Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Fall League 2017

Arizona Fall League 2017

C. Trent Rosecrans‏
    @ctrent

#Reds to AFL: LHPs Joel Bender, Brennan Bernardino, RHP Jake Ehret; C Chad Tromp; 3B Taylor Sparks, SS Blake Trahan; IF TBA, P TBA

Underwhelming collection of mostly org depth so far, even moreso than last year. I guess it's worth seeing if Trahan can atone slightly for his putrid season.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Arizona Fall League 2017

Maybe Doug can explain why the Reds don't seem to use the AFL as a way to get their top position prospects experience against other teams' top prospects. Or maybe all teams treat the AFL this way? I'd rather see LaValley or Long or Blandino get an opportunity there. More data can only lead to better decisions. I can see not wanting to overextend the pitchers, though.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Underwhelming collection of mostly org depth so far, even moreso than last year. I guess it's worth seeing if Trahan can atone slightly for his putrid season.
    2nd straight year of highlighting mediocrity in the system. I was hoping for at least one OF from among Aquino, Beltre or even Medina if they're eligible (don't know if visa issues factor with Latino players). Ventura, White, O'Grady & Vazquez are a few other names I thought possible.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-29-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Best guys on that list are TBA
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

For someone with better knowledge of 40-man protection rules, are all of the listed guys players who would need to be protected this off-season? I feel like that is the best way to handle your AFL team. Guys on the 40-man bubble should get one more shot in the AFL.

7. Likes:

redsmetz (10-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    For someone with better knowledge of 40-man protection rules, are all of the listed guys players who would need to be protected this off-season? I feel like that is the best way to handle your AFL team. Guys on the 40-man bubble should get one more shot in the AFL.
    That's the way I interpret the roster. Rather than extra work for prospects who are sure to be retained, it is one last look for guys not likely to be protected.

That's a putrid embarrassing list.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    It's not that big a deal.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

11. Likes:

redsmetz (10-10-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It's not that big a deal.
    Or a big deal at all.

They are using it for last looks before the Rule 5 on guys and making up for time lost to injuries on guys. Then probably hoping the someone can fix Jake Ehret and that the friendly confines of the AFL get Trahan ready for AAA next April.

Would I prefer they sent Senzel/Long/LaValley? Absolutely - because I'm selfish and it would be far better for business to write about those guys playing well. But for the Reds, it's no big deal.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

All* of the Reds going are rule 5 eligible. Bender was due for free agency, so it looks like they probably re-signed him for next season.

edit:
    Except for Blake Trahan. My bad.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 08-30-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    All of the Reds going are rule 5 eligible. Bender was due for free agency, so it looks like they probably re-signed him for next season.
    Blake Trahan is not.

I think there is a mistaken idea that the AFL is some kind of all star league. I like the Reds using it as a last look for guys they have to decide to protect or not. It's not like a month in the AFL is going to make or break a top prospect's chances but it could be a decisive factor in whether a team retains a Bernardino or Ehret or Tromp. At this point the system is jammed with prospects on the bubble that would likely make the 40 man in a year where the system was down.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

16. Likes:

kaldaniels (08-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    If you are going to come in hot like this could you elaborate as to what you'd like to see and why?

And despite the lack of talent why do you feel it is embarrassing?

If the Reds were going to advance Senzel at the beginning of the season, would he be in the AFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If the Reds were going to advance Senzel at the beginning of the season, would he be in the AFL?
    Advanced him how/where?

But here's the thing that people overlook too - maybe some guys simply need the time off.

I've talked to some players who went to the AFL and they talked about how they didn't like it because they needed that time off for rest and they definitely felt it the next spring - that they didn't get the rest like they had in the past. Doesn't apply to everyone, but certainly does to some guys.

20. Likes:

camisadelgolf (08-31-2017),nmculbreth (09-02-2017),RedlegJake (08-30-2017),Tom Servo (08-30-2017)

Turn Off Ads?