Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Jose Siri Thread

Making A Pass By GABP OhioRiverBarge's Avatar

Hey Siri, where can I discard a brutally murdered baseball?

Thought we could use a thread updating everyone on Siri's progress, and at least at first, specifically his nearing-historic streak.

Today he got a hit in his 31st consecutive game, going 3/4 with two HR, a 2B, a BB, and 4 RBIs. Monster game for the youngster. Expecting great things. Keep the streak!
    "In our sundown perambulations of late through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base,' a certain game of ball. We wish such sights were more common among us...The game of ball is glorious..." -Walt Whitman, 1846

2. Turn Off Ads?

A Jose Siri Thread

I looked, I don't see that he has one all to himself, and, at this point, I think he's earned one.

So...after last night's fireworks now sitting at .298/.343/.539 for an .881 OPS. 18 HR. 29 SB. That's all pretty damn awesome, and he just turned 22 a few days ago.

The disquieting is the 92 Ks to 22 BBs. And I guess he is now a tad bit old for level, but the power/speed combo is nice.

Doug's quick note on him from a few days ago:

http://redsminorleagues.com/2017/07/...reak-31-games/

Doug on Siri from last December:

http://redsminorleagues.com/2016/12/...cts-jose-siri/

Doug on Siri in May when Siri started to go nuclear:

http://redsminorleagues.com/2017/05/...-things-plate/

And Doug on Siri making an impression back in spring training:

http://redsminorleagues.com/2017/03/...ring-training/

At the least, we can hope the team has backed into something really interesting. Siri getting better at controlling the strike-zone would be hella nice at some point, but, at a minimum, he's maybe gotten enough helium that IF the reds get into a mode where they are dealing for an established big league starting pitcher at some point in the next year, Siri might now be a nice piece to have available to put into such a deal.

Fun to see kids breakout, at any rate. Hope he can sustain this.
    Last edited by membengal; 07-27-2017 at 10:33 AM.

4. Likes:

Benihana (07-28-2017),mace (07-27-2017),OnBaseMachine (07-27-2017),REDREAD (08-04-2017)

Re: A Jose Siri Thread

I look at the Dayton box scores pretty regularly to follow the exploits of my current favorite prospect Taylor Trammel. I found out about the hitting streak last week so every day I see if Siri got a hit to keep it going and when I look last night I see he hit a couple of HRs and he now has 8 on the season, then I look again and I'm like wait, that's not 8, its 18! Then I look at his season numbers, especially since May and I am like, wow, legit CF, .300 hitter, nearly 20 HRs, nearly 30 SBs.....then I look at the BB/K rates and I start having flashbacks.

When I was in high school I worked at a McDonalds. One day I walk into work and see one of my buddies is working the drive thru with this new trainee who is absolutely smoking hot. I see him in the break room a couple hours later and say wow, you pulled a great gig today and he said, "you think so? Go walk into the drive through booth and see how sweet it is." So I walk into the drive through booth to get a soda and it turns out the girl smells bad, I mean real bad. I quickly evacuate back to burger making duty.

When I see Jose Siri's numbers, especially since May its like seeing that girl the first time and you are like WOW! Then you see the BB/K ratio and the direction its been trending since May and its like walking into that drive thru where you just leave thinking oh, if this could really be something if not for this one issue, but its a big issue.

For me Siri is a fun guy to dream on as to what he could be, but if he can't fix the plate discipline to a reasonable level he is not going anywhere.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (08-04-2017),RiverRat13 (07-27-2017),Scooter (07-28-2017)

I don't care one whit about the strikeouts. I just don't. The walks - that's another issue. That is worrisome and maybe it's somewhat related (swinging out of the zone too often and missing) but his raw strikeout rate is 23.3% - that's 150 Ks in 650 PAs. That's territory a lot of power hitters occupy. Can he become more selective and learn to recognize and layoff pitches outside the zone? Well, he either will or pitchers at higher levels will never give him a strike to swing at. Like with all hitters succeeding in the low levels, I am hopeful, but I'm not getting on anyone's hype train full steam until they show they can hit in Pensacola and the Southern League. Might note his BABIP is .356 - some will worry about that, too, but I don't think that is excessively high. It is a bit higher than probably sustainable.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Also of note, Siri's apparently a well above average defensive CF. That in itself means he's got a lower threshold of offensive acceptability. With his apparent power and speed, he should provide value as a fourth OF or second-division starter with enough pop to run into 10 - 15 HR and enough speed to steal 20+ bases with 400 or so ABs. A line of 240/300/425 would be enough for Siri to provide as much value as Hamilton currently, IMO. (And reason to deal Hamilton or decide to let him go via free agency.)

That's not to say he doesn't have warts. The BB rate is one red flag; his age level is another. A 22-year-old with the talent he owns should lay waste to low A. He should be pushed to High A for the rest of the season, IMO, then begun at AA next year. Assuming, of course, he shows his last two seasons are legitimate. That he's not been pushed suggests, to me, that he's likely being shined up for a trade.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 07-27-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    his age level is another. A 22-year-old with the talent he owns should lay waste to low A. He should be pushed to High A for the rest of the season, IMO, then begun at AA next year. Assuming, of course, he shows his last two seasons are legitimate. That he's not been pushed suggests, to me, that he's likely being shined up for a trade.
    Nah, I don't think it needs to be that aggressive. As long as he's reached AAA by around 24, he should be fine. He could do A+ to start next year and maybe finish at AA.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-27-2017),fondfoat (12-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Nah, I don't think it needs to be that aggressive. As long as he's reached AAA by around 24, he should be fine. He could do A+ to start next year and maybe finish at AA.
    I agree with this. Might note Siri has had an adjustment period just about every level - in fact he got demoted last year after a horrid start at Dayton. Shed Long is going through that right now too and just now starting to find his groove. I wouldn't be too aggressive with Siri - give him time at each level to adjust. That suggests at least half a season at A+ before AA
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

12. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-27-2017)

Thought I'd add this insightful post from redsof72 (from the top 100 thread) to this thread. It has some really interesting info about Siri

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    The one thing holding Siri back, and the low walks are more of a symptom than a cause, is the inability to recognize the slider. The result is a lot of swings at pitches that are out of the zone. He is not swinging at those pitches because he is undisciplined, he is swinging because he thinks they are going to be strikes. He is not recognizing the spin out of the hand of the pitcher. It is a common problem for many young hitters. That is one of the things that makes Senzel special.

Now, Siri has made huge strides in this area, but he will still look awful at times. Will better pitchers expose this or will he continue to adjust and improve? He has the highest upside of any player in the system, yet it is possible that he never sees a day in the big leagues. Right now, he looks like a future star.

Ignore the tools ratings on Siri at MLB Pipeline. They are a joke. He is a 70 runner, 70 defense. Best defensive outfielder in the league, very strong arm. Pure center fielder. Could also play right with no problem.

14. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (07-27-2017),REDREAD (08-04-2017),RiverRat13 (07-27-2017)

TOP 10 POWER-SPEED PROSPECTS

10. Jose Siri, OF
    Reds • low Class A Dayton
    HR: 18. SB: 29. Age: 22.

Siri has a chance to lead the Midwest League in home runs and stolen bases this season, and he would get more play here if he weren’t 22 years old and a fifth-year pro. The righthanded-batting Dominican showcases blazing speed and a quick bat, but he must prove his wild hitting approach will work at higher levels.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Two Reds in the top 10, fwiw.

I like what Siri is doing, but the fact he is 22, doesn't walk much, and has been pro for 5 years at A-....meh.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I like what Siri is doing, but the fact he is 22, doesn't walk much, and has been pro for 5 years at A-....meh.
    The whole "been a pro for X years" thing doesn't do much for me. Also, let's be sure that we note on the age that he turned 22 last week and is in his age 21 season.

The walks are a concern - but, he's taken big strides forward this year in pitch recognition. Still work to do there, without question - but it's literally night-and-day difference from a year ago today.

19. Likes:

fondfoat (12-30-2018),OnBaseMachine (07-28-2017),Tom Servo (07-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The whole "been a pro for X years" thing doesn't do much for me. Also, let's be sure that we note on the age that he turned 22 last week and is in his age 21 season.

The walks are a concern - but, he's taken big strides forward this year in pitch recognition. Still work to do there, without question - but it's literally night-and-day difference from a year ago today.
    Yep, I understand, I am moreso just saying I'm not going to get my hopes up with him. Hope he succeeds, for sure.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yep, I understand, I am moreso just saying I'm not going to get my hopes up with him. Hope he succeeds, for sure.
    Understood. I definitely try to preach caution with him because of those issues, but man, you can just see that superstar kind of stuff from him, too. And this year, you are seeing it a lot more often.

I root for and get excited about players in the low levels but I don;t pin any real hopes on a guy until they succeed at Pensacola. Seen too many guys hit a snag on one of levels - look great one league then new level and yikes! They go all Mendoza

23. Likes:

BillDoran (07-28-2017)

Turn Off Ads?