Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: A Jose Siri Thread

Re: Siri For Real?

For all we know, he's gotten hits off of five different future Cy Young winners during the streak.
    [Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates

Were all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? The Doctor (Matt Smith)

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't care if it is Pee Wee league, that is impressive.

To prevent people from having to research what the streak mentioned on this thread is. (Like I did )

Siri had an infield single in his final at-bat Wednesday, extending his hitting streak at Low-A Dayton to 38 games.

Siri entered the season with very little buzz - in fact, the most attention that he received was for getting into a fight on a slide play earlier this season. But in addition to his hitting streak, he has exhibited more power, putting together an overall .296/.339/.531 slash line. He has also stole 29 bases in 40 attempts.
    Last edited by goreds2; 08-03-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Listened to the 2005 Div. Clincher on WLW - Watched the 2012 Div. Clincher on FOX.
    Watched the 2013 Playoff Clincher on FSO - Fiance' is a UK fan
    GO STEELERS - Go Buckeyes - Go SIXERS

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I really liked Gary Redus with the Reds, but damn do his Minor League stats look fantastic. 24 HRs + 54 SBs in AAA? Yes, please.
    Ahhh Gary Redus. I lived in North Jersey and was surrounded by Mets fans remember arguing Gary Redus would be just as good as Darryl Strawberry. True story

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Ahhh Gary Redus. I lived in North Jersey and was surrounded by Mets fans remember arguing Gary Redus would be just as good as Darryl Strawberry. True story
    Try having high hopes for Harry Spilman and Paul Householder.
    I walk into the clubhouse today and its like walking into the Mayo Clinic. We have four doctors, three therapists and five trainers. Back when I broke in, we had one trainer who carried a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and by the 7th inning hed already drunk it. Tommy Lasorda

6. Likes:

krm1580 (08-03-2017)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Try having high hopes for Harry Spilman and Paul Householder.
    My boyhood man-crush, so to speak, was Duane Walker. Ugh!

The Reds teams of '82-'84 were much worse than the teams of the mid-late aughts.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    My boyhood man-crush, so to speak, was Duane Walker. Ugh!

The Reds teams of '82-'84 were much worse than the teams of the mid-late aughts.
    Not to be confused with De-wayne Walker of CNN Headline Sports.
    [Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates

Were all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? The Doctor (Matt Smith)

9. Likes:

RiverRat13 (08-03-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: A Jose Siri Thread

Came down to the wire once again tonight. 8th inning, he came up with the bases loaded, and it's probably a good thing too, because if he hadn't, I wouldn't have been surprised if he took one in the back. Cody Thomas of Great Lakes had 3 homers in his first 3 at-bats and in his 4th at-bat the Dragons pitcher nailed him on the first pitch. The Loons were not happy at all by it. Understandably. In the end, Siri came through once again, narrowly missing a home run, doubling off of the wall to drive in 3 runs.

39-game hitting streak.

11. Likes:

AlaskaReds (08-04-2017),BillDoran (08-04-2017),cincyinco (08-04-2017),Edd Roush (08-04-2017),fondfoat (12-30-2018),mace (08-04-2017),marcshoe (08-04-2017),OnBaseMachine (08-04-2017),paulrichjr (08-04-2017),Redsfaithful (08-04-2017),StRedlegs900 (08-04-2017),Tom Servo (08-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    And when pitchers put up good numbers do you say "It's against inferior hitters?" What I mean is the experience level and ages are mostly equivalent. Siri, for instance is age appropriate for the league, facing pitchers that are either higher ranked from the draft (ie - more raw talent) or have spent 2-3-4 years in the rookie leagues gaining more experience and polish. Few draftees go right to A ball, and those that do are usually high draft picks from college. Look at the tools and then the possible problems. Siri has all the athletic tools to be a star. Maybe more than any prospect in the system. Problem - he still has to learn to recognize breaking stuff and lay off it when it is going to break out of the zone. That's a big problem. Some guys never overcome it. He does have an evolving record of upward progress - cutting strikeouts (which rate he's reduced quite a bit) and drawing more walks (very marginal improvement). I agree with you though, there is a real climb ahead. High A for the Reds farm is the Florida State League - very hard on hitters with incrementally better pitchers. Then the big jump to to AA, another fairly tough league on hitters, against pitchers that are very near ready for the majors. So, is he for real? Yes. But he's far from finished and that's the rub. He has a significant problem to overcome as far as skill, and the toughest 2 leagues for hitters in the system still ahead. Look at Aquino when he reached AA after exciting us all last season. Hey at least he hasn't flat lined like Narciso Crook....I'm excited, I'm dubious, I'm hopeful, I'm jaded....
    Good stuff here. The walks thing is being drastically overrated by people right now. He is seeing the ball like its a large balloon right now. Why would he be going up trying to draw walks? He is hitting about .460 on balls in play during the 39 games. Many of those hits are extra base hits. The strikeouts are a more legitimate concern. Almost all of his strikeouts are swings and misses at pitches out of the zone. He does not recognize that they are not strikes until it is too late.

Siri is a very, very emotional player. He feeds off his positive energy. He gets very down when things don't go well. Anyone who has seen him play can see this. Hopefully, when he goes to Daytona, which I think will be next year, and he goes through that inevitable adjustment period, he won't get so down when he struggles that he buries himself like he did in Dayton in 2016.

Let's make no mistake about, Siri has the best tools of any Reds prospect in years, many years.

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-04-2017),OGB (08-15-2017),OnBaseMachine (08-04-2017),RedlegJake (08-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Came down to the wire once again tonight. 8th inning, he came up with the bases loaded, and it's probably a good thing too, because if he hadn't, I wouldn't have been surprised if he took one in the back. Cody Thomas of Great Lakes had 3 homers in his first 3 at-bats and in his 4th at-bat the Dragons pitcher nailed him on the first pitch. The Loons were not happy at all by it. Understandably. In the end, Siri came through once again, narrowly missing a home run, doubling off of the wall to drive in 3 runs.

39-game hitting streak.
    I was thinking the same thing, but you have to be pretty low to hit a guy in that situation to end a hitting streak. Notice right after Siri batted, it looked like they threw at Collymore on the next pitch.

I don't know why they hit Thomas, but Jesse Adams is not the type of guy to hit someone just because he hit home runs. There must have been something more, something said maybe.

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-04-2017)

Ryan Moseley definitely tried to hit him but in fairness Siri did have 3 pitches to swing at. With the count at 2-2 the last 2 balls though seemed purposeful and meant to walk him at that point though.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/dayto...70/t-185364810
    Last edited by DocRed; 08-05-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Ryan Moseley definitely tried to hit him but in fairness Siri did have 3 pitches to swing at. With the count at 2-2 the last 2 balls though seemed purposeful and meant to walk him at that point though.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/dayto...70/t-185364810
    There were pitches that he could have done something with, but only because the pitcher missed by 2 feet from the other batters box where the catcher called for the ball at.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    There were pitches that he could have done something with, but only because the pitcher missed by 2 feet from the other batters box where the catcher called for the ball at.
    Kind of like when Gene Garber stopped Pete's 44 game hit streak. Pete stuck out though.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Listened to the 2005 Div. Clincher on WLW - Watched the 2012 Div. Clincher on FOX.
    Watched the 2013 Playoff Clincher on FSO - Fiance' is a UK fan
    GO STEELERS - Go Buckeyes - Go SIXERS

That wasn't too bad. Garber gave him a fair shot, I think.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric...cts-chat-5-17/

Mountie Votto: Jose Siri has picked up where he left off in terms of hitting, but has struck out 9 times in 6 games with no walks. Everyone is so hyped on him, but I’m still so so worried his plate discipline issues will doom him. Are the tools really THAT loud that they could make up for his atrocious hacking?

Eric A Longenhagen: I think so, but the approach probably dilutes his value. I think he’s more talented than Nick Williams, who got there with similar issues and now can’t quite break through. I think Siri’s got more playable power than Williams and he’s a much better defender.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

21. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (05-19-2018),Spanky (05-18-2018)

For all the talk about moving this guy or that guy to CF, I'm wondering if Siri won't be ready to step into that role in relatively short order, like before the All-Star Break next season. The plate discipline will be a problem, but he can field the position very well, can steal bases, and has pop, with a still improving hit tool to boot. Of course I'm riding a bit high off his 3 straight games with a HR, but there's a reason why he started making the back ends of Top 100 lists and was described as "one of the most exciting prospects" around. He does not lack talent.

I basically see Carlos Gomez, who struggled to maintain a .300 OBP his first several seasons but still provided value with his glove and legs, and the bat eventually came around to his true talent level and made him an explosive offensive player.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

23. Likes:

Mitri (06-26-2018)

Turn Off Ads?