Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who you got?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Connor McGregor by KO

    0 0%
  • Connor McGregor by decisions

    0 0%
  • Floyd Mayweather by KO

    6 31.58%
  • Floyd Mayweather by decision

    3 15.79%
  • I'm not watching and don't care

    10 52.63%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65

Thread: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

  1. #31
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    13,422

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    It'll be like every other Mayweather fight ever: It'll go the distance, be boring as hell, and Mayweather will win a unanimous decision.

    Having said that, I have $20 on McGregor by KO in Rd. 1 at +1450, just to keep things interesting.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    13,422

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I just can't wrap my head around this kind of thinking. I really can't.

    Floyd Mayweather is fighting an amateur boxer. AMATEUR. This fight should have never been sanctioned. It's a flat out joke that a governing body is letting this happen.
    Floyd doesn't go for knockouts, especially not at his age. It's not even a thought in his mind. He's especially not going to go for a knockout against a guy with absolutely no film and a history of hitting people hard. He's going to do what he always does -- move, defend, be conservative, and score points to win rounds.

    The only chance of a knockout happening in this fight is if McGregor does something absolutely crazy that catches Floyd off balance early (and knocks out Floyd) or if McGregor brain-farts in ring and drops guard to protect himself against an MMA-takedown on instinct, and leaves himself completely exposed to a massive shot.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

  4. #33
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,923

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Floyd doesn't go for knockouts, especially not at his age. It's not even a thought in his mind. He's especially not going to go for a knockout against a guy with absolutely no film and a history of hitting people hard. He's going to do what he always does -- move, defend, be conservative, and score points to win rounds.

    The only chance of a knockout happening in this fight is if McGregor does something absolutely crazy that catches Floyd off balance early (and knocks out Floyd) or if McGregor brain-farts in ring and drops guard to protect himself against an MMA-takedown on instinct, and leaves himself completely exposed to a massive shot.
    Mayweather doesn't go for knockouts anymore against ELITE BOXERS. He's fighting an amateur.

  5. #34
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    1,150

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I just can't wrap my head around this kind of thinking. I really can't.

    Floyd Mayweather is fighting an amateur boxer. AMATEUR. This fight should have never been sanctioned. It's a flat out joke that a governing body is letting this happen.
    What exactly is so crazy about it? I'm not saying McGregor is going to win, but I do 100% believe he (and many other MMA fighters) could go 12 rounds with a boxer. It might be ugly and embarrassing, but it's not at all beyond the realms of possibility.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

  6. #35
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,923

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    What exactly is so crazy about it? I'm not saying McGregor is going to win, but I do 100% believe he (and many other MMA fighters) could go 12 rounds with a boxer. It might be ugly and embarrassing, but it's not at all beyond the realms of possibility.
    What's so crazy about it?

    That one guy has literally never fought a profession boxer in his entire life and the other one is one of the best boxers of all time. Heck, Conor McGregor isn't even an AMATEUR boxer.

    Think about this one: Vasyl Lomenchenko was one of the most accomplished amateur boxers ever. He went 396-1. He won two gold medals in the olympics. He won two more gold medals in the world championships. He finally turned pro at age 26. He won his first fight. Then they put him in the ring against Orlando Salido for a vacant world title. Salido's a good fighter. No one's ever confused him with a great, or elite fighter. Salido beat Lomenchenko for the belt.

    There's just a world of difference in skills in a boxing ring between these guys.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 08-25-2017 at 09:12 PM. Reason: typo - it gets me every single time.

  7. Likes:

    Mutaman (08-25-2017),Redsfaithful (08-25-2017)

  8. #36
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,753

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    Lance Armstrong runs marathons. He's run 2:46. Running and cycling are both cardio endurance events. So same neighborhood, just like MMA and boxing.

    2:46 is a very good time. Any pro marathoner would beat him by 30-40 minutes.

    This is the same thing, a lot of people just can't see it for some reason. I'm not sure why.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

  9. #37
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,923

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Lance Armstrong runs marathons. He's run 2:46. Running and cycling are both cardio endurance events. So same neighborhood, just like MMA and boxing.

    2:46 is a very good time. Any pro marathoner would beat him by 30-40 minutes.

    This is the same thing, a lot of people just can't see it for some reason. I'm not sure why.
    It's either complete ignorance of MMA/Boxing, or the blinded by the fact that they hate Floyd so much that they want it to be true that he'll lose.

    I'll be honest: I HOPE Conor knocks Floyd out. I think it would be terrible for boxing, and as a big boxing fan, that would suck, but Floyd simply isn't a good dude. I can't root for him. I feel bad watching his fights and I've probably given him about $100 over the last 10 years ($100 his cut from the fights I've chipped in on - I've spent more than that on his fights, but other people/companies are getting their cut). I still watch, though.

    But, at the end of the day, I'm rational. I just can't put together anything other than "luckiest punch ever" that gets Conor a win in this fight. Well, that or a situation where he breaks his own ankle stepping on a foot or something and just can't continue.

  10. #38
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    35,965

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    I'm not going to spend a cent on the fight or a second watching it, but if you want to watch an Irishman get dismantled it's guaranteed to happen in this fight. McGregor's face is going to look like hamburger before this one ends. I also suspect Floyd's also going to hit him with a ridiculous number of left hooks to the liver. I doubt Floyd goes for a quick knockout, but the accumulation of punches he lands is going to be fearsome.
    Wait until the year after next year.

  11. #39
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    1,150

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What's so crazy about it?

    That one guy has literally never fought a profession boxer in his entire life and the other one is one of the best boxers of all time. Heck, Conor McGregor isn't even an AMATEUR boxer.

    Think about this one: Vasyl Lomenchenko was one of the most accomplished amateur boxers ever. He went 396-1. He won two gold medals in the olympics. He won two more gold medals in the world championships. He finally turned pro at age 26. He won his first fight. Then they put him in the ring against Orlando Salido for a vacant world title. Salido's a good fighter. No one's ever confused him with a great, or elite fighter. Salido beat Lomenchenko for the belt.

    There's just a world of difference in skills in a boxing ring between these guys.
    It's crazy to think McGregor could get humiliated for 12 rounds? That's all I implied what might happen.

    His profession is FIGHTING, in a much more brutal sport. I don't doubt a boxer could last three rounds in the Octagon with a proper training camp - we just haven't seen enough boxers make that transition, and vice versa with MMA fighters. It just seems so silly to me that people think this won't last more than a few rounds, and not because McGregor might KO Mayweather...

    Don't really have much else to add. Personally, I'm glad the fight is happening.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

  12. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    8,735

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    We kind of had one of these fights at Lents Park in 1975. Tommy Sullivan, who would win the Light Heavyweight GG's National Title that year but lose in the Olympic Trials (in Detroit, if I remember) to Michael Spinks in '76. (His brother, Johnny, a Welter weight, would break his hand in those same trials.) Tommy fought this guy who proclaimed himself the baddest MF in town. He had a blackbelt in Karate, I don't know what degree. Dan Anderson, former World Karate Champion had Randy Couture for a pupil, who combined the excellent wrestling instructors in the East Portland/Gresham area to help begin his scholl Team Quest, already had his Karate studio in the Lents neighborhood ( I grew up across the street from the park).

    Nobody knew what the outcome would be. It ended up as a draw, which I thought was good for Tommy because he only had his fists.

    Under the rules of this matchup, Mayweather should crush him. Mayweather would have to break his hand to lose.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-26-2017 at 01:51 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  13. #41
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,923

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    It's crazy to think McGregor could get humiliated for 12 rounds? That's all I implied what might happen.

    His profession is FIGHTING, in a much more brutal sport. I don't doubt a boxer could last three rounds in the Octagon with a proper training camp - we just haven't seen enough boxers make that transition, and vice versa with MMA fighters. It just seems so silly to me that people think this won't last more than a few rounds, and not because McGregor might KO Mayweather...

    Don't really have much else to add. Personally, I'm glad the fight is happening.
    It's crazy to think that somehow a guy who is literally not even an amateur boxer is going to go 12 rounds with one of the 20 best boxers to ever live in a boxing match, yes.

    A boxer would get destroyed in an MMA fight. There's not enough training today to make it work unless they also happened to be a high level wrestler in college somehow, too. The fight would go to the ground, immediately, and it would be over with a quickness. Guys these days are training BJJ for years and years now, well before they get into the cage. A boxer simply doesn't have the time required to do that and "catch up". I think you have a real lack of understanding of just how difficult it is to get to the level of an elite level MMA guy or an elite level boxer. The time, the years that they put in. The skills acquired along with all of that work - you can't just make that up by starting when you're 25. Once upon a time in MMA maybe you could. Not today. Maybe in 1997 when things were a lot different in MMA.

  14. Likes:

    Redsfaithful (08-26-2017)

  15. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    737

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    No way? So it's impossible that if Floyd has Conor in a predicament that Conor just takes him down or gives him a kick tot he head just by force of habit? I mean he'd be DQed but I think it's a possibility.
    I would imagine there is a clause in the contract where he would receive 0% of his fight purse if this happened.

  16. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    737

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What's so crazy about it?

    That one guy has literally never fought a profession boxer in his entire life and the other one is one of the best boxers of all time. Heck, Conor McGregor isn't even an AMATEUR boxer.

    Think about this one: Vasyl Lomenchenko was one of the most accomplished amateur boxers ever. He went 396-1. He won two gold medals in the olympics. He won two more gold medals in the world championships. He finally turned pro at age 26. He won his first fight. Then they put him in the ring against Orlando Salido for a vacant world title. Salido's a good fighter. No one's ever confused him with a great, or elite fighter. Salido beat Lomenchenko for the belt.

    There's just a world of difference in skills in a boxing ring between these guys.
    I can't see Floyd KO'ing Mcgregor with one punch. But IMO it will be stopped but because of the sheer volume he will land.

  17. #44
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    1,150

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    When it happens, will you eat your shoe? Maybe boil it with some garlic and herbs?

    I don't remember Herschel Walker having any BJJ or grappling experience. He was just a freak. There have been quite a few guys who made it to the UFC, Bellator or wherever with very limited to no experience in BJJ or wrestling. Poor Brendan Schaub had neither, didn't even enjoy fighting, yet somehow made his way to the UFC. You need to train for it, obviously, but McGregor himself has rarely been taken to the ground. I think Diaz and Mendes are the only two to have done it to him in the UFC.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

  18. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    3,444

    Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

    McGregor is 16-1 to throw a kick.

  19. Likes:

    Chip R (08-26-2017)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator