Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: A Jose Siri Thread

Re: A Jose Siri Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    For all the talk about moving this guy or that guy to CF, I'm wondering if Siri won't be ready to step into that role in relatively short order, like before the All-Star Break next season. The plate discipline will be a problem, but he can field the position very well, can steal bases, and has pop, with a still improving hit tool to boot. Of course I'm riding a bit high off his 3 straight games with a HR, but there's a reason why he started making the back ends of Top 100 lists and was described as "one of the most exciting prospects" around. He does not lack talent.

I basically see Carlos Gomez, who struggled to maintain a .300 OBP his first several seasons but still provided value with his glove and legs, and the bat eventually came around to his true talent level and made him an explosive offensive player.
    Sounds like Reggie Sanders who had a nice career and was moved from AA straight to the majors

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    For all the talk about moving this guy or that guy to CF, I'm wondering if Siri won't be ready to step into that role in relatively short order, like before the All-Star Break next season. The plate discipline will be a problem, but he can field the position very well, can steal bases, and has pop, with a still improving hit tool to boot. Of course I'm riding a bit high off his 3 straight games with a HR, but there's a reason why he started making the back ends of Top 100 lists and was described as "one of the most exciting prospects" around. He does not lack talent.

I basically see Carlos Gomez, who struggled to maintain a .300 OBP his first several seasons but still provided value with his glove and legs, and the bat eventually came around to his true talent level and made him an explosive offensive player.
    I have always seen Gomez, and actually somewhat expect a similar career from Siri. 2 or 3 great years, surrounded by years of merely hanging around and dreaming of what one day may be or about how what once was may one day be again...

Quote Originally Posted by americanoutlaw1 View Post
    I have always seen Gomez, and actually somewhat expect a similar career from Siri. 2 or 3 great years, surrounded by years of merely hanging around and dreaming of what one day may be or about how what once was may one day be again...
    Reds would have to be happy with that outcome. Let's just hope he can be decent before his age 26 season like Gomez because he was very bad up until that point.

Quote Originally Posted by ochoa30 View Post
    Reds would have to be happy with that outcome. Let's just hope he can be decent before his age 26 season like Gomez because he was very bad up until that point.
    Gomez was still a productive player before 26, just not so much with his bat.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by ochoa30 View Post
    I'd be thrilled with that outcome. For some reason I have some degree of faith in it actually happening. I didn't have this same kind of belief with other toolsy, high K, contact challenged hitters coming through the system in the past decade... Yorman, Duran, Arias, Aquino, Franklin, Waldrop, Rosa, Sparks, Neftali, to a lesser degree Francisco and Stubbs... LaMarre, if you can consider him part of that group

Siri came on strong in the Dominican winter league, including in the playoffs down there. That's good baseball, especially by the time playoffs roll around and the more experienced and talented guys are on the field. This is what gave the Reds confidence that Siri could skip high A. I agree he could move quickly. For me, if he handles AA well, he becomes the heir apparent in CF. As Servo points out, the defense will be plus, even if he struggles at the plate. Not the case with Trammel, who for me is a LF. I would hope the Reds keep Siri out of trade talks for the time being. His ceiling as a CF is just too high to walk away from right now, IMO.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

9. Likes:

Benihana (06-26-2018),HokieRed (06-27-2018),Redeyecat (06-26-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I'd be thrilled with that outcome. For some reason I have some degree of faith in it actually happening. I didn't have this same kind of belief with other toolsy, high K, contact challenged hitters coming through the system in the past decade... Yorman, Duran, Arias, Aquino, Franklin, Waldrop, Rosa, Sparks, Neftali, to a lesser degree Francisco and Stubbs... LaMarre, if you can consider him part of that group
    Several of those guys weren't toolsy. Some of them had power, but that doesn't make one "toolsy".

11. Likes:

HokieRed (06-27-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Several of those guys weren't toolsy. Some of them had power, but that doesn't make one "toolsy".
    Tooly?

You were sure high on almost roughly every single one of them, and for half of them it sure wasn't due to their in-game pefrormance. Do we really need to have a semantic argument on what "toolsy" means?

Do we really need to have a semantic argument on what "toolsy" means?
    We probably should.

15. Likes:

Griffey012 (06-27-2018)

We probably should.
    Alright then, I seek to be enlightened oh prophet of the prospects. How many tools must one possess before they can be considered toolsy? Is Billy Hamilton a super athlete? No, because he's not Josh Hamilton. But I bet Hambone can't run and jump like Billy even though he can clean and jerk more... I mean, where does it start and stop and what outweighs what??? There is give and take on everything because there is only one Mike Trout. These are subjective terms, they can mean whatever one wants until now... So be our guide. What does it mean to be toolsy? Shed light on the definitive handbook of tool worshippers which probably has you brandishing a Yorman Rodriguez bobblehead swearing that dagnabbit guys, he has swell tools and by golly, one day he's going to hit!!!

Alright then, I seek to be enlightened oh prophet of the prospects. How many tools must one possess before they can be considered toolsy? Is Billy Hamilton a super athlete? No, because he's not Josh Hamilton. But I bet Hambone can't run and jump like Billy even though he can clean and jerk more... I mean, where does it start and stop and what outweighs what??? There is give and take on everything because there is only one Mike Trout. These are subjective terms, they can mean whatever one wants until now... So be our guide. What does it mean to be toolsy? Shed light on the definitive handbook of tool worshippers which probably has you brandishing a Yorman Rodriguez bobblehead swearing that dagnabbit guys, he has swell tools and by golly, one day he's going to hit!!!
    I'd say to be considered toolsy you definitely need more than three average or better tools. Billy Hamilton is a 3-tool guy: Run, defense, arm. Josh Hamilton was a 5-tool guy.

Cool "Gotcha!", though. That will totally teach me my lesson.

Well when you always come off as an elitist snob it's going to happen.

So Just Francisco and his two 80 grade tools equals out to being less toolsy than someone who has three 50 grade tools? Even though mathematics says 160>150?

Well when you always come off as an elitist snob it's going to happen.

So Just Francisco and his two 80 grade tools equals out to being less toolsy than someone who has three 50 grade tools? Even though mathematics says 160>150?
    You know, I actually typed out a response to this. Then decided that nah. I'll just go ahead an keep my elitist snob thoughts to myself on how scouting reports work.

I think Doug is nice.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

21. Likes:

bubbachunk (06-27-2018),Flair4Horsemen (06-27-2018),fondfoat (12-30-2018),RedlegJake (06-28-2018)

Turn Off Ads?