Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2017

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: College Football 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The college football thread is sad this year. I skimmed through last year's the other day, and by this time last year we were through 273 posts. We made it through 1000 posts by mid-December. Lots of ground to make up!
    For me it doesn't even feel like the season's started yet. FSU lost to Alabama, which was no surprise although the manner was not what I expected, but losing Francois made it feel like we were punching the season reset button one game in. Then, thanks to Irma, we're going three weeks without a game. Oh well, hope the extra practice time is doing Francois' replacement some good.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Illinois should drop football.

4. Likes:

BillDoran (09-16-2017)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Illinois should drop football.
    It's far from the worst job (not program - that's an entirely different argument) in the B1G.

Time will tell if Lovie Smith -- a What do we have to lose? type of hire -- will turn it around, but it's easy to see why the program has basically been in shambles for thirty years:

Mike White was the last Illini football HC that could simultaneously coach and recruit.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

OK, for tonight, I cannot fathom how USF is a 17 point favorite over Illinois.

Now watch USF win 48-0.
    Over on our weekly college game pick'em thread there were only three people who took USF to cover the spread. And none of those three are currently involved in this discussion!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Illinois looked young and raw but has talent. I think they can be something.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree with Jeff George Jr. And seeing Ra'Von Bonner was good. He tore up my Mason Comets the last couple years at Sycamore.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Nebraska doesn't scare me anymore. They are morphing into what Iowa is, a good team at times, but there is a talent discrepancy between them and the big boys.
    Nebraska (anymore) reminds me of another "big name" program (Texas) that somehow just can't get their **** together. LOL

So far, as I look around at college football, and all the various conferences, I'm really not sure what programs are going to stand out, be strong contenders to make the play-offs. I guess I'm saying I'm not overwhelmed, as of yet (still early though).

SEC ....Alabama (obviously) is one, as well as Auburn and LSU
    PAC-12 .... I think USC and Washington are the top of the class there. We'll see on Oregon.
    ACC .... Clemson and Louisville. I'm just not that impressed with the rest of the conference, though Va Tech may be a sleeper
    B12 .... Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, and I'll throw in Kansas Sate. The rest? Blah!
    B1G ..... Hell I don't know! (LOL). OSU will recover from last week, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them end up with another loss, and that could be PSU at home if they don't get things worked out. I read that so far Urban is not happy at all with the performance/play calling of this Wilson-led offense. They don't play Wisconsin. And then there's the Michigan game. Michigan, as usual, will have a stout defense; but have uncertainty offensively and at the QB position with Speight. With rest of the B1G, so far, I'm not impressed.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-16-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Nebraska is a big fat mess.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Nebraska is a dead program, considering their location and the fact that no recruit was even alive the last time there were any good makes it pretty hard to see them ever being on top again.
    Go Gators!

At least Kansas is still Kansas. That's somehow reassuring.

UCLA and Memphis in a good one. Memphis leads 27-24 at the half.

Oklahoma State is just pummeling Pitt. They lead 49-14 at the half.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Nebraska is a dead program, considering their location and the fact that no recruit was even alive the last time there were any good makes it pretty hard to see them ever being on top again.
    Meh, I remember hearing that about Alabama before Saban. All it takes is a great coach.

- - - Updated - - -

Meh, I remember hearing that about Alabama before Saban. All it takes is a great coach.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Anyway yeah, I don't think Nebraska is any lost cause. Bill Callahan wasn't very good, Bo Pelini was pretty good but done in by self-inflicted off-field drama, and Riley isn't very good.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

SMU jumps out to an early 16-7 lead after a quarter against #20 TCU. I'm keeping an eye on that one, I think Chad Morris has SMU on the upswing.

Turn Off Ads?