Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Cleveland Browns...Rising from the Ashes

Re: 2017 Cleveland Browns...Rising from the Ashes

Peter King rakes the Browns over the coals about this non-trade in his MMQB column today.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/06/ja...ce-week-9-mmqb

The Browns blew the A.J. McCarron deal. Say whatever you want about paying too much (second- and third-round picks) for a guy more likely to be a backup than a starter, but from all reports, EVP of Football Operations Sashi Brown did agree to the deal just before the 4 p.m. deadline—and then failed to execute the mechanics of it correctly. Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland wondered to me the other day how Brown could have done this, seeing that he’d made 17 previous trades since taking the franchise’s football reins 22 months ago. It can’t be because Brown really didn’t want to make the trade and so conveniently messed up the mechanics of it; that would only make him look worse because the failed trade was going to leak. And when Adam Schefter reported the bungled deal, the Browns looked a lot worse. I am left with this thought: I do not see how, unless there’s a reversal of play by the Browns down the stretch of this season, owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam are going to let all front-office members return in 2018. This non-trade is a major disgrace, even by the standards of the Browns.

I think the one byproduct of the Browns dropping the ball on the McCarron deal is that the reputation of the Cleveland front office is now surfacing. Teams do not like trading with the Browns. They feel Cleveland’s asking price, or the selling price, is too much of a moving target. This is not on every trade, but it is on some trades. I’ve heard from more than one team that it thinks it has a deal with Cleveland, and when the callback comes to confirm the deal, the price changes. Now, lots of times that is overcome, because some deals make too much sense, and pragmatic GMs and coaches realize that even if the price changes, they still want to make the deal. I’m just telling you what’s out there, and I’m telling you that other teams were not surprised the McCarron deal fell through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-06-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Josh Gordon says he was either drunk or high before every game.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports...223022661.html
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Josh Gordon says he was either drunk or high before every game.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports...223022661.html
    Wow! This is news!!!! LOL

All I can say is that I hope this kid does finally get his act together .... not just for the Brown's sake, but his own. You have an immense talent son. Learn from this. Move forward.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-07-2017 at 05:19 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Peter King rakes the Browns over the coals about this non-trade in his MMQB column today.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/06/ja...ce-week-9-mmqb
    Here's a pretty lengthy interview Sashi Brown had with reporters Monday, where he addresses several issues/questions. Take it for what it's worth (LOL) ....

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/...4-9e422e109ac8

Like I said .... next year's draft, with all the picks they have... the opportunity is there .... will be the true test as to whether this current front office gets it or not. They've done a good job fixing the defensive side - now fix the other. We'll see.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-07-2017 at 05:15 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-20-2017)

Good news! The Browns are not eliminated from the playoffs.
    https://t.co/JiC8YvtGWG
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Here's a pretty lengthy interview Sashi Brown had with reporters Monday, where he addresses several issues/questions. Take it for what it's worth (LOL) ....

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/...4-9e422e109ac8

Like I said .... next year's draft, with all the picks they have... the opportunity is there .... will be the true test as to whether this current front office gets it or not. They've done a good job fixing the defensive side - now fix the other. We'll see.
    I'm pretty sure they don't get it.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I've been following, and reading, numerous articles and interviews, concerning Gordon since his reinstatement. There's some positive stuff there IMO. Nothing wrong with being skeptical when it comes to Gordon. Especially looking at all the chances he had. And I certainly don't feel sorry for him for the choices he made. Nor is he asking for it from people. He seems to have maybe "turned that corner", is determined to prove it to himself and others. He knows this is his last shot. If the effort is there, when it comes to addiction - I don't care who we're talking about - they got my support.

Like I mentioned before .... I hope the young man, regardless of whether he restores his football career, becomes a productive player for the Browns once again - gets his life together and becomes a productive member of society.

But in the back of my mind I'm not afraid to admit that getting this gifted and talented kid back - the potential that is still there IMO, and if he does produce - that's like getting an extra draft pick or signing a free agent (LOL)

His first game is scheduled for Dec 3rd vs the Chargers. Having two talented WRs like Coleman and Gordon lining up together certainly isn't going to hurt this team.

Solid video for those that are interested. It's kinda like "the Josh Gordon Story", which also has interviews with him while in rehab, working out with trainers, etc.

https://www.uninterrupted.com/watch/...jg-josh-gordon

This from today's Cincinnai Enquirer:

The Browns get the same super-sized money-goodies every team gets, for being a member of the richest sports league in the land. They get to whiff on the highest draft picks and play the easiest schedules. And yet they’ve now lost 29 of their last 30 games. It’s a miracle, really.
    A point I've been making for years...It really boggles the mind but as a fan of a team that gets to play them twice, I ain't complaining.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That's what I was saying. They'll probably sweep the Bengals.
    My how things change in a matter of 2 and a half months

12. Likes:

Chip R (11-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This from today's Cincinnai Enquirer:

A point I've been making for years...It really boggles the mind but as a fan of a team that gets to play them twice, I ain't complaining.
    It's a Cincy paper (LOL). And no, they don't have the "easiest" schedule. He doesn't know what he's talking about (LOL)

And if one goes back and looks at the Brown's schedule from last season, it was anything but easy.

First off, I think we all know how the NFL sets schedules...... https://operations.nfl.com/the-game/...-nfl-schedule/

Here’s how each team’s opponents are set:

Every team plays six games against the other three teams in its division, facing off twice per season — once at home and once on the road.

Every team plays one game against each of the four teams from a division within its conference — two games at home and two on the road. Which division a team plays is determined by a rotation system ensuring that the teams in one division will play the teams in every other division in its conference once every three years.

Every team plays one game against each of the four teams from a division in the other conference once per season — two games at home and two on the road. These matchups are also determined by a rotation, which ensures that all teams play every team from every division in the other conference once every four years.

Every team plays its remaining two games against teams from the two remaining divisions in its own conference — one game at home and the other on the road. The matchups are determined by where the teams finished in their divisions in the previous season. For example, a team that finished the previous year in third place in its division will play the third-place teams from the two other divisions in its conference.
    In the AFC North, the only difference between those four teams, as far as the scheduling goes, is two games that the others didn't play.

Browns .... Jets, Chargers
    Bengals .... Bills, Broncos
    Steelers ... Chiefs, Patriots
    Ravens .... Raiders, Dolphins

The combined record of those teams the Browns, Bengals, and Ravens played was exactly the same ... 9-13. The Steelers was 15-7
    Last edited by GAC; 11-27-2017 at 11:57 AM.

It's a Cincy paper (LOL). And no, they don't have the "easiest" schedule. He doesn't know what he's talking about (LOL)

And if one goes back and looks at the Brown's schedule from last season, it was anything but easy.

First off, I think we all know how the NFL sets schedules...... https://operations.nfl.com/the-game/...-nfl-schedule/

In the AFC North, the only difference between those four teams, as far as the scheduling goes, is two games that the others didn't play.

Browns .... Jets, Chargers
    Bengals .... Bills, Broncos
    Steelers ... Chiefs, Patriots
    Ravens .... Raiders, Dolphins

The combined record of those teams the Browns, Bengals, and Ravens played was exactly the same ... 9-13. The Steelers was 15-7
    I think you know what the Enquirer is saying. The schedules from year to year are based on the previous year's finish, so that the Browns get two last place teams. Of course there's no guarantee that those teams will again finish in last place but it's set up to give teams like the Browns a shot at improving their record. Somehow this hasn't worked out for the Browns.

I think you know what the Enquirer is saying.
    No, I don't. Didn't see a link. Just went off what was quoted (LOL)

The schedules from year to year are based on the previous year's finish, so that the Browns get two last place teams. Of course there's no guarantee that those teams will again finish in last place but it's set up to give teams like the Browns a shot at improving their record. Somehow this hasn't worked out for the Browns.
    Just my opinion, but I don't think those two games, even it was the last place teams from the previous year, is going to make much of a difference or improve one's chances by much of anything. My point is that the hapless Browns didn't have the easiest schedule going into 2017..... https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...slate-of-doom/

There were ten teams whose scheduled was seen as easier then the Browns (who were tied for 21st) ..... and three of those teams made the play-offs last year (Seahawks, Texans, Steelers).

No, I don't. Didn't see a link. Just went off what was quoted (LOL)

Just my opinion, but I don't think those two games, even it was the last place teams from the previous year, is going to make much of a difference or improve one's chances by much of anything. My point is that the hapless Browns didn't have the easiest schedule going into 2017..... https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...slate-of-doom/

There were ten teams whose scheduled was seen as easier then the Browns (who were tied for 21st) ..... and three of those teams made the play-offs last year (Seahawks, Texans, Steelers).
    That's as easy a schedule as the NFL could give them a year in advance. All right, they don't have the 49ers on their schedule but that's how it is. The NFL does try to give last place teams the easiest schedule. They clearly have had plenty of bad teams on their schedule. Plenty of chances to win a game. In other words, they're not 0-11 because of a hard schedule. They're 0-11 cause they're bad

Let's be real here. The only reason the Steelers schedule looked easier than the Browns was because the Steelers have the Browns twice (2-30) on their schedule and the Browns have the Steelers twice.

Year to year that scheduling can be worthless, since there's lots of turnover in the league. A last place team could be a first place team and the advantage is gone.

But over a long period it should help. Playing the Jets/Bills/or Dolphins instead of the Patriots (and the like) year after year should help.

But it never seems to matter for the Browns.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

19. Likes:

Chip R (11-27-2017),GAC (11-27-2017),Revering4Blue (11-27-2017)

They're 0-11 cause they're bad
    Not denying that (LOL)

But were talking about schedule difficulty. And the Browns did not have the easiest schedule in 2017 as the Enquirer contended. That's all I'm addressing.

Let's be real here. The only reason the Steelers schedule looked easier than the Browns was because the Steelers have the Browns twice (2-30) on their schedule and the Browns have the Steelers twice.
    I don't think that is the criteria utilized in determining SoS schedule for the Steelers, or any of those ten teams, whose schedule was ranked easier then the Browns in 2017 ... Are the Browns on their schedule? (LOL)

But it's not about the Steelers is it? What's the excuse for those other teams whose schedule was ranked easier then the Browns - especially those play-off teams - who also didn't have the Browns on their schedule?
    Last edited by GAC; 11-27-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Turn Off Ads?