Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturday, August 12, Discussion Points, Review, Scores & Highlights

Back from the dead..maybe Homer's Ghost's Avatar

Re: Saturday, August 12, Discussion Points, Review, Scores & Highlights

The more you watch Senzel, the more I think you can make an argument he should come up if/when's cozart is traded
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Likes:

mth123 (08-12-2017),Tuff Nut (08-13-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    The more you watch Senzel, the more I think you can make an argument he should come up if/when's cozart is traded
    I honestly think he's ready to contribute but it makes sense to wait, both for the right spot and because letting him marinate and get AAA time could help when it comes to the adjustment period to the majors.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I honestly think he's ready to contribute but it makes sense to wait, both for the right spot and because letting him marinate and get AAA time could help when it comes to the adjustment period to the majors.
    I'm not sure he's ever going to spend much time in AAA. If he's not coming to the majors, it makes sense to just leave him in AA so he plays in "meaningful" games in September. And I doubt he's going to spend very much time in the minors next year.

I can absolutely see the argument of leaving him in the minors because of service time, though.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Winning is fun.

Am I right that Senzel will need to stay down next year for two weeks to avoid Super 2 and two months to get the extra year of team control?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Am I right that Senzel will need to stay down next year for two weeks to avoid Super 2 and two months to get the extra year of team control?
    You have that reversed. 2 weeks for the extra year of control, 2 monthsish to avoid super 2

8. Likes:

RiverRat13 (08-12-2017)

Siri with his 9th triple of the year, but the Dragons trail big, 9-4.

Miles Gordon with a hit in the 1st in Billings.

Senzel with another single, followed by a VanMeter HR. Aquino homers too.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 08-12-2017 at 09:29 PM.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

11. Likes:

AlaskaReds (08-12-2017)

Tanner Rainey struck out the side in his one inning of work in Pensacola's loss, he's struck out 10 batters in his last 5 (scoreless) innings of work. Jimmy Herget also threw another scoreless inning for Louisville.

Billings is get beatdown good, 15-6 and counting. It's up to the AZL Reds, down 1-0 after 6, to avoid the Reds system losing every game today (still no word on the DSL Rojos).

I'd definitely like him to get over a month at AAA to see how he does against craftier pitchers and ensure there are no huge holes in his swing.

14. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-13-2017)

Where does Miles Gordon ranks among your top Cincinnati prospects? Among Rookie League Billings participants? How do you analyze Rookie League prospects?

I can't really say at the moment, it's something I could assess after the season. Among Billings guys, I'd put him right about equal with Stuart Fairchild. I mostly look at walks for rookie league guys since it's so early and that's a very important skill to have.

Trammell is a stud. He's a 19-year-old who's 30% better than league average, as measured by wRc+. He ranks 7th among teenagers in low A in wRC+ and 3rd among OF. That said, he ranks third among Dayton OF in production for the season (behind Siri and Friedl). in your estimation, at what point does age trump production? Or is it experience?

I'm not sure I entirely understand the question. If it's asking that do Siri and Friedl's accomplishments overshadow or eclipse Trammell's, I disagree. I think Taylor is having a great yer at an entirely age appropriate level.

Luis Gonzalez is putting together an almost silent solid season A ball. He's old for the league and refuses to take a walk. Where, in your estimation, does the lowest BB rate typically turn an otherwise solid prospect into "just-a-guy"?

It's pretty damn important but it also depends on your other skills. I don't think there's a specific level where it's an issue, it's one that will always matter.

If Nick Senzel has a career akin to Jay Bruce, will he be an underachiever in your eyes?

Hard to say, but my gut is yes. I'd take several copies of Bruce's 2010 season or general 2010-2013 production, but if he has the same valleys as Bruce, I would consider that a disappointment.

Is Darnell Sweeney a legitimate option for next season as a utility guy, or are there too many people ahead of him/ without option?

Yes, I think he's young enough and plays enough positions to earn a legitimate look as a bench player.
    I think Sweeney is probably a decent upgrade over Alcantara

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    1. Gordon. Cold weather player who seems to have put it together and still only 19. Reds must have seen potential to draft him in the fourth round. Hopeful. Right now, C+

2. Trammell. Still improving at 19. Even if limited to LF, potential power/speed combination plays. B+

3. Gonzalez. Seems like a mirage to me. I think AA will confirm that. C-

4. Senzel. I don't understand Bruce comparison. Seems like a different kind of player. Senzel should show more speed, contact skill, and positional flexibility, but less power. A

5. Sweeney. I once wanted to get him from the Dodgers (along with Grant Holmes) when there were hope of trading BP. One time promise seems to have faded. Too many MI ahead of him. C
    I wanted Verdugo/Holmes/Sweeney for Chapman before the Great Garage Massacre.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-13-2017 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    I'm not sure he's ever going to spend much time in AAA. If he's not coming to the majors, it makes sense to just leave him in AA so he plays in "meaningful" games in September. And I doubt he's going to spend very much time in the minors next year.

I can absolutely see the argument of leaving him in the minors because of service time, though.
    Unless the Reds seriously bolster the rotation over the offseason and then show real signs of contending while he's waiting to avoid Super2 status, I'd definitely leave him down to preserve an extra year of control as well.

The Jay Bruce question is fascinating.

Yes I would be disappointed. Odds at this point probably lean towards him not being as good as Bruce. That's just how prospects go.

But I would not use that as an excuse to deem Senzel as a "success" if he turns out like Bruce. Sorry but I'm hoping for better.

Turn Off Ads?