Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Harvey

Re: Hurricane Harvey

OK get back on subject of Hurricane Harvey or this thread will be closed. Anything else take it to the political forum. There is a thread going on there about the politics of Harvey.

Thank you RZ management.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Likes:

Boston Red (08-30-2017),KittyDuran (08-30-2017),marcshoe (08-30-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The next system has already formed into a TS off Verde. Irma will make her intentions known by early next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm going to repeat this again. For the final time, my point is that there is no firm conclusion that global warming had anything to do with this storm.
    You denied global warming existed at all for years. It's part of this story whether you like it or not, and has literally zero to do with politics to everyone but you.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

6. Likes:

westofyou (08-30-2017)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm going to repeat this again. For the final time, my point is that there is no firm conclusion that global warming had anything to do with this storm.
    Baseball fans should understand probabilities more than the average joe. Better hitter = higher probability of a hit. A hit doesn't mean the batter is good. A good batter doesn't mean a certain hit.

Same thing here. Warmer waters are more conducive to cyclone formation and strengthening. That's science.
    It follows that warmer seas therefore would mean more and stronger cyclones - on average -.

Not sure why this should be controversial. What am I missing?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

8. Likes:

Joseph (08-30-2017),nmculbreth (08-31-2017),paintmered (08-30-2017),Revering4Blue (09-05-2017),RFS62 (08-30-2017),westofyou (08-30-2017),WrongVerb (08-30-2017)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    The next system has already formed into a TS off Verde. Irma will make her intentions known by early next week.
    Right now it appears Irma will stay far out in the Atlantic and not impact the US. Something to keep an eye on just in case that changes, though.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Likes:

Chip R (08-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    You denied global warming existed at all for years. It's part of this story whether you like it or not, and has literally zero to do with politics to everyone but you.
    Absoutely not true. Very dishonest on your part. There's no doubt the globe is warming. I'll leave it there.

As for this thread, since I don't feel politics have anything to do with this weather event, I'll continue to post here.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Right now it appears Irma will stay far out in the Atlantic and not impact the US. Something to keep an eye on just in case that changes, though.
    Just like I had a bad feeling in my gut last year about Matthew I've got a feeling about Irma. Hope I'm wrong but I think she's going to be a monster.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Just like I had a bad feeling in my gut last year about Matthew I've got a feeling about Irma. Hope I'm wrong but I think she's going to be a monster.
    As long as she's a monster that doesn't hit land, it's all good.

14. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (08-30-2017),WrongVerb (08-30-2017)

Code:
    FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT  30/2100Z 16.4N  31.2W   50 KT  60 MPH
     12H  31/0600Z 16.8N  32.7W   60 KT  70 MPH
     24H  31/1800Z 17.3N  34.5W   70 KT  80 MPH
     36H  01/0600Z 17.8N  36.2W   80 KT  90 MPH
     48H  01/1800Z 18.2N  38.2W   85 KT 100 MPH
     72H  02/1800Z 18.2N  43.0W   90 KT 105 MPH
     96H  03/1800Z 17.3N  47.8W   90 KT 105 MPH
    120H  04/1800Z 16.5N  52.5W   90 KT 105 MPH
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

You know who's really set to withstand a good old fashioned hurricane right now? The people of Venezuela, which it right where Irma appears to be heading according to that map.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    You know who's really set to withstand a good old fashioned hurricane right now? The people of Venezuela, which it right where Irma appears to be heading according to that map.
    Irma will turn to the north, or at worst continue due west. Very doubtful it jogs to the south to impact Venezuela.

18. Likes:

Sea Ray (08-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

Stormpulse has most of the tracks going towards Florida or the east coadt

Make America Stupid Again RFS62's Avatar

I've spent a lot of time in Texas over the years.

No matter what you think about the politics there, this is the spirit of Texans.Name:  I am a Texan.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  48.9 KB
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

21. Likes:

marcshoe (08-30-2017),Reds Fanatic (08-31-2017),Revering4Blue (09-05-2017),Roy Tucker (08-30-2017),TRF (08-31-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I've spent a lot of time in Texas over the years.

No matter what you think about the politics there, this is the spirit of Texans.Name:  I am a Texan.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  48.9 KB
    damn right it is.

But for a moment, with all the arguing going on, I'd like to remind you all that Sir_Charles lives in the Houston area.

So, maybe some thoughts for him and his family? Not sure how bad he was hit, I just hope he's ok.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

23. Likes:

KittyDuran (08-31-2017),marcshoe (08-31-2017),Raisor (08-31-2017),Revering4Blue (09-05-2017)

I donated today to a relief fund. I hope others are doing the same.

Turn Off Ads?