Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Schebler Under Pressure

Re: Schebler Under Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Given all the rebuilding, I'm pleasantly surprised with the position player base of this team. Needs upgrading, tweaking, over time, but there's no reason for angst over offense or position defense. With Senzel and Winker, wherever they fit, further development is on the doorstep.

We all know Hamilton's strengths and weaknesses. He's not a good hitter, so they will have to look in the future for a more perfect solution. But this isn't Cooperstown, he certainly adds to the team, he's not today's problem.

The pitching staff does not have a solid base right now. Except for Castillo and Iglesias, every in-house pitcher is a question mark. It's by far the priority.

So the Reds will probably not address CF right now, nor most of the position spots. If Cozart leaves, they have to deal with the infield configuration for next year. Otherwise, we'lll have to live with most of these flawed position players for awhile, as the team addresses its primary concern.
    I agree with this, but I think the pitching side may require something form the position side packaged to address it which may force some change there as well. Winker still seesm like the most likely guy to be dealt to bring in an arm. His youth, potential and years of control probably meakes him the most attractive target for a team with a pitcher to sell. That may force another deal for a legit 4th OF which may require somebody like Lorenzen or some one to go.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I agree with this, but I think the pitching side may require something form the position side packaged to address it which may force some change there as well. Winker still seesm like the most likely guy to be dealt to bring in an arm. His youth, potential and years of control probably meakes him the most attractive target for a team with a pitcher to sell. That may force another deal for a legit 4th OF which may require somebody like Lorenzen or some one to go.
    I've stopped guessing who they will trade, who they will keep.

I agree that the position side might change to accomodate trades, and then they may have to re-fill any position gaps caused by those trades.

But I doubt the Reds have the assets to affirmatively try to upgrade position spots this off-season. Assets should be devoted to pitching; on the position side, fill gaps cheaply.

The first order of business is to get the pitching into a normal range, they can't function as a team with 5-6 ERA pitching.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-10-2017 at 11:23 AM.

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-10-2017)

Any comments on how Schebler looked playing CF last night?

Quote Originally Posted by RedStateRed View Post
    I thought he looked like a relatively athletic corner outfielder playing CF. Passable, but below average if forced to play there full time. (Very similar to Shin-Soo Choo in 2013.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Back from the dead..maybe Homer's Ghost's Avatar

That OF defense was baaaaaad. The cardinals were taking extra bases left and right. I think you might be able to get away with Schebler in CF if you had a better defensive RFer, but the combination of Schebler in CF and Winker in RF is no bueno.

With that being said, I'd continue to run them both out there in those spots for the rest of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

8. Likes:

Big Klu (09-13-2017),M2 (09-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    That OF defense was baaaaaad. The cardinals were taking extra bases left and right. I think you might be able to get away with Schebler in CF if you had a better defensive RFer, but the combination of Schebler in CF and Winker in RF is no bueno.

With that being said, I'd continue to run them both out there in those spots for the rest of the year.
    I agree. Winker is the weak link defensively in RF. But like you say, I would continue to play both of them, though I would spot Kivlehan and Ervin (and even Peraza in CF) occasionally in the OF, depending on the matchups.

10. Likes:

Homer's Ghost (09-13-2017)

Looks like any thoughts of Schebler sharing CF with Hamilton in order to get Winker more playing time may not be a good idea. This sounds like only something you only do a handful of times per year. I'm assuming Ervin is better in CF than Schebler?

Looks like any thoughts of Schebler sharing CF with Hamilton in order to get Winker more playing time may not be a good idea. This sounds like only something you only do a handful of times per year. I'm assuming Ervin is better in CF than Schebler?
    Different, but not sure about better. Probably even more athletic than Schebler. I think Schebler is clearly the better defensive RF, so if they are a push in CF it would make sense to leave Scott in RF and play Phil in CF.

Back from the dead..maybe Homer's Ghost's Avatar

From what I saw last night (it was one game), as Klu kind of said, I think Winker is RF is as big of an issue, if not more so than Schebler in CF. You can probably get away with Billy playing next to Winker and Schebler playing in CF with a better defensive RFer, but the combination of the two isn't going to work when the Reds are actually trying to win in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

14. Likes:

Big Klu (09-13-2017)

From what I saw last night (it was one game), as Klu kind of said, I think Winker is RF is as big of an issue, if not more so than Schebler in CF. You can probably get away with Billy playing next to Winker and Schebler playing in CF with a better defensive RFer, but the combination of the two isn't going to work when the Reds are actually trying to win in the future.
    If you had a pitching staff that gave up a lot of ground balls, Schebler could work in CF. But that isn't this pitching staff. Not that Schebler looked fantastic out there but Billy's going to make most people look poor by comparison. So the Reds either have to live with Billy in CF and his bat and hope the latter comes around or they have to trade for a CF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Schebler between Duvall and Winker is a bad idea, and we got an object lesson in why with a FB pitcher like Robert Stephenson on the mound. It's easy to forget just how many cracks Billy Hamilton papers over when he's out there. I don't really care what the Reds do in terms of lineups and position assignments from here to the end of this season, but Duvall/Schebler/Winker is a three LF plan. Billy Hamilton allows the team to get away with playing two. There are consequences to putting an awful defense on the field. If the Reds try it in 2018 as a regular plan it does no bode well for the development of young pitchers on the team. They'd have to get a lot of extra outs.
    Wait until the year after next year.

17. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-13-2017),Chip R (09-13-2017),mth123 (09-13-2017),TRF (09-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Schebler between Duvall and Winker is a bad idea, and we got an object lesson in why with a FB pitcher like Robert Stephenson on the mound. It's easy to forget just how many cracks Billy Hamilton papers over when he's out there. I don't really care what the Reds do in terms of lineups and position assignments from here to the end of this season, but Duvall/Schebler/Winker is a three LF plan. Billy Hamilton allows the team to get away with playing two. There are consequences to putting an awful defense on the field. If the Reds try it in 2018 as a regular plan it does no bode well for the development of young pitchers on the team. They'd have to get a lot of extra outs.
    Yup, no need to burn a roster spot for a glove-only backup CF (with Sheb's ability to fill in there), but no way can he be starting in CF.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine Suarez, Scooter, and Shebler up the middle...yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Imagine Suarez, Scooter, and Shebler up the middle...yikes!
    Beer League Machine!
    Wait until the year after next year.

Turn Off Ads?