Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Hurricane Irma

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    GFS shows it going east of FL (except Miami), Euro shows a Naples hit. Guess we're waiting to hear if midnight Euro slides east also.
    These guys need to get it together lol

I want to just leave- but there's also danger in doing that. Traffic, gas shortages elsewhere...

If this hits Georgia...I may be going where it's headed which may mean a delay in getting back.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    My feeling is it is going east.
    The thing is, the ultimate track of this storm depends a lot on two factors: a high pressure system in the Atlantic that may or may not weaken, and we don't really have enough data on to accurately model all that well, and the development of a low pressure system in the interior of the US that nobody knows whether it will or won't dig south. That's what will ultimately determine the track of Irma. It's still worth evacuating, even if it's a pain in the ass.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    The thing is, the ultimate track of this storm depends a lot on two factors: a high pressure system in the Atlantic that may or may not weaken, and we don't really have enough data on to accurately model all that well, and the development of a low pressure system in the interior of the US that nobody knows whether it will or won't dig south. That's what will ultimately determine the track of Irma. It's still worth evacuating, even if it's a pain in the ass.
    I get it but we've heard those ducks fart underwater before.

Hopping onto the roads everytime something could happen is dangerous and expensive.

I'm sitting here wondering what is reasonable. Are my neighbors packing up and going to Alabama? No...

5. Likes:

Sea Ray (09-06-2017)

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I get it but we've heard those ducks fart underwater before.

Hopping onto the roads everytime something could happen is dangerous and expensive.

I'm sitting here wondering what is reasonable. Are my neighbors packing up and going to Alabama? No...
    It also kinda comes with the territory. But I get what you're saying too -- it's not always practical. For this one, I'd be bugging out. But I wouldn't have kids in tow and can do my work from most anywhere with a good internet connection. That makes it all a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    It also kinda comes with the territory. But I get what you're saying too -- it's not always practical. For this one, I'd be bugging out. But I wouldn't have kids in tow and can do my work from most anywhere with a good internet connection. That makes it all a lot easier.
    I think we're leaving...

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

This latest track puts IRMA less than 30 miles west from my house and trending towards. Probably going to pack up, head to Orlando on Friday and wait for directions there.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    This latest track puts IRMA less than 30 miles west from my house and trending towards. Probably going to pack up, head to Orlando on Friday and wait for directions there.
    I don't feel great sitting in Gainesville, I say get to Orlando and put it in your rear-view mirror as you keep heading North.

11. Likes:

WrongVerb (09-06-2017)

This is what they showed on the local news in Jacksonville this morning. This is encouraging for those of us in the northern and western parts of Florida, but not so much for Georgia and the Carolinas.

We're prepared to leave on Thursday if it looks like there's much chance at all of getting hit hard here.

Name:  Spaghetti_Plots-640x360.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  93.2 KB
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Web camera on a south facing beach in the BVI on the island of Jost Van Dyke. Surge would be more of an issue on the back side but things should start going downhill rapidly in a little while.

FWIW, better safe than sorry. Get out before the traffic becomes too bad. And good luck to all the Redszoners in the path of that hurricane.

15. Likes:

Dom Heffner (09-06-2017),Revering4Blue (09-06-2017),WrongVerb (09-06-2017)

European model, which is the best performing of all the models, is now suggesting an east coast landfall, similar to the track Matthew took last year.

17. Likes:

Dom Heffner (09-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Please get out now Nick!

Most of the models now lining up Irma to make landfall near Miami and take a northerly track almost parallel to the coast along the east coast of Florida and up into southern Georgia and the Carolinas.

Turn Off Ads?