Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 College Basketball Thread

Re: 2017-2018 College Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The NCAA isn't going to do anything significant about this. Every time something "scandalous" has happened in the last decade we always hear whispers of the death penalty or severe punishment from the NCAA, but nothing ever comes of it.

Louisville sets up recruits with hookers, nothing really done about it. Pitino job safe and secure. UNC academic scandal? Who cares, let them win the national championship. Cam Newton shops his services to the highest bidder? Nah, he's the heisman front runner and the star player for the top ranked team. Nothing happens. I may be missing something here, but the only time I recall the NCAA coming down with much of a penalty was the post-season ban for Ohio State for tattoos and selling a ring.

I doubt this will be any different. There will be a lot of bluster in the media for a short period of time. But the process always takes longer than our willingness to care about something like this.
    Two things:

I don't think that game of college basketball will change like many of the analyst's are predicting. I think you will see more programs start to operate on the up and up. You will still have some coaches try wade into the cesspool, but it will take a while to get back to the point it was yesterday.

I do think the NCAA will come down hard on the programs that are implicated. It may be slow because of the initial fallout, see revenue from March Madness, however I believe that the penalties will be swift. One thing different in this case is the Feds are involved, the Feds can operate with search warrants, wire taps, sealed testimony, informants, etc. They can do things that the NCAA can only dream of. In the past the NCAA has always deferred to the schools to impose penalties and then the NCAA would act if those penalties weren't harsh enough. If the schools don't get out in front of this quickly, I have a feeling the NCAA will hammer programs. But then there is always UNC.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The NCAA isn't going to do anything significant about this. Every time something "scandalous" has happened in the last decade we always hear whispers of the death penalty or severe punishment from the NCAA, but nothing ever comes of it.

Louisville sets up recruits with hookers, nothing really done about it. Pitino job safe and secure. UNC academic scandal? Who cares, let them win the national championship. Cam Newton shops his services to the highest bidder? Nah, he's the heisman front runner and the star player for the top ranked team. Nothing happens. I may be missing something here, but the only time I recall the NCAA coming down with much of a penalty was the post-season ban for Ohio State for tattoos and selling a ring.

I doubt this will be any different. There will be a lot of bluster in the media for a short period of time. But the process always takes longer than our willingness to care about something like this.
    Three things:

1. Louisville lost a national championship from Hookergate. They also did self imposed punishment in which they took themselves out of postseason play. Losing the banner though is pretty severe considering how light Pitino got off (7 game season suspension).

2. Louisville acquired a recruit for $100,000 while on probation. That is why the death penalty is being floated around, not just by rival fans but most beat writers. Pat Forde has always been a pro-Pitino person in the media and even he is calling for it.

3. The FBI is a factor now. Before the NCAA could do a slap on the wrist, but what happened yesterday has shaken collegiate athletics to its core. I wouldn't be shocked to see the NCAA go heavy on Louisville just to set a precedent moving forward and get the government off their back. This is very serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'm hearing Pitino met with his staff this morning and that he and Jurich are going to be fired.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...?sf117098787=1
    Last edited by Chip R; 09-27-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Per multiple tweets Jurich met with the President of UL for all of 7 minutes. He left in a hurry with no comment. Most think he has been fired.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I think the interesting thing about this.......is how many players are going to be ruled ineligible?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I think the interesting thing about this.......is how many players are going to be ruled ineligible?
    Goooooood question. Was thinking the same thing myself.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Goooooood question. Was thinking the same thing myself.
    Yeah the FBI, I would assume, is turning over info to the NCAA.

Pitino had the same short meeting as Jurich with the UL President. Also the UL prez is having a 1 pm presser. This could be it for Jurich and Pitino.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Wait- why should Louisville get the death penalty?

Why should countless children be deprived the opportunity to play for their beloved Louisville Cardinals? HAHAHAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Yeah the FBI, I would assume, is turning over info to the NCAA.
    I don't think they are going to turn it over quickly. Perhaps after everything is over they will. It's not like the the NCAA is in a position to demand anything.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Even the people who gave SMU the death penalty said they had reservations about it afterwards.
    Yep. Even if we don't shed any tears over the fact that SMU has never returned to football prominence, the collateral damage to other schools was substantial. A big-time school just can't be taken off the board without a major impact on its conference, scheduling, TV contracts, etc. They used to take schools off of TV for probation, too, but stopped doing that because it was also punishing the opponents' fans who couldn't watch their team play.

For those reasons, I don't expect Louisville or any other school to get the death penalty no matter how deserved. Extreme sanctions and postseason bans that may or may not stick after a year or two (e.g. Penn State), probably.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Pitino gone: http://www.businessinsider.com/louis...bribery-2017-9

University has a 1:00 pm press conference.
    Last edited by Strikes Out Looking; 09-27-2017 at 11:52 AM.

14. Likes:

Dom Heffner (09-27-2017)

Apparently the interim president told Jurich to fire Pitino. Jurich refused, so both are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Yep. Even if we don't shed any tears over the fact that SMU has never returned to football prominence, the collateral damage to other schools was substantial. A big-time school just can't be taken off the board without a major impact on its conference, scheduling, TV contracts, etc. They used to take schools off of TV for probation, too, but stopped doing that because it was also punishing the opponents' fans who couldn't watch their team play.

For those reasons, I don't expect Louisville or any other school to get the death penalty no matter how deserved. Extreme sanctions and postseason bans that may or may not stick after a year or two (e.g. Penn State), probably.
    I said the same thing with the Penn State scandal that the death penalty is too good for them. Because then the program becomes a martyr. IMO, the best way to handle it is to eliminate all but a few scholarships for the program. Give one back every year that they are found to be in compliance. Cut their budget by at least 50%. Make them a glorified D III team. See how many people support them after getting routed by their fellow ACC schools much less UK. Make them an object of ridicule. Hold them up as an example to other schools: If you're going to cheat, this is what will happen and if you are caught, you are going to beg for the death penalty.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I said the same thing with the Penn State scandal that the death penalty is too good for them. Because then the program becomes a martyr. IMO, the best way to handle it is to eliminate all but a few scholarships for the program. Give one back every year that they are found to be in compliance. Cut their budget by at least 50%. Make them a glorified D III team. See how many people support them after getting routed by their fellow ACC schools much less UK. Make them an object of ridicule. Hold them up as an example to other schools: If you're going to cheat, this is what will happen and if you are caught, you are going to beg for the death penalty.
    PSU is really only comparable to Baylor at this point (Both football and basketball with Bliss.) I do wonder this, and if we all agree that the game of college basketball is dirty to some extend across the nation. The NCAA knows this, they have to, they have to understand that something is going on. I think we as fans act like the immature teenager who thinks his parents are stupid. But the reality is going after the cash cows is bad for the NCAA, its bad for the conferences, its bad for the other student athletes, and its bad for the students. Its this trickle down effect that seems only to get punished when something really sever goes down. But if the are to do what you want, Chip, are the other programs who are complicit to some extent, going to be in favor of that?

I can only speak to OSU because its really the only school I have close association with. But the cash cow that is OSU football has ripple effects in the entire athletic department, the entire, school, and even the entire city of Columbus. Because of OSU football the AD is allowed to fund ever single sport that makes sense (they aren't going to have a ski team.) I am not saying that had OSU football gotten into big trouble if severe sanctions weren't required, but the ripple down effect would have been severe. And most member schools of the NCAA wouldn't really want those kind of sanctions to potentially happen to them.

Turn Off Ads?