Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2017-18 Euro soccer thread

It's all gone wrong for Chelsea so far at the Bridge. They find themselves three goals and a man down at halftime.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Was just looking at the format for the Scottish League Cup, and I kind of love it. Big fan of having a regional group stage and of having five teams per group. Like that they're going straight to a shootout after 90 with 2 points for the winner and 1 for the loser. Really dig that they use it at the start of the season, with everyone playing for a cup right off the jump.
    It's polarised opinion over here and I'm not a massive fan myself. They start the competition in the middle of July so it has a pre-season feel to it and the regionalised stages aren't that well thought out. It could work but needs some tweaks.

Another fantastic win for Hibs today away to Rangers. Another 3-2 win against them sees us joint top of the league.

Marco Asensio plunges a dagger into the heart of Barca -

Madrid goes on to win the Spanish Super Copa by a 5-1 aggregate.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

With TBS taking over Champions League coverage next year, looks like most games are going behind a paywall.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...lea/574782001/

With NBCSports moving many of their EPL games behind a paywall, I think we've reached peak availability of soccer on TV and now we're seeing a Balkanization of soccer coverage as the various rights holders monetize their offerings for cord-cutters to the detriment of cable subscribers. Personally, I think this is terrible for soccer fans in the US. I like watching MLS, EPL, Champions League, La Kiya, etc. Having a cable subscription with a DVR allows me to watch as much soccer as I want. But if TBS, NBC, ESPN, Fox, BeIn sport, and other rights holders put their games behind paywalls on their own individual streaming services, the cost to watch soccer the way we can now is going to be enormous. It's not like NFL, NBA, or MLB, where you have one league and one streaming service to subscribe to.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Hard to believe how bad Arsenal looks today at Liverpool.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Hard to believe how bad Arsenal looks today at Liverpool.
    I don't know what it takes to get Wenger out. That was embarrassing.

Arsenal looked terrible today. No defense or even pressure on the ball, stupid giveaways. Looks like a team that doesn't have enough talent to keep its level high during practice sessions.

Meanwhile, Liverpool ought to sell Coutinho. Team looks fine without him.

Arsenal looked terrible today. No defense or even pressure on the ball, stupid giveaways. Looks like a team that doesn't have enough talent to keep its level high during practice sessions.

And that's the worst part of today is Arsenal has more talent than Liverpool (particularly without Coutinho and Lallana). The tactics were awful and there were no adjustments to counter the pace Liverpool had on the wings. And for the players sake the effort wasn't there for the tactics to even matter.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm going back and forth on this. He's inconsistent and the team usually doesn't seem to have trouble scoring. Yet he always seems to bail them out a few times a year, and without him, there's no true playmaker in midfield.

But if they turn the money into Van Dijk and maybe another midfield option, maybe the team's better anyway. For all the grumbling about transfer spending (until they signed Salah, they were actually net-negative since Klopp took over), the hit rate on recent transfers has been very good.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    But if they turn the money into Van Dijk and maybe another midfield option, maybe the team's better anyway. For all the grumbling about transfer spending (until they signed Salah, they were actually net-negative since Klopp took over), the hit rate on recent transfers has been very good.
    Wonder if there's any substance to the Renato Sanches rumors? If it were a straight up trade, I'd say Van Dijk and Sanches for Coutinho is a bit of a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    And that's the worst part of today is Arsenal has more talent than Liverpool (particularly without Coutinho and Lallana). The tactics were awful and there were no adjustments to counter the pace Liverpool had on the wings. And for the players sake the effort wasn't there for the tactics to even matter.
    I have heard the counter argument to Wegner being kept is that Arsenal won't have the grind of the Champions League this season which should make them better through this season. But man what a tough start for them. I have no dog in the fight, but I find it funny that Wegner is so stubborn and motivated to keep his job even as Arsenal has pretty much become an afterthought when it comes to best clubs in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have heard the counter argument to Wegner being kept is that Arsenal won't have the grind of the Champions League this season which should make them better through this season. But man what a tough start for them. I have no dog in the fight, but I find it funny that Wegner is so stubborn and motivated to keep his job even as Arsenal has pretty much become an afterthought when it comes to best clubs in Europe.
    Also one of the two teams played a mid week Champions League game last week (hint, it wasn't Arsenal). Arsenal actually has to play in the Europa League this year, which can be even more difficult for domestic league, because those games are all on Thursday, where Champions League is played on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Also one of the two teams played a mid week Champions League game last week (hint, it wasn't Arsenal). Arsenal actually has to play in the Europa League this year, which can be even more difficult for domestic league, because those games are all on Thursday, where Champions League is played on Tuesday and Wednesday.
    Isn't the Europa league much easier to navigate, especially in the group stage? It seems like a team like Arsenal can play a majority of backups in the early Europa League games and still be the more talented club.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Wonder if there's any substance to the Renato Sanches rumors? If it were a straight up trade, I'd say Van Dijk and Sanches for Coutinho is a bit of a steal.
    Renato's heading to Swansea on loan. Did not see that coming.

Liverpool just signed Oxlade-Chamberlain. I'm always leery of pricey moves when it's not obvious how he immediately slots into the best eleven, I'll have to trust Klopp on this one. Speaking of them, the other day I read "Liverpool signs Naby Keita..." and I'm all, wow, I can't believe they pulled that one off! "... next summer." Arrrrrrrgh.

With Ox in, Keita coming next year and them still pursuing Van Dijk and Thomas Lemar, I feel like they'll let the Coutinho move to Barca go through at the last minute. Could be wrong.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

16. Likes:

M2 (08-31-2017)

Mbappe to PSG for 180M euro. Does that club actually have this much money? Alexis Sanchez getting sold to Man City apparently is predicated on Arsenal bringing in someone else.

Turn Off Ads?