Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Fall League 2017

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Arizona Fall League 2017

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Blake Trahan is not.
    You're right. I somehow didn't notice he was going.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You're right. I somehow didn't notice he was going.
    It's because you, like me, are a slacker.

4. Likes:

camisadelgolf (08-30-2017)

Advanced him how/where?
    To the majors in April or early May.

So, making my predictions now:

P TBA - Andrew McKirahan. Lefty reliever. Missed a lot of time and has been pretty good in AA. He needs the work and the Reds may want to see how he does against some of these prospect bats in the AFL. The Reds may have gotten more than nothing for Phillips.

IF TBA - Nick Senzel to play exclusively at 2B. They need to sort out the Senzel/Suarez 3B question. This would seem a good way to start the transition if one is to eventually occur. At worst it may open or eliminate some options. The transition to 2B isn't automatic. Todd Frazier was a passable minor league SS but completely inadequate at 2B. I think a look is necessary.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Senzel played a bunch of second in Cape Cod League and some SS at UT. He's versatile.

Advanced him how/where?

But here's the thing that people overlook too - maybe some guys simply need the time off.

I've talked to some players who went to the AFL and they talked about how they didn't like it because they needed that time off for rest and they definitely felt it the next spring - that they didn't get the rest like they had in the past. Doesn't apply to everyone, but certainly does to some guys.
    The AFL is a great way to get guys who have missed time during the MiLB season some extra innings or ABs, but otherwise I'm not sure I see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    Senzel played a bunch of second in Cape Cod League and some SS at UT. He's versatile.
    Good info. Has he changed much in height or weight since then? I really don't know, but if he has, that might be ancient history.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Good info. Has he changed much in height or weight since then? I really don't know, but if he has, that might be ancient history.
    Not really, no. His SS time at UT actually came last year as his coach was trying to show teams he could do it as they went towards the draft.

11. Likes:

mth123 (09-02-2017)

Not really, no. His SS time at UT actually came last year as his coach was trying to show teams he could do it as they went towards the draft.
    My guess is that if he had looked good, the Reds would have started him there until he showed he was not able to handle the position. IIRC, that's what they did with Blandino.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    My guess is that if he had looked good, the Reds would have started him there until he showed he was not able to handle the position. IIRC, that's what they did with Blandino.
    No one seemed to think that shortstop was an actual option for him, despite the UT coaches trying it out. A lot of people, however, still believed that second base was a real option for him.

I'm actually thinking more of 2B. I figure if one moves to SS it will be Suarez. How long ago was he in Cape Cod? Isn't that for pre-College kids?

I'm actually thinking more of 2B. I figure if one moves to SS it will be Suarez. How long ago was he in Cape Cod? Isn't that for pre-College kids?
    No. Cape Cod is for anyone in college. Senzel played there the summer of 2015.

16. Likes:

mth123 (09-02-2017)

No. Cape Cod is for anyone in college. Senzel played there the summer of 2015.
    Three years is a lot at that age,. Any idea what his height and weight was then?

Nevermind. Senzel is 6-1, 205, Easily a good size for MI. Somehow I had it in my head he was 6 foot 3 or 6 foot 4.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-02-2017 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Oops

Three years is a lot at that age,. Any idea what his height and weight was then?

Nevermind. Senzel is 6-1, 205, Easily a good size for MI. Somehow I had it in my head he was 6 foot 3 or 6 foot 4.
    Against moving Senzel. Once Senzel is ready, I'd rather go 2B Gennett, SS Suarez, 3B Senzel with two of Peraza, Herrera, Sweeney, Blandino or Vincej in reserve. Would be nice to see Herrera (who's out of options) come back strong and platoon with Gennett @ 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Against moving Senzel. Once Senzel is ready, I'd rather go 2B Gennett, SS Suarez, 3B Senzel with two of Peraza, Herrera, Sweeney, Blandino or Vincej in reserve. Would be nice to see Herrera (who's out of options) come back strong and platoon with Gennett @ 2B.
    In that scenario Senzel is essentially replacing Cozart. Senzel will have to have a pretty strong rookie year for the Reds to break even there offensively. Using this year as a baseline adding Senzel as a replacement for Cozart or even Gennett probably isn't more than a break-even for the team's offense. SS will take a definite drop on the defensive side and I think Suarez has a chance to be pretty good over there in time. Senzel is probably a defensive downgrade from Suarez at 3B as well. Given that Gennett probably experiences a decent sized offensive drop at 2B, the Reds offense and defense are likely to take significant steps back in 2018. The Reds need to make fairly significant improvements on the pitching side just to maintain the 70ish win team that they are now.

They can't be content with some late season promise from Romano, Stephenson, Mahle and Castillo while depending on one of the sore armed dudes to fill in. They need a pitcher who is better than anyone they've had since Cueto left town for any kind of real move up the standings to occur IMO.

I view Herrera the same way I view Bailey and Disco. I'm making my plans without him. If he shows up, that's a good thing.

Turn Off Ads?