Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire OF Randy Ventura from Braves for international bonus pool space

Reds acquire OF Randy Ventura from Braves for international bonus pool space

Cincinnati Reds‏
    @Reds 15s16 seconds ago

Today the #Reds acquired from the Braves minor league OF Randy Ventura in exchange for international bonus pool space.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=ventur000ran

The 19-year-old jumped to an impressive start at low Class A Rome this season by hitting .359/.419/.397 in 22 April games. His combination of speed, feel for the game and ability to put the ball in play has caught the eye of the South Atlantic League.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...zAES9uqT2Q7.99
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

Donder (08-04-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds acquire OF Randy Ventura from Braves for international bonus pool space

I'm not totally sure I prefer selling the cap space for prospects.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Re: Reds acquire OF Randy Ventura from Braves for international bonus pool space

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'm not totally sure I prefer selling the cap space for prospects.
    I think it's a smart move, personally. Let someone else assume the risk for the first ___ weeks/months/year in a system and then, effectively, purchase that player. While it by no means guarantees MLB caliber players in return, it can (slightly) narrow the field of worthwhile prospects to choose from. Just my .02

6. Likes:

WrongVerb (08-04-2017)

I think since we are very limited in what we can do with international cap space for the next 2 years, this is a good idea.
    I forget.. but aren't we limited to only spending 300k per player or something like that?

So we have gotten two prospects for free by giving away cap space that we probably couldn't use anyhow.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

8. Likes:

Griffey012 (08-07-2017),WrongVerb (08-04-2017)

Except your swapping with a team that essentially is saying the opposite. They are saying "We looked at this guy for x number of years, and you know what? We'd rather have some cash to go look at other guys"
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Except your swapping with a team that essentially is saying the opposite. They are saying "We looked at this guy for x number of years, and you know what? We'd rather have some cash to go look at other guys"
    In fairness, all trades work this way. Each team is giving away one commodity for another it finds more valuable. And if the Braves make enough of these deals, they can have enough cash to go for a big time player. It works for both teams in the end.

11. Likes:

mattfeet (08-07-2017),OGB (08-04-2017)

Well, that is true. But obviously, the cap space is much more useful to the Braves, because they have fewer restrictions on how to spend it than the Reds do.
    The Braves still have to spend that cash out of their pocket though.. The Reds only gave up "permission" to spend money that the Reds were severely restricted in spending.. so it is a win-win.

This hard cap on international spending is going to create a new dynamic when bidding on players. Teams that trade for cap space so they can spend an additional 75% are going to be at a pretty big advantage to signing the next hyped up foreign star (assuming the kid goes to the highest bidder).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Reports on Ventura remind me a bit of an outfield version of fellow former Brave farmhand Peraza, a guy with plus speed (29 steals this year) and contact ability but not much power. He's struggled some after a torrid April but has maintained his .290+ batting average. He turned 20 just a few weeks ago.

Though he doesn’t have the endless physical projection possessed by many of the other Latin American teenagers in this system, Ventura arguably has the best feel to hit of any of them. He has plus bat speed and excellent bat control from the left side. That swing is so pretty, I have no idea why he bothers switch-hitting. He did struggle against average offspeed stuff when I saw him during instructional league. He’s an above-average runner and has pro experience in center field, but his body has matured quickly and he’s probably going to be quite thick at peak, so I have him projected in right field. At just 5-foot-9, his power projection is quite modest, but he might hit enough to justify everyday duty in a corner anyway and, of course, he’s quite a distance from the majors. He suffered a scapula fracture in a car accident in the Dominican late in 2015 but has shown no ill effects.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-3...tlanta-braves/
    Longenhagen has a point about the switch hitting, he's been much better against righties than lefties.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-04-2017),REDREAD (08-04-2017)

He's a lot more intriguing if he can stick in CF.

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-04-2017),OGB (08-04-2017),REDREAD (08-04-2017),Tom Servo (08-04-2017)

The Reds are in the penalty box of Int'l spending. Are the Braves? I don't know, but if not that's a big difference. Braves may be mounting cap space for big acquisitions, Reds are too limited.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (08-04-2017)

So he's the bastard lovechild of Randy Savage and Jesse Ventura, right?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

cincyinco (08-05-2017),kaldaniels (08-04-2017),NC Reds (08-05-2017),Old school 1983 (08-04-2017),REDREAD (08-04-2017),RedsRocker (08-05-2017),TheBigLebowski (08-09-2017),Tom Servo (08-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    So he's the bastard lovechild of Randy Savage and Jesse Ventura, right?
    That's exactly where my brain went.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The Braves are also in the penalty - so this is rather interesting for them to be acquiring space.

I think its as simple as the Reds wanting to acquire maximum talent NOW, really load up the farm system so when they are close they can trade prospects from a surplus after cherry picking the best.

Plus, they can promote him to Daytona and his .668 OPS immediately becomes the 2nd best on the team....
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 08-04-2017 at 06:22 PM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I think its as simple as the Reds wanting to acquire maximum talent NOW, really load up the farm system so when they are close they can trade prospects from a surplus after cherry picking the best.

Plus, they can promote him to Daytona and his .668 OPS immediately becomes the 2nd best on the team....
    So basically doing what the Braves are doing.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Turn Off Ads?