Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arizona Fall League 2017

Winning is fun.

Re: Arizona Fall League 2017

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    In that scenario Senzel is essentially replacing Cozart. Senzel will have to have a pretty strong rookie year for the Reds to break even there offensively. Using this year as a baseline adding Senzel as a replacement for Cozart or even Gennett probably isn't more than a break-even for the team's offense. SS will take a definite drop on the defensive side and I think Suarez has a chance to be pretty good over there in time. Senzel is probably a defensive downgrade from Suarez at 3B as well. Given that Gennett probably experiences a decent sized offensive drop at 2B, the Reds offense and defense are likely to take significant steps back in 2018. The Reds need to make fairly significant improvements on the pitching side just to maintain the 70ish win team that they are now.

They can't be content with some late season promise from Romano, Stephenson, Mahle and Castillo while depending on one of the sore armed dudes to fill in. They need a pitcher who is better than anyone they've had since Cueto left town for any kind of real move up the standings to occur IMO.

I view Herrera the same way I view Bailey and Disco. I'm making my plans without him. If he shows up, that's a good thing.
    You have to price in the 200-250 less at bats that Cozart will get due to injury. Meaning, will Senzel recreate Cozarts wRC+ of 143? Probably not. But can 650 PAs of Senzel come close to replacing roughly 450-500 (at best) of Cozart's 143 wRC+ and Peraza's 150-200 ABs of 62 wRC+? I think there's a chance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arizona Fall League 2017

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    You have to price in the 200-250 less at bats that Cozart will get due to injury. Meaning, will Senzel recreate Cozarts wRC+ of 143? Probably not. But can 650 PAs of Senzel come close to replacing roughly 450-500 (at best) of Cozart's 143 wRC+ and Peraza's 150-200 ABs of 62 wRC+? I think there's a chance.
    I don't know. He'll be making a 2 level jump. The OPS he'd need to do that is in the mid to high .830s. The best recent comp may be Alex Bregman whose 2016 minor league OPS was roughly where Senzel's is accounting for league differences and he's pretty much right where Senzel would need to be to break even, but he had 300 PAs between AAA and MLB last year to assist him in making that jump. If Senzel makes that jump next year with only a couple weeks of AAA, I'd guess a realistic expectation would be a .750 to .775 OPS though GABP may give him a bump. .840 or so wouldn't be a shocker, but I don't think it's a reasonable expectation.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Turn Off Ads?