Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 155

Thread: Hurricane Harvey

  1. #46
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    Really oughta take it to the other thread. Assuming Sea Ray's allowed in there, I don't know.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,797

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Really oughta take it to the other thread. Assuming Sea Ray's allowed in there, I don't know.
    And I'll say again. The fact we as a society are politicizing science is sad.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  4. Likes:

    Homer's Ghost (08-30-2017),Redsfaithful (08-29-2017),westofyou (08-29-2017)

  5. #48
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    And I'll say again. The fact we as a society are politicizing science is sad.
    Oh yeah, I agree with you 100%, you can just see where this is going.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

  6. Likes:

    westofyou (08-29-2017)

  7. #49
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,188

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Okay, five minutes with Google and Excel later, and the number of annual named Atlantic storms, hurricanes and strong hurricanes have all increased from 1860 to 2016, using a linear regression of 10-year rolling averages. The annual number of named storms has effectively doubled during that time.

    http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E11.html to see for yourself.
    Jeez, the report explicitly states that the number of Atlantic storms was unknown before satellite imagery, so only the number of landfalling hurricanes is reliable. It then follows with this statement:

    1950 is recorded as the busiest season in the whole database for number of Major Hurricanes with 8.
    1886 is recorded as the most active hurricane season for the continental USA with 7 landfalling hurricanes.

    The only reason that named storms have effectively doubled since 1860 is because we couldn't identify them back then.
    Last edited by BernieCarbo; 08-30-2017 at 01:07 AM.

  8. Likes:

    alwaysawarrior (08-30-2017),Sea Ray (08-30-2017)

  9. #50
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    48,416

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    nm

  10. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    986

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    From the looks of social media, things are going very wrong in Port Arthur and Beaumont.

  11. #52
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,056

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Even if you are correct global warming is not causing an increase in tropical storms - that quote does nothing to back your opinion up.
    It shows that people in the field agree with me. That's back up

  12. #53
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,056

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Really oughta take it to the other thread. Assuming Sea Ray's allowed in there, I don't know.
    Of course I'm allowed in there but I've made my point. No reason to keep repeating myself there

  13. #54
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,056

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    And I'll say again. The fact we as a society are politicizing science is sad.
    Just to be clear, the ones politicizing it are the ones who are saying "this is an example of global warming. Now let's mobilize our politicians to do something about it."

    The right isn't pushing for politicians to get involved at all

  14. #55
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,797

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Just to be clear, the ones politicizing it are the ones who are saying "this is an example of global warming. Now let's mobilize our politicians to do something about it."

    The right isn't pushing for politicians to get involved at all
    The fact you think this is a right v left issue shows you are wrong. I have multiple friends on the right who believe climate change/global warming is a major issue and must be addressed.

    "The right" also believes government should not be involved in regulating banks, companies, prisons, real estate, etc - doesn't mean those issues haven't been politicized.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-30-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  15. #56
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,797

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It shows that people in the field agree with me. That's back up
    Uh, did you read what you posted? "No firm conlusion either way" does not = "global warming has no impact on tropical storms."
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  16. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    3,541

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    "The right" also believes government should not be involved in regulating banks, companies, prisons, real estate, etc - doesn't mean those issues haven't been politicized.
    Anyone that's this far right is actually an extreme leftist. Because they're essentially an anarchist.

  17. #58
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,056

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The fact you think this is a right v left issue shows you are wrong. I have multiple friends on the right who believe climate change/global warming is a major issue and must be addressed.

    "The right" also believes government should not be involved in regulating banks, companies, prisons, real estate, etc - doesn't mean those issues haven't been politicized.
    I'm not saying that climate change isn't a problem or that it doesn't need to be addressed. I'm saying leave this hurricane out of it. Address it the same way you did two weeks ago. If you're using this event to further your global warming agenda then you are politicizing it

  18. #59
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,797

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Anyone that's this far right is actually an extreme leftist. Because they're essentially an anarchist.
    Huh? That's just not true.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  19. #60
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,056

    Re: Hurricane Harvey

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Uh, did you read what you posted? "No firm conlusion either way" does not = "global warming has no impact on tropical storms."
    I'm going to repeat this again. For the final time, my point is that there is no firm conclusion that global warming had anything to do with this storm.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator