Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Harvey

Re: Hurricane Harvey

Really oughta take it to the other thread. Assuming Sea Ray's allowed in there, I don't know.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Really oughta take it to the other thread. Assuming Sea Ray's allowed in there, I don't know.
    And I'll say again. The fact we as a society are politicizing science is sad.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

Homer's Ghost (08-30-2017),Redsfaithful (08-29-2017),westofyou (08-29-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Oh yeah, I agree with you 100%, you can just see where this is going.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

6. Likes:

westofyou (08-29-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Okay, five minutes with Google and Excel later, and the number of annual named Atlantic storms, hurricanes and strong hurricanes have all increased from 1860 to 2016, using a linear regression of 10-year rolling averages. The annual number of named storms has effectively doubled during that time.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E11.html to see for yourself.
    Jeez, the report explicitly states that the number of Atlantic storms was unknown before satellite imagery, so only the number of landfalling hurricanes is reliable. It then follows with this statement:

1950 is recorded as the busiest season in the whole database for number of Major Hurricanes with 8.
    1886 is recorded as the most active hurricane season for the continental USA with 7 landfalling hurricanes.

The only reason that named storms have effectively doubled since 1860 is because we couldn't identify them back then.
    Last edited by BernieCarbo; 08-30-2017 at 01:07 AM.

8. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-30-2017),Sea Ray (08-30-2017)

nm

From the looks of social media, things are going very wrong in Port Arthur and Beaumont.

Even if you are correct global warming is not causing an increase in tropical storms - that quote does nothing to back your opinion up.
    It shows that people in the field agree with me. That's back up

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Of course I'm allowed in there but I've made my point. No reason to keep repeating myself there

Just to be clear, the ones politicizing it are the ones who are saying "this is an example of global warming. Now let's mobilize our politicians to do something about it."

The right isn't pushing for politicians to get involved at all

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Just to be clear, the ones politicizing it are the ones who are saying "this is an example of global warming. Now let's mobilize our politicians to do something about it."

The right isn't pushing for politicians to get involved at all
    The fact you think this is a right v left issue shows you are wrong. I have multiple friends on the right who believe climate change/global warming is a major issue and must be addressed.

"The right" also believes government should not be involved in regulating banks, companies, prisons, real estate, etc - doesn't mean those issues haven't been politicized.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-30-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It shows that people in the field agree with me. That's back up
    Uh, did you read what you posted? "No firm conlusion either way" does not = "global warming has no impact on tropical storms."

"The right" also believes government should not be involved in regulating banks, companies, prisons, real estate, etc - doesn't mean those issues haven't been politicized.
    Anyone that's this far right is actually an extreme leftist. Because they're essentially an anarchist.

The fact you think this is a right v left issue shows you are wrong. I have multiple friends on the right who believe climate change/global warming is a major issue and must be addressed.

I'm not saying that climate change isn't a problem or that it doesn't need to be addressed. I'm saying leave this hurricane out of it. Address it the same way you did two weeks ago. If you're using this event to further your global warming agenda then you are politicizing it

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Anyone that's this far right is actually an extreme leftist. Because they're essentially an anarchist.
    Huh? That's just not true.

Uh, did you read what you posted? "No firm conlusion either way" does not = "global warming has no impact on tropical storms."
    I'm going to repeat this again. For the final time, my point is that there is no firm conclusion that global warming had anything to do with this storm.

Turn Off Ads?