Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Upper Level Starters Today

Upper Level Starters Today

Top 3 level starters tday - Reed, Garrett (L'Ville DH), Mella (P'Cola) & Strahan (D'Tona) combined.

23 IP, 8 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 23 K, 1 HR

2. Likes:

Benihana (09-05-2017),Homer's Ghost (09-03-2017),PuffyPig (09-04-2017),RiverRat13 (09-04-2017),Tom Servo (09-03-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Upper Level Starters Today

Interested to see what the plan is for Reed, Garrett, and Mella for the rest of this month given their 40 man status. Will they only pitch out of the bullpen or will they get any starts given Castillo and Mahle's impending shutdowns?

Strahan was a rare bright spot in Daytona's 2nd half, he's had a nice comeback from TJ. Makes me optimistic about Tejay Antone next season.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

5. Likes:

corkedbat (09-03-2017),lollipopcurve (09-04-2017),mace (09-04-2017),PuffyPig (09-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Interested to see what the plan is for Reed, Garrett, and Mella for the rest of this month given their 40 man status. Will they only pitch out of the bullpen or will they get any starts given Castillo and Mahle's impending shutdowns?

Strahan was a rare bright spot in Daytona's 2nd half, he's had a nice comeback from TJ. Makes me optimistic about Tejay Antone next season.

I've even wondered if they might bring some relievers up after the season (Herget? Weiss?) and even let Lorenzen have a four or five inning start.

I saw Mella pitch today and came away more impressed than I walked in. Previously his numbers didn't jump out to me. But he's a big guy and was bringing it at 95/96 today.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Great question. I would guess Reed only going 3 innings his last couple of starts means that he's probably in the pen the rest of the way, but I guess it could be the Reds limiting his innings so that he can finish September in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Great question. I would guess Reed only going 3 innings his last couple of starts means that he's probably in the pen the rest of the way, but I guess it could be the Reds limiting his innings so that he can finish September in the rotation.
    Castillo and Mahle are destined to early shut downs. At least those two spots will be open in the rotation. Stephenson and Romano are likely to go deeper into September. Stephenson was in the bullpen early, Romano had DL time. Not sure of the plan with Bailey after TJ.

So there are two spots open in the rotation. The question is whether it is Wojo, Adleman, Reed, Garrett, or possibly Rookie Davis. (Mella and Stephens also no the forty, could get a look also.)

As for relievers, Herget and Weiss are not on the forty man roster. Question is whether Reds mind starting the clock early. I'm assuming one or both will be on the forty by this winter, I haven't checked if they are due.

Have to make decisions about next year, but also may want to establish some trade value in a few cases.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-04-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Weiss needs to be added. Herget does not.

I keep hearing about the Mahle shut down. Looking at his innings, he'd seem to have at least 4 more starts in him. Has the organization said they will shut him down? IF so, why?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If we count the playoff start that Mahle made in Pensacola last year, he's thrown nearly the EXACT same number of pitches this year that he threw last year. This year he's at 2418 pitches. Last year, including that playoff game, he threw 2421.

13. Likes:

mth123 (09-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I saw Mella pitch today and came away more impressed than I walked in. Previously his numbers didn't jump out to me. But he's a big guy and was bringing it at 95/96 today.
    Good call. I checked his last four starts, 1.98 ERA, 25 IP, 5BB, 23K. That's probably worth 7 or 8 positions on next year's RZ prospect poll.

Turn Off Ads?