Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday, August 12, Discussion Points, Review, Scores & Highlights

Saturday, August 12, Discussion Points, Review, Scores & Highlights

Last Night on the Farm:

Miles Gordon hit his 6th HR of the season in a 2 - 1 loss in Billings. Sceroler pitched pretty well-- 1 ER 6 K 1 BB 5 IP.

Jose Siri was 2 - 4 with 2 singles and his 35th SB, and Taylor Trammell had a hit and two walks in four trips to the plate. The Dragons lose, though, 5 - 2. Scott Moss pitched well too-- 5.2 IP, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K.

Daytona won, 12 - 8. TJ Friedl had two hits and is now 10 for his last 23. Perhaps the start of something there, as he's struggled a bit since the callup. Luis Gonzalez continues to hit well, going 4 - 5, but he's 23 and in High A. With that .292 BA, he has a .304 OBP-- that's... discouraging.

Senzel had a hit and a walk in Pensacola's loss. He's at .320/ .382/ .507/ .889 for the season and .341/ .398/ .553/ .951 in AA. That works out to a 176 wRC+ and leads all AA 3B by more than 23 (min. 100 AB). Rafael Devers is second, at 153. If you take what everyone has done over the entire season, he ranks 5th in all of minor league baseball in wRC+ at 3B and is nearly 60% better than league average. Joey Votto has the exact same wRC+ for his career that Senzel has this season. Elite.

Louisville lost again, as mentioned above. Darnell Sweeney had a good game. Again. Since Williams picked him up, Sweeney has gone .291/ .356/ .426/ .782. Decent pop, with 4 HR in 237 AB. He's played 2B, 3B, SS, LF, and lots of CF so far this season. Still only 26.

Discussion Points:

Where does Miles Gordon ranks among your top Cincinnati prospects? Among Rookie League Billings participants? How do you analyze Rookie League prospects?

Trammell is a stud. He's a 19-year-old who's 30% better than league average, as measured by wRc+. He ranks 7th among teenagers in low A in wRC+ and 3rd among OF. That said, he ranks third among Dayton OF in production for the season (behind Siri and Friedl). in your estimation, at what point does age trump production? Or is it experience?

Luis Gonzalez is putting together an almost silent solid season A ball. He's old for the league and refuses to take a walk. Where, in your estimation, does the lowest BB rate typically turn an otherwise solid prospect into "just-a-guy"?

If Nick Senzel has a career akin to Jay Bruce, will he be an underachiever in your eyes?

Is Darnell Sweeney a legitimate option for next season as a utility guy, or are there too many people ahead of him/ without option?

On the Docket

Amir Garrett tries to salvage a poor season, toeing the rubber for Louisville tonight against the Gwinnett Braves.

Jesus Reyes, he of the 1-2 record and fine 2.22 ERA in AA-- does the same for Pensacola.

The Hefty Lefty Ty Boyles-- he of the 6'3" 270 lb. frame-- tries to temporarily limit Daytona's second half tumble into obscurity. Boyles is a 21-year-old who's done adequately after being challenged this season, with an ERA just below 4.00, too many walks, and not enough strike outs.

Dayton sends Tony Santillan back to the hill. We haven't talked much about the Texas native in the last couple of months. He's more than holding his own in the Midwest League. He's 8th in the league (min. 70 IP) in K% and BAA.

Tyler Mondile goes for Billings, who've slipped below .500 despite having nearly half the team hitting over .300. Poor pitching is the culprit.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-12-2017),klw (08-12-2017),mace (08-12-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Saturday, August 12, Discussion Points, Review, Scores & Highlights

Where does Miles Gordon ranks among your top Cincinnati prospects? Among Rookie League Billings participants? How do you analyze Rookie League prospects?

I can't really say at the moment, it's something I could assess after the season. Among Billings guys, I'd put him right about equal with Stuart Fairchild. I mostly look at walks for rookie league guys since it's so early and that's a very important skill to have.

Trammell is a stud. He's a 19-year-old who's 30% better than league average, as measured by wRc+. He ranks 7th among teenagers in low A in wRC+ and 3rd among OF. That said, he ranks third among Dayton OF in production for the season (behind Siri and Friedl). in your estimation, at what point does age trump production? Or is it experience?

I'm not sure I entirely understand the question. If it's asking that do Siri and Friedl's accomplishments overshadow or eclipse Trammell's, I disagree. I think Taylor is having a great yer at an entirely age appropriate level.

Luis Gonzalez is putting together an almost silent solid season A ball. He's old for the league and refuses to take a walk. Where, in your estimation, does the lowest BB rate typically turn an otherwise solid prospect into "just-a-guy"?

It's pretty damn important but it also depends on your other skills. I don't think there's a specific level where it's an issue, it's one that will always matter.

If Nick Senzel has a career akin to Jay Bruce, will he be an underachiever in your eyes?

Hard to say, but my gut is yes. I'd take several copies of Bruce's 2010 season or general 2010-2013 production, but if he has the same valleys as Bruce, I would consider that a disappointment.

Is Darnell Sweeney a legitimate option for next season as a utility guy, or are there too many people ahead of him/ without option?

Yes, I think he's young enough and plays enough positions to earn a legitimate look as a bench player.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Tom Servo
    interesting read but what is that, who is that, and where is it from?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Tom Servo
    interesting read but what is that, who is that, and where is it from?
    Did you read the first post?

1. Gordon. Unless a guy is a highly regarded draftee, I take anything below full season with a grain of salt and anything below AA is still pretty suspicious. Not sure how to evaluate.

2. TRammell. I hope baseball in general buys in. If he's limited to LF only, I fear his value will drop. The Reds will need to deal somebody to fix the rotation, he's the prospect with the best combo of value and expendability and the one I'd deal.

3. Gonzalez. At one time, I was under the impression that he was a very good defensive SS. If so, he needs to play there. I wonder if he'll be the next Miguel Rojas type who becomes a useful player. If Rojas was still here, he'd be the favorite for the starting position when Cozart goes IMO. I'm guessing my impression was wrong simply because he isn't playing SS.

4. Senzel. I'd call him up now and stick Suarez at SS. The Reds have enough stuff to figure out over the winter with the pitching staff. Let's see if it might work defensively. I'll be happy if he's Jay Bruce. I still think Alex Gordon.

5. Don't know what to make of Sweeney. .365 BABIP makes me think he's a minor league mirage. What changed from his days in AAA in LA or Philly? His Batted ball numbers aren't much different than his numbers for AAA in Philly last year when he went .233/.299/.335/.644. His walk rate is barely up a tick and may be a random thing. The main change seems to be BABIP.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-12-2017 at 04:37 PM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Did you read the first post?
    I did and I missed the questions. I was too focused on the updates from last night. Got it now thanks

Leadoff double for Darnell Sweeney. Obviously his BAPIP won't remain skyhigh but it's not like this AAA performance is a career outlier, he hit .288/.387/.463 in AA and generally performed well his entire minor league career outside of last year and some early struggles this year.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

1. Gordon. Cold weather player who seems to have put it together and still only 19. Reds must have seen potential to draft him in the fourth round. Hopeful. Right now, C+

2. Trammell. Still improving at 19. Even if limited to LF, potential power/speed combination plays. B+

3. Gonzalez. Seems like a mirage to me. I think AA will confirm that. C-

4. Senzel. I don't understand Bruce comparison. Seems like a different kind of player. Senzel should show more speed, contact skill, and positional flexibility, but less power. A

5. Sweeney. I once wanted to get him from the Dodgers (along with Grant Holmes) when there were hope of trading BP. One time promise seems to have faded. Too many MI ahead of him. C

Farrell strikes out a pair in the first inning of his first Reds org start.

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-12-2017)

Assuming he can stick in CF if he needs to, I actually like Gordon a little bit better than Fairchild at this point. Of course we'll know a lot more next year when they both play in Dayton. Regardless, they're not in the Trammell/Siri category (obviously) but at this point I'd put both of them in that next tier alongside Aquino and Friedl as far as Reds OF prospects go.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Farrell strikes out a pair in the first inning of his first Reds org start.
    It was downhill after that, chased after 2.2 innings and 5 runs in.

Dayton gets two in the bottom of the first. Ventura, Sparks, and Yari with hits.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 08-12-2017 at 07:20 PM.

DSL Reds lost 3-0 but Cristian Olivo stayed hot going 2-3 with a walk.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-12-2017)

Tony Santillan touched up for 5 runs in the first inning for Dayton. Looking like Pensacola will be the only hope for decent performances tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Jeremy Martinez singles on a fly ball to center fielder T. Friedl Jr.
    Daytona Tortugas center fielder T. J. Friedl Jr. left the game due to an injured wrist.
    This isn't ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Looking like Pensacola will be the only hope for decent performances tonight.
    And Jesus Reyes gives up a run in the first inning there too.

But Nick Senzel singles in his first aB.

Turn Off Ads?