Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deck McGuire

Deck McGuire

Has been in AA all season. His stats line is 9-8, 2.63 ERA, 157 innings, 8.87 Ks rate, 3.09 BB rate, 0.63 HR rate, FIP 3.20, xFIP .331. Lowish GB rate at 39%. 28 years old, was high first round pick - No. 11 to Blue Jays.

Presumably stays at AA to pitch in playoffs, otherwise should have moved up to AAA.

Certainly has had a good year, surprised he hasn't been moved up? Future with Reds, possible BOR starter? Late bloomer or just handling less experienced competition?
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-23-2017 at 01:45 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Back from the dead..maybe Homer's Ghost's Avatar

Re: Deck McGuire

Looks like a pretty nice deck to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Austin Ross is a similar case. He was the best pitcher in the Southern League for the first half, got a look in Louisville, didn't fare particularly well, and was on the DL for a while. Now he seems to be rounding into shape again. McGuire is probably readier at this point, but Ross has been roundly overlooked.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ching/2017/ALL

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Austin Ross is a similar case. He was the best pitcher in the Southern League for the first half, got a look in Louisville, didn't fare particularly well, and was on the DL for a while. Now he seems to be rounding into shape again. McGuire is probably readier at this point, but Ross has been roundly overlooked.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ching/2017/ALL
    I'm sure some would say no, these guys don't have top shelf stuff. But every year the Reds wind up giving starts to pitchers like Adleman, Wojo. Wonder if McGuire and Ross are in that category, or perhaps slightly better.

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

I'm guessing Deck McGuire remains in AA because internal scouting has deemed that Deck McGuire is a AA-level pitcher. This isn't rocket surgery, folks. With how bad the Reds pitching has been, and the fact that they've shown a willingness to promote pitchers from AA, don't you think that if they thought DM had a chance to succeed in the majors they'd have promoted him by now?

This is like the Danny Dorn debate all over again.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

7. Likes:

OGB (09-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm guessing Deck McGuire remains in AA because internal scouting has deemed that Deck McGuire is a AA-level pitcher. This isn't rocket surgery, folks. With how bad the Reds pitching has been, and the fact that they've shown a willingness to promote pitchers from AA, don't you think that if they thought DM had a chance to succeed in the majors they'd have promoted him by now?
    That may be, but my personal feeling is that in baseball if you are succeeding you should continue to progress until you actually fail. Particularly for a franchise that is just playing out the string, it makes sense to me to give a guy like this a cup of coffee and a chance to prove himself. If your scouting is right, you're probably a couple of extra losses closer to a better draft pick. Really nothing to lose.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-23-2017),blakesta12 (08-24-2017),RED VAN HOT (08-23-2017),Tuff Nut (08-24-2017)

....28 years old? Hard to imagine anything good coming from that. I mean...unless you are trying to get better draft picks.
    Otoh...What does this franchise have to lose?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    That may be, but my personal feeling is that in baseball if you are succeeding you should continue to progress until you actually fail. Particularly for a franchise that is just playing out the string, it makes sense to me to give a guy like this a cup of coffee and a chance to prove himself. If your scouting is right, you're probably a couple of extra losses closer to a better draft pick. Really nothing to lose.
    Actually, there is. To bring up a guy like McGuire, you need a 40-man spot. Which means that you are losing someone that you felt was a better big leaguer to give it a try. Or, if you 60-day DL someone to create the roster spot, you're losing $21,000 a week to pay him a guy like McGuire as a "try-and-see". Which, it's not my money, so I don't really care. But, that money doesn't just come out of thin air, either.

12. Likes:

OGB (09-07-2017)

Fair enough on the $21k. But I thought I read in another thread that the Reds had only 38 on the 40 man now. If the 40 man spot is available, the $21k doesn't seem like much of a loss to take a look at a guy who has show he can consistently get professional hitters out. The only way to REALLY know if he can consistently get better professional hitters out is to put him out there.

Also, he's currently at AA. There's REALLY nothing to lose by giving him a few turns at AAA. There are certainly some guys down there now who we KNOW can't get guys out at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Fair enough on the $21k. But I thought I read in another thread that the Reds had only 38 on the 40 man now. If the 40 man spot is available, the $21k doesn't seem like much of a loss to take a look at a guy who has show he can consistently get professional hitters out. The only way to REALLY know if he can consistently get better professional hitters out is to put him out there.

Also, he's currently at AA. There's REALLY nothing to lose by giving him a few turns at AAA. There are certainly some guys down there now who we KNOW can't get guys out at that level.
    Well, I was being a little bit broad with the 40-man spot, thing. They're going to need it soon enough if it is open and probably for someone they think a lot more of than Deck McGuire (with all due respect to him, of course - but the team may want to get a look at a Blandino/Mahle type in September and had planned for that spot going to them - not to mention the odds are incredible that they may need TWO spots for two catchers next week on the 40-man with both Barnhart and Turner looking like they'll both be on paternity leave at the same time).

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

This is like the Danny Dorn debate all over again.
    Rocket surgery. Nice mixed metaphor there, I'll use that one.

I don't think it's talent level. I think they have him at AA because it's a playoff team. That's why Senzel is still there IMO.

The Reds like sometimes to give players a good playoff experience in the minors, as a form of development, to get experience playing in keen competition. I think it's impacted some of their decisions this second half. McGuire helps them do well in the playoffs, possibly.

The Reds have moved many people from AA to AAA, one with Deck's numbers would normally get that call up.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, I was being a little bit broad with the 40-man spot, thing. They're going to need it soon enough if it is open and probably for someone they think a lot more of than Deck McGuire (with all due respect to him, of course - but the team may want to get a look at a Blandino/Mahle type in September and had planned for that spot going to them - not to mention the odds are incredible that they may need TWO spots for two catchers next week on the 40-man with both Barnhart and Turner looking like they'll both be on paternity leave at the same time).
    The forty man roster has no bearing on the decision not to move McGuire up to AAA.

It may explain no major league call up, but it doesn't explain whey he's not at AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The forty man roster has no bearing on the decision not to move McGuire up to AAA.

It may explain no major league call up, but it doesn't explain whey he's not at AAA.
    To AAA, sure. But I don't think that's where this thread was going much.

The Reds have a fondness for signing once high draft choices whose careers have stalled. Presumably, it is to catch lightning in a bottle and find a way to unlock the potential once thought to be there. The McGuire signing seemed that way to me. Perhaps, I am wrong. Maybe they signed him as AA filler who would never go further. It does seem odd, however, that despite his success he was never even moved up to AAA in a year when the Reds were looking under every rock for starting pitchers. I would not have expected a jump directly to ML from AA, but AAA as a first step? As long as you have him, why not see what you have before he goes.

19. Likes:

mace (08-23-2017)

McGuire in AA playoff game tonight, 8 shutout innings, 4 hits allowed, 13 Ks, no walks.

21. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-07-2017),BillDoran (09-07-2017),cincyinco (09-07-2017),klw (09-07-2017),RED VAN HOT (09-07-2017),Redeyecat (09-25-2017),SirFelixCat (09-07-2017),Tuff Nut (09-07-2017)

Turn Off Ads?