Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Moving up (Pitchers)

Moving up (Pitchers)

Just looking @ who the top arms are that should move up across the full season clubs and might hel the big club before the turn of the decade.

Louisville:

(Most of the rotation already up)
    Hoping Jimmy Herget (R) can step up and push for a Reds bullpen by Memorial Day if not out of ST
    Would be pleased if just one of Barrett Austin (R), Austin Brice (R), Nick Routt (L), Evan Mitchell (R) or Austin Ross (R) make a big league contribution, but not holding my breath
    Have officially given up on Ish Guillon's big left Arm
    I don't expect Woj back

Pensacola:

Jose Lopez (R) - I expect him to push for a Reds rotation spot by the ASB if there's a slot where none of those ahead of him are getting it done.
    Would love to see Jesus Reyes (R) become the next Jose Lopez (R) (With Domingo Tapia (R) in line behind Reyes)
    Many will disagree - especially after his success of late - but I'd start grooming Kuery Mella (R) as a future closer
    Really like what I saw of Deck McGuire (R), but I'm guessing he looks to move on.
    Zack Weiss (R), Robert Stock (R), Geoff Broussard (R), Tanner Rainey (R) & Andrew McKirahan (L) should all start the season in L'Ville with the possibilty of helping in Cincy at some point.
    Jake Ehert needs a full level @ AA and a bounceback.

Daytona:

If Wyatt Strahan (R) is healthy in the Spring he should be a big part of the WaHoo rotation
    Vlad Gurrierrez may move up to Pennsicola, but needs a breakout 2nd season.
    Wyndolyn Bautista (R), Ty Boyles (L) & Jake Paulson (R) have had their moments, but need to show more
    Juan Martinez (R) was intriguing in a couple of late-season starts.
    Seth Varner (R) Mark Armstrong (R) need to show health & effectiveness.
    Austin Oreweiler (R) & Joel Bender (L) should move up a level in the pen.
    Sandy Lugo (R) & Sarkis Ohanian miss bats, but could be more effect.
    Not sure the status on Brian Hunter (R)
    I expect Ryan Hendrix (R) to move at least 2 levels next year (if not end up in Cincy).

Dayton:

Hoping Scott Moss (L) repeats his success and can spend at least a few starts with the WaHoos
    Hope the same for Tony Santillan (R), but he probably does whole year with the Tugas
    Andrew Jordan (R) probably joins Moss/Santillan in Daytona, but Wennington Romero (L) may need half a season back in Dayton
    Joel Kuhnel (R), Aaron Fossas (R) Jesse Adams (R), Jesse Stallings (R), Moises Nova (R), Carlos Machorro (R) & Andy Cox (L) all should be in the Tugas pen

Main two takeaways -

1) I think there will be at least one (and possibly two) starters moving up to add depth behind the current crop of starters/competition. Lopez in 2018 & Moss in 2019 (possibly bolstered by one of Reyes, Santillan, Strahan or Guttierez)

2) I really hope two of Mella, Herget, Weiss, Hendrix & Rainey can step up and carve out spots in the Reds pen as reliable arms. Would also be nice if McKirahan develops as a solid reserve LH pen option.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 09-05-2017 at 03:46 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Moving up (Pitchers)

Would be pleased if just one of Barrett Austin (R), Austin Brice (R), Nick Routt (L), Evan Mitchell (R) or Austin Ross (R) make a big league contribution, but not holding my breath
    Have officially given up on Ish Guillon's big left Arm
    I'd be more pleased if a couple established arms are brought in to nail down a couple of spots, the bigger name, more highly regarded players are healthy and pitching well and none of those guys even get a sniff at a spot in Cincy. These types are where the Adelmans, Wojos, Melvilles and Bonillas of the world come from. The Reds problem has been understaffing the top end of the rotation and roster which results in too many innings going to guys like these. These guys shouldn't be fighting for innings. The fight should be between Finnegan, Stephenson, Mahle, Romano, Herget, Weiss and Hernandez. If one of those other guys enters the picture, some stuff has gone horribly wrong. We've gotten so used to it around here, people think it should be part of the plan. Guys on the 40 man roster like Rookie Davis and Jackson Stephens should be as far down the barrel as the team needs to reach. If they need to reach farther down for these guys, it means they failed at providing guys to fill the primary roles and the pitching version of the peter principle has reared it's ugly head yet again.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-05-2017 at 06:15 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Austin Brice is, IMO, underrated. One game (5 ER against the Cubs in late June) really killed his season totals.

Without that game, he's got a solid ERA. His FIP and xFIP are okay, and his BB rate is outstanding (in the majors). He should be a contributor dancing the I-71 shuffle, at worst.

The two arms with "special stuff" among starters are, from what I've read, Santillan and Gutierez. (Hunter Greene too, of course, but he's just starting out.)

Regardless of this year's records in the minors, IMO those are the two to watch next season.

Lopez, Moss had good seasons, hope they continue, both look like future solid major leaguers. Hoping Santillan and Guttierez are difference makers.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-05-2017 at 02:29 PM.

I really think Andrew Jordan's 2017 is being undervalued. He basically pitched the entire year at 19 years old in A-ball and while the ERA is a bit elevated, taking a deeper dive, and it is fairly impressive. His K/BB is 3:1 and his K/9 is 7.7.

Take Scott Moss who is at the same level and is in essence 3 years older (34 months).... His ERA is one run lower, but his K/BB was roughly the same and he definitely had more control problems walking guys at a higher rate.

Obviously Moss' 10.3 K/9 is up from Jordan's 7.7, but given that he is three years older, I could make the very strong argument that Jordan had a better year relative to age. Add in that Jordan is 6'3 with a solid frame to handle innings and no injury history so speak, I think he could be getting undersold on just how good a year he had for his age in A-ball

7. Likes:

Kc61 (09-05-2017)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Don't sleep on a Dayton rotation next year that likely includes Mondile, Sceroler, Heatherly, Naughton, and Hanson returning from injury. Wotell might end up in that mix too.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Don't sleep on a Dayton rotation next year that likely includes Mondile, Sceroler, Heatherly, Naughton, and Hanson returning from injury. Wotell might end up in that mix too.
    You think Greene opens in Billings or joins Dayton sometime post Memorial Day? Anyone think he goes to the Fall Instructional League?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    You think Greene opens in Billings or joins Dayton sometime post Memorial Day? Anyone think he goes to the Fall Instructional League?
    He will 100% be in instructional league - but I get the feeling you're confusing that with the Arizona Fall League, which is a very different thing and no, he won't be going to that.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I'm sure Doug has a better handle on that. I'd guess Instructs, then winter off, then ST, extended ST, Billings for at least a month then a taste of Dayton to finish out the year.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

No, I'm fully aware of the difference and wouldn't expect him in the AFL for a couple of years (if at all).

Turn Off Ads?