been a bummer in that scenario if the algae was too bad to swim. Even if the lake were pristine, it's nice to have a heated pool given the temps even in the summer. I personally wouldn't swim in northern Lake MI because I'm a baby about cold water.
    Last edited by Redsfaithful; 07-22-2017 at 03:55 PM.

The algae blooms are bad. But it's been improving. Unfortunately the cleanup efforts are set to get cut - I'm hoping Rob Portman will step up. He's talked a big game about Lake Erie, now he has to come through when it's tough.

I am not trying to make this political at all btw, it shouldn't be a partisan issue. It's a resource that should be taken care of and Portman has always agreed

Lakeside, where I own a home, just built a pool, which was smart. It's a hedge against algae. Lots of families rent a house and vacation there one week a summer, and it's always been a bummer in that scenario if the algae was too bad to swim. Even if the lake were pristine, it's nice to have a heated pool given the temps even in the summer. I personally wouldn't swim in northern Lake MI because I'm a baby about cold water.
    No question swimming in northern Lake MI isn't for everyone. If we're lucky water temps will get to 72 degrees. It takes a little getting used to. As far as I'm concerned it's "swimmable" for about 6 weeks. But we don't have algae blooms nor do we have fecal count issues. Even when the water's too cold to swim, it's still fun to boat and fish. I've not been to many areas of Lake Erie but the places I have seen around Cleveland are gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

1. Nevada
    2. Arizona
    3. Utah
    4. Oklahoma
    5. Kansas
    6. North Dakota
    7. South Dakota
    8. New Jersey
    9. Delaware

I'm going to be provincial and make a case for Northern California. I don't mean the Bay Area or Tahoe, there's still another third of third of the state north of there. And it's fairly unpopulated. Not pristine per se. But completely befouled either.

The area around Mt. Shasta is gorgeous and very recognizable.

Name:  768962_1325900327648_480_360.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  45.7 KB
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

When I lived in the Bay Area, everyone went to Lake Shasta for water recreation. The Lake seems like it's a hundred miles long. The Northern California you're talking about is beautiful. My favorite place in the world, Bandon shoreline of Oregon, is not far from the Norhern California border (exactly like Cornwall, England's shoreline, but much warmer).

Where I am now though, I can get to five different rivers in 45 minutes and the ocean in 90 (it was a rare 95 degrees today at Cannon Beach). I love going to the Rivers...was swimming in the Sandy River yesterday afternoon/evening, and on Monday will tind some Falls to hike into and swim at all day. Too hot to fish.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-03-2017 at 01:37 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?