Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Re: Hurricane Irma

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He's probably w/o power
    That's my guess.
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

“Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin.” -- Joyce Carol Oates

2. Likes:

RBA (09-11-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Tornado Watch in my area. Orangeburg, SC.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
    I'll have to take a step back and look at where all the storm is affecting. Flooding in Charleston. I'm wondering if my uncle in Savannah (on Tybee Island) is regretting his decision to stay put when the storm turned. My father in Titusville (FL) headed to Charlotte, but it looks like the worst that happened there was a tornado touching down briefly in the south part of town. The damage isn't where I thought it would be.
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

“Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin.” -- Joyce Carol Oates

5. Likes:

RBA (09-11-2017),Revering4Blue (09-11-2017)

Power out in Orangeburg, SC.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Dan (or anyone else that knows), why do they give atmospheric pressure for hurricanes in millibars (MB) and for the rest of us, it's in inches? How much is a millibar and why the difference?
    Millibar (technically hectopascal) is the scientific measure of pressure. In this case atmospheric pressure. It gets converted to inches because most people aren't well versed in scientific notation.

I'm not sure why hurricane pressure is presented to the public in millibar form, though, but I have seen it shown as both millibar and inches. If I had to guess, a drop from 1000mb to 925mb seems more dramatic than a drop from 29.53 inches of Hg to 27.31 inches of Hg.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 09-11-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I'll have to take a step back and look at where all the storm is affecting. Flooding in Charleston. I'm wondering if my uncle in Savannah (on Tybee Island) is regretting his decision to stay put when the storm turned. My father in Titusville (FL) headed to Charlotte, but it looks like the worst that happened there was a tornado touching down briefly in the south part of town. The damage isn't where I thought it would be.
    The Savannah River at Fort Pulaski is forecast to reach record levels. My friend down there texted me and is without power but otherwise OK. But she lives close in to the city. I personally would not have wanted to stay on Tybee, though. That's a bad decision. That whole causeway that goes out there is likely going to be washed out.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

What's left of it rolled through South Carolina yesterday. Didn't get a ton of rain, but the wind was crazy. Lost power in the afternoon and just got it back this morning. Roads look like they're a mess with down lines and trees.

Thanks for asking guys. I did lose power for 18 hours. Got it back Monday about 5 PM. I technically live about 25 miles south of Jax. No problems in my area except a few downed trees. I think the Jax flooding is retreating pretty quickly. Lot of wind damage in the area known as Ponte Vedra Beach.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-13-2017),dougdirt (09-12-2017),HeatherC1212 (09-14-2017),Hoosier Red (09-13-2017),marcshoe (09-12-2017),oneupper (09-13-2017),Reds Fanatic (09-13-2017),Redsfaithful (09-12-2017),Revering4Blue (09-19-2017)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Figured I'd chime in...

When the forecast track was for the worst to be on the east coast, we made plans to head up to Tallahassee and bunk with friends. (Meanwhile, some of our family living in the mandatory-evac zone decided to ride it out at OUR house, which was a godsend. More on that in a minute.) About the time we left, the track started shifting west; by the time we got halfway there, the part of the state we were about to drive through was starting to freak, and by the time we got to Tallahassee (finally) the murmurs were starting that we'd just shifted to the new target zone. But it was already too late to go back. As it turns out, the storm was weakened and sufficiently to the east that some moderate tropical storm-force winds were the worst we saw in Tally, so this time we picked the right spot.

Back home, lots of minor-to-moderate wind damage and localized flood spots, but nothing catastrophic. Our house had no meaningful damage. Lucky, like with Matthew last year. Our relatives/house-sitters had a super stressful day, though, what with tornado warnings being thrown seemingly every 20-30 minutes all day long, and the water level in the street and the lake out back was higher than it has ever been. Didn't reach the house, though.

Speaking of our family/house sitters, this was a big break for us because they brought their dogs, which meant we could leave our dogs at home. This let us evacuate in one car instead of two and avoid having to find gas along the way because the older second car is iffy to make it to Tallahassee on one tank on a good day. Friday was not a good day. There was no gas to be had without very long lines, when you could find it at all. It was almost as bad on the return trip. Having the one car with plenty-enough fuel range made finding bathrooms/snacks the only challenge. Nonetheless, it was an ordeal, and we will probably not evacuate for less scary storms. But Irma had us freaked a little, I have to admit. Even though the center was a hundred miles west, Irma was so huge that our home county got pelted anyway. I've been here for nearly half of my years, and this is the first storm I remember that smacked around the entire peninsula.

But we're home, power's back on (out 40 hours in total -- good job FPL, considering nearly the entire county was out), trying to get back to normal.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

13. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-14-2017),KittyDuran (09-13-2017),marcshoe (09-12-2017),oneupper (09-13-2017),Reds Fanatic (09-13-2017),RedsManRick (09-14-2017),Revering4Blue (09-19-2017),texasdave (09-13-2017),WrongVerb (09-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Thanks for asking guys. I did lose power for 18 hours. Got it back Monday about 5 PM. I technically live about 25 miles south of Jax. No problems in my area except a few downed trees. I think the Jax flooding is retreating pretty quickly. Lot of wind damage in the area known as Ponte Vedra Beach.
    I'm guessing you never would have accepted the position of a RZ moderator if knew it would bring this on?

Glad to hear things weren't too bad for you and got through it safely.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?