Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 83

Thread: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    3,444

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    Not sure whether you guys have noticed, but we're not very good.

  2. Likes:

    Banshee (08-23-2017)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #62
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    18,827

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I was sitting here tonight wondering the same thing. "Why do I bother with this?"

    I haven't come up with an answer yet.
    Absolutely. This _____ (whatever term you want to use) is downright unwatchable. 8 of those 9 innings (of the Reds) were pitched by guys who are not major league pitchers. They certainly would not make the Cubs 25 man roster and I'll go out on a limb and say they'd not even make their 40 man roster. They probably wouldn't even pitch for Iowa. How are we fans supposed to watch this? The Cubs had their own injuries to deal with. They had to do "next man up" tonight and he threw 6 shutout innings

  5. #63
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    26,932

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    Cubs 9
    Reds 3
    Final
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  6. #64
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    26,932

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    Tonight's Joe Nuxhall Star of the Game is Luke Farrell, who pitched 3 innings of one-hit shutout relief with 3 K's in his Reds debut.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  7. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (08-24-2017)

  8. #65
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    29,377

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    Maybe play Winker everyday?
    I'm basically PriceHater69 here but I can't fault him for this one, he has corner outfielders.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

  9. Likes:

    Wonderful Monds (08-23-2017)

  10. #66
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    26,932

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    On pace for 68-94.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  11. #67
    Back from the dead..maybe Homer's Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    28,662

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm basically PriceHater69 here but I can't fault him for this one, he has corner outfielders.
    Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

  12. Likes:

    Tom Servo (08-23-2017),Wonderful Monds (08-23-2017)

  13. #68
    Member CrackerJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,115

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm basically PriceHater69 here but I can't fault him for this one, he has corner outfielders.
    Schebler has done little in the 2nd half (1 HR, and a quickly deflating BA, OBP and OPS), Winker is out-performing him, I guess I just don't consider 207 career ML games a long enough track record to keep Winker's consistent production on the bench, when one is clearly out-performing the other at the plate. If Winker were not hitting well, and had not hit well in the minors, different story I suppose.

    I would think everyone outside of Votto and Cozart to be in some sort of competition for a spot, considering it's such a bad team. The more you produce and/or improve, the more you play, right? (when there's an opportunity to do so)

  14. #69
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    29,377

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Schebler has done little in the 2nd half (1 HR, and a quickly deflating BA, OBP and OPS), Winker is out-performing him, I guess I just don't consider 207 career ML games a long enough track record to keep Winker's consistent production on the bench, when one is clearly out-performing the other at the plate. If Winker were not hitting well, and had not hit well in the minors, different story I suppose.
    I actually like Winker more than Schebler long term, but jeez. You play great in the first half but a slump and another guy having a strong 3 weeks means you're on the outside looking in?
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

  15. #70
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,803

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I actually like Winker more than Schebler long term, but jeez. You play great in the first half but a slump and another guy having a strong 3 weeks means you're on the outside looking in?
    I'd be fine with a Scott Schebler experiment in CF for a few weeks, as you mentioned the other day.

    But if he fails that, Duvall and Billy will have spots locked up, which leads us to Schebler v Winker.

    Just too many guys right now. It's a tough situation, but I'm rooting for Winker (I have high hopes) to Pipp Schebler the rest of the year. Come the offseason, someone has to go.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 08-23-2017 at 11:08 PM.

  16. #71
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    26,932

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I actually like Winker more than Schebler long term, but jeez. You play great in the first half but a slump and another guy having a strong 3 weeks means you're on the outside looking in?
    It doesn't really matter to me, because this team will continue to stink on ice regardless of who is playing in RF. But I think part of the clamor for Winker is because he is the "Flavor of the Week", and also because he is a Reds prospect, where Schebler is an "outsider" from another organization. I like them both, and I think a good manager could find a way to play four outfielders. Winker is a nice hitter, but he has flaws in his overall game as well. Schebler is the better defensive player, and he's a much better athlete and runner both on the bases and in the field. Schebler also has much more power.

    Once the "new car smell" wears off, people will be calling for Winker's head too.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  17. #72
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,803

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    It doesn't really matter to me, because this team will continue to stink on ice regardless of who is playing in RF. But I think part of the clamor for Winker is because he is the "Flavor of the Week", and also because he is a Reds prospect, where Schebler is an "outsider" from another organization. I like them both, and I think a good manager could find a way to play four outfielders. Winker is a nice hitter, but he has flaws in his overall game as well. Schebler is the better defensive player, and he's a much better athlete and runner both on the bases and in the field. Schebler also has much more power.

    Once the "new car smell" wears off, people will be calling for Winker's head too.
    That's selling Winker (and some of our admiration for him) short.

    I had him ranked higher than Stephenson back in the day when it was unpopular to do so. He's a pure hitter and I've been wanting one of those a long time. He's the last guy prior to Senzel and Greene that I've really been excited for in the minors...and I'm not the only one like that.

    So I reject your "new car smell" and "flavor of the week" admonition.

  18. #73
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    29,377

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    That's selling Winker (and some of our admiration for him) short.

    I had him ranked higher than Stephenson back in the day when it was unpopular to do so. He's a pure hitter and I've been wanting one of those a long time. He's the last guy prior to Senzel and Greene that I've really been excited for in the minors...and I'm not the only one like that.

    So I reject your "new car smell" and "flavor of the week" admonition.
    I don't think Klu is totally off the mark though. Redszone can be reactionary, in May it was all about how Duvall and Schebler have the corners locked down and Winker is an expendable disappointment who never developed power.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

  19. #74
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    26,932

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    That's selling Winker (and some of our admiration for him) short.

    I had him ranked higher than Stephenson back in the day when it was unpopular to do so. He's a pure hitter and I've been wanting one of those a long time. He's the last guy prior to Senzel and Greene that I've really been excited for in the minors...and I'm not the only one like that.

    So I reject your "new car smell" and "flavor of the week" admonition.
    I like the kid. As I've said before, he reminds me of Hal Morris (which is a definite compliment in my book).

    But I don't see the point in getting upset because he isn't getting every inning of every game. He's going to see plenty of action over the next 5 weeks. However, the Reds have other young OF's who also need to see some action. As I've said, history has shown that a good Reds manager can find playing time for four (and sometimes even five) outfielders.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  20. #75
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,803

    Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't think Klu is totally off the mark though. Redszone can be reactionary, in May it was all about how Duvall and Schebler have the corners locked down and Winker is an expendable disappointment who never developed power.
    The power was admittedly a concern but never point of contention with me. I know there are a lot of Winker fans around...he's not just any prospect. He was red-hot a few years ago, the car accident and the power zap occured, but the hit tool was pretty much always there. I was talking about trading Billy last year and Duvall/Schebler earlier in the year. I don't want to...but like I said I'm a Winker fan and I'm excited to see what he brings. There are just too many guys...and pragmatically I'm just not a fan of trying to shoehorn 4 guys into 3 spots.

    And this isn't just to clear my name...like I said many reasonable Winker fans are out there. You mentioned you are bullish on him moreso compared to Schebler. If Schebler can't man CF (and honestly that is dicey...we all know that) what's your plan? Who goes?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator