Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Hurricane Irma

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    It's the best move. And your best bet is to go northwest. Almost none of the forecast tracks show the storm going into the central time zone. Just make sure wherever you land you're in a solidly built structure that can withstand the winds associated with the storm. They'll be over 100 mph.
    Am I wrong thinking Im safe in the Blue Ridge Mountains?

2. Turn Off Ads?

No one is ever safe in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

“Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin.” -- Joyce Carol Oates

4. Likes:

Dom Heffner (09-05-2017),westofyou (09-05-2017),WrongVerb (09-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Just heard from my father in Titusville, and they're waiting until Thursday to decide whether to head to Charlotte. I don't think I'd want to be anywhere near that much water during a hurricane. I suppose Merritt Island provides a buffer, but I'm a coward.
    I'd tell him to just go., The whole state is waiting until Friday...

I'm leaving Thursday I think and I think that will be too late...

That's a beautiful storm if you're nowhere near it. Yikes.

8. Likes:

WrongVerb (09-05-2017)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Am I wrong thinking Im safe in the Blue Ridge Mountains?
    I'm with Marc

But yea, you should be reasonably safe there. Remember to plan to be out of pocket indefinitely. The wrong path and Tampa will look a lot like Houston, albeit because of storm surge instead of rain innudation.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

That GOES-16 satellite is still in experimental mode. I'd say it's getting quite a workout and passing with flying colors.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Make America Stupid Again RFS62's Avatar

I'm with Marc

But yea, you should be reasonably safe there. Remember to plan to be out of pocket indefinitely. The wrong path and Tampa will look a lot like Houston, albeit because of storm surge instead of rain innudation.

Tampa is pretty much virgin territory for major hurricanes. The disaster relief community has known this for a long time.

It's pretty hard for a hurricane to hit it dead on. It almost takes a u-turn in the gulf after a hurricane has passed by the Keys. This one is very different.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Latest GFS run has the storm track shifted back to the east. Something I was afraid of. West coast of the FL peninsula may be OK. Miami still going to get socked though. But other models and runs will need to show the same thing before we feel confident.

13. Likes:

Slyder (09-05-2017)

Sorry for the selfish question, but how bad's this going to be if it comes up to Ohio?

Hurricane Ike was a major pain. Could this be that bad?
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Sorry for the selfish question, but how bad's this going to be if it comes up to Ohio?

Hurricane Ike was a major pain. Could this be that bad?
    No telling. There's a lot that's unprecedented with this storm already.

For you soon-to-be evacuees who might not have plans, tons of hotel rooms in the ATL, especially as we get into the weekend. Last weekend was crazy, but it's pretty quiet around here this weekend and that will spill over into early next week.

Depending on the storm's track, you can get back home either via I-75 or I-16/I-95. If you're flying, Delta will have as many direct flights back to FL as anyone, and there's a ton of rental cars too in case you're better off loading up on provisions here to take back home.

Weather should actually be pretty good here through the weekend before whatever remnants are left hit us. Braves are in town through Sunday vs. the Marlins. United is home on Sat vs. Dallas in M-B stadium. GT football is home. Bars will be great fun on Sat w/ Auburn @ Clemson and UGa @ ND. Bring a couple of golf clubs and hit the links.

Let us know if you need any recommendations for places to eat, things to do with the kids, or other ways to pass the time.

Most importantly, get the f out of Dodge and be safe.

17. Likes:

oneupper (09-05-2017),Revering4Blue (09-06-2017),RFS62 (09-05-2017)

Latest dropsonde (a free falling package of instruments designed to measure the atmosphere on the way down) captured a 226mph wind speed at 24 meters above the water surface. That's amazing. You usually only see those wind speeds in the jet stream well above the surface or in tornadoes.

NHC saying 185mph top speed right now. Forecast is for some slight weakening as it moves north-westward. GFS forecast track up the east coast looks like an outlier at the moment. Waiting for 00z Euro to come out. It's the better model.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 09-05-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Latest GFS run has the storm track shifted back to the east. Something I was afraid of. West coast of the FL peninsula may be OK. Miami still going to get socked though. But other models and runs will need to show the same thing before we feel confident.
    My feeling is it is going east.

GFS shows it going east of FL (except Miami), Euro shows a Naples hit. Guess we're waiting to hear if midnight Euro slides east also.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Turn Off Ads?