Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone traveling for the eclipse?

Re: Anyone traveling for the eclipse?

Well, I live in Wichita. Which may also have something to do with how I view Dallas.

2. Likes:

Chip R (08-29-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

For those of us more local to Cincy and Ohio, one will only have to travel to northern Indiana, Toledo, or southern Michigan to experience totality in 2024.

Here's hoping it's a sunny day.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

5. Likes:

dougdirt (08-21-2017),goreds2 (08-22-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    For those of us more local to Cincy and Ohio, one will only have to travel to northern Indiana, Toledo, or southern Michigan to experience totality in 2024.

Here's hoping it's a sunny day.
    According to this Dayton is supposed to get a total eclipse in 2024

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...sQTS94HVUJ7cM/

Went from Southern Ky to Nashville where some family live. Totality was awesome, well worth the 3 hr drive. If it wasn't for totality it wouldn't be worth much of a drive at all. Luckily it seemed as if traffic out of Nashville was all trying to go south on 65 or 24 but we weren't delayed much at all heading east on 40. Sister was in rural western Kentucky and had nightmare traffic on the way home near Bardstown. Pretty sure Cincinnati is just south of totality for the 2024 eclipse. I know Indy is well within it. I say go if you can. 99% better in totality than not in it!
    If someone could tutor me through it, I could add a pretty decent photo of it.
    Last edited by Hollcat; 08-22-2017 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post

Most of Butler County will get the total eclipse in 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post

Even better if true.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Just got back from Wyoming. I've seen many partial eclipses in my lifetime, through pinholes and glasses, but TOTALITY is TOTALLY AWESOME.
    Doug, kick yourself, man.
    2:20 of totality in Guernsey, WY was worth the time money and effort.

Wife and daughter made a makeshift solar filter out of eclipse glasses and got awesome pictures of the eclipse and afterwards without the filter (you don't need one) of the total eclipse.

There were people with all kinds of telescopes and cameras, etc. A lot of geeky camaraderie. No one minded the port-a-potties (much).

Don't miss 2024 guys. I'll be looking to crash with some of you guys in Ohio or Texas.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

11. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (08-22-2017),dougdirt (08-22-2017),paintmered (08-22-2017),Redsfaithful (08-22-2017)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Took my friend 5 hours to drive down to Nashville from Dayton, 10 1/2 coming back. Interestingly enough, he and his girlfriend share the same birthday, which happened to be Monday during the eclipse, so that's cool.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-23-2017),oneupper (08-22-2017)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree. We won't have far to go either. Totality is the only thing here. Partial eclipses, even 90% or so here, is no big deal.

2024 it'll be on Monday April 8th. The Reds had better not open late that year...
    The REDS should play a Day Game in Dayton.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

You guys are lucky that managed to see it, I wasn't able to do it. Feel I missed something big

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Took my friend 5 hours to drive down to Nashville from Dayton, 10 1/2 coming back. Interestingly enough, he and his girlfriend share the same birthday, which happened to be Monday during the eclipse, so that's cool.
    We drove down from Dayton towards Nashville Monday and traffic southbound was brutal.
    Just made it into the zone of totality and an hour after totality continued south towards a hotel.
    After totality...southbound was clear and northbound traffic was a parking lot.
    Drove up on Tuesday and.....traffic was brutal.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    We stayed in Nashville Monday night fearing the escape traffic. The construction at Elizabethtown, KY was unreal. We got struck an hour in that mess and it was because an RV broke down on the other side of the north bound split lane. That side was stuck for a lot longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    We stayed in Nashville Monday night fearing the escape traffic. The construction at Elizabethtown, KY was unreal. We got struck an hour in that mess and it was because an RV broke down on the other side of the north bound split lane. That side was stuck for a lot longer.
    Doug - steer clear of any "deals" on an RV near Elizabethtown.

19. Likes:

WrongVerb (08-26-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Doug - steer clear of any "deals" on an RV near Elizabethtown.
    I've always wanted to swing through Elizabethtown....

Near totality here was cool. Definitely going somewhere for totality in 2024.

Eclipse also gave me the good fortune of meeting a local media personality who's my "if that person walks in the door, we've had a great run together hon but you gotta leave me for him/her and no hard feelings at all". Out of the blue, she walked up to me and asked to interview me. We chatted for a few minutes. Video ended up on the cutting room floor, but she was very gracious to take a pic together and gave me her card.

The subsequent text/photo exchange w Mrs fan was epic. Think Good Will Hunting and the "do you like apples?" scene, followed by lots of laughter. Another reminder that I do in fact have the greatest wife in the world and wouldn't trade her for anyone.

22. Likes:

dougdirt (08-29-2017)

Turn Off Ads?