Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

  1. #1
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    12,363

    Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/254004...icid=151437456
    Once Rosario exceeds 130 at-bats with New York, the 2017 season-ending Top 10 will line up like this: Torres, Robles, Blue Jays third baseman Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Jimenez, Braves outfielder Ronald Acuna, Rodgers, Astros outfielder Kyle Tucker, Reds third baseman Nick Senzel, White Sox right-hander Michael Kopech and Dodgers righty Walker Buehler. (Keep in mind that we haven't reordered the prospects since mid-July; we simply move prospects up when others' rookie eligibility expires.)
    Erring on the side of many of baseball's brightest young talents continuing to ascend to the big leagues faster than expected, our assumption is that Torres, Guerrero and Rodgers will be the only 2018 holdovers from that group. If Torres wasn't recovering from Tommy John surgery on his non-throwing elbow and Colorado had a vacancy in its infield, Guerrero might be the lone repeater.
    8. Hunter Greene, RHP, Reds (No. 17)
    No. 2 overall pick in June generates triple-digit velocity more easily than any prep pitcher ever.

  2. Likes:

    REDREAD (09-14-2017)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,086

    Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    I worry if Greene looks too good too early and the hype train increases, the temptation to rush him will also increase.

  5. Likes:

    Joseph (09-15-2017),REDREAD (09-14-2017)

  6. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,713

    Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I worry if Greene looks too good too early and the hype train increases, the temptation to rush him will also increase.
    True. That PR Train in two or three years is going to be mighty hard to resist. It would create a mighty big Cash Cow to bring in a 20 or 21 year-old phenom for a big major league debut weekend game.
    "I can still throw it in the 70s. And I can throw it in the 80s if I don't want to comb my hair for a week." - Bob Feller at age 66 when asked how hard he could throw.

  7. Likes:

    REDREAD (09-14-2017)

  8. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    333

    Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    I just hope he is actually performing at a level high enough to have major hype. Love the guys talent but he post on instagram like a teenage girl seeking attention.

  9. #5
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,052

    Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    Interesting that 3 of the top 5 are sons of former major leaguers.

  10. #6
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,487

    Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    I just hope he is actually performing at a level high enough to have major hype. Love the guys talent but he post on instagram like a teenage girl seeking attention.
    He just turned 18-years-old. Of course he posts on instagram all of the time. I'm guessing you aren't following other 17 or 18 year olds, are you?

  11. Likes:

    alwaysawarrior (09-15-2017),membengal (09-14-2017),wolfboy (09-18-2017)

  12. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    3,529

    Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'm guessing you aren't following other 17 or 18 year olds, are you?



  13. Likes:

    alwaysawarrior (09-15-2017),BillDoran (09-14-2017),camisadelgolf (09-14-2017),Homer's Ghost (09-14-2017),JaxRed (09-14-2017),kbrake (09-16-2017),Mitri (09-14-2017),nmculbreth (09-14-2017),PuffyPig (09-15-2017),Raisor (09-15-2017),RedsfaninMT (09-15-2017),redsmetz (09-20-2017),RiverRat13 (09-14-2017),Tom Servo (09-14-2017),TRF (09-25-2017),wolfboy (09-18-2017),WrongVerb (09-14-2017)

  14. #8
    Back from the dead..maybe Homer's Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    28,887

    Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    I just hope he is actually performing at a level high enough to have major hype. Love the guys talent but he post on instagram like a teenage girl seeking attention.
    He's 18. Feel like his posting on the gram are much more normal than you paying attention to what a teenage boy posts on the gram.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

  15. Likes:

    alwaysawarrior (09-15-2017),bubbachunk (09-15-2017),membengal (09-14-2017)

  16. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    333

    Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He just turned 18-years-old. Of course he posts on instagram all of the time. I'm guessing you aren't following other 17 or 18 year olds, are you?
    Lol I am not. If all 18 year olds are posting pictures of just themselves with inspirational quotes then I feel sorry for this country. Just begging for attention.

    Just for reference I'm 29 but have a 22 year old brother and none of our friends post stuff like Greene, at least not as much.

  17. #10
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,487

    Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Lol I am not. If all 18 year olds are posting pictures of just themselves with inspirational quotes then I feel sorry for this country. Just begging for attention.

    Just for reference I'm 29 but have a 22 year old brother and none of our friends post stuff like Greene, at least not as much.
    I bet none of them are running a business, either. He is. The business is him. Stay in the minds of people. It's worth a lot of money to be on the minds of people. Comparing him to non-famous people doesn't work. That Joe Nobody who works at Chipotle doesn't post a bunch of stuff on instagram isn't quite the same thing.

  18. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,397

    Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    I just hope he is actually performing at a level high enough to have major hype. Love the guys talent but he post on instagram like a teenage girl seeking attention.
    I just browsed his instagram out of curiosity. Are you sure you are following the right Hunter Greene? His Instagram posts are hardly any different than any other normal person, if anything it is quite the opposite of attention seeking, they seem like pretty humble posts.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  19. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    333

    Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I bet none of them are running a business, either. He is. The business is him. Stay in the minds of people. It's worth a lot of money to be on the minds of people. Comparing him to non-famous people doesn't work. That Joe Nobody who works at Chipotle doesn't post a bunch of stuff on instagram isn't quite the same thing.
    Look man, I know he is marketing himself, and I get those goofy "modeling pictures he put up. I am more so talking about the the volume of posts and cheesy quotes. But if I did want to compare him to other people, would you agree that Mackenzi Gore and Royce lewis would be a good place to start? Probably so. Their instagrams are way more in line with what I would consider most people, or even most athletes.
    I guess its just me but I would never give someone my camera and say hey man, take a picture of me sitting in this golf cart by myself, during the middle of a round. That just shouts insecurity to me.
    Oh well, like I said, hopefully he is good enough where his play trumps anything else. Unfortunately, he shut his high school career down so we only got to see like 7 innings from him his year.

  20. #13
    Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    American Canyon, CA
    Posts
    12,120

    Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Look man, I know he is marketing himself, and I get those goofy "modeling pictures he put up. I am more so talking about the the volume of posts and cheesy quotes. But if I did want to compare him to other people, would you agree that Mackenzi Gore and Royce lewis would be a good place to start? Probably so. Their instagrams are way more in line with what I would consider most people, or even most athletes.
    I guess its just me but I would never give someone my camera and say hey man, take a picture of me sitting in this golf cart by myself, during the middle of a round. That just shouts insecurity to me.
    Oh well, like I said, hopefully he is good enough where his play trumps anything else. Unfortunately, he shut his high school career down so we only got to see like 7 innings from him his year.
    First it's his posts. Now it's his million dollar arm preservation. Is there anything positive you can say about this delightful young man?
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

  21. #14
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,487

    Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    I think those guys are a little bit better than some random person you know, but they probably aren't in the same place as Hunter Greene is, either. Greene has 12x the followers on instagram than Lewis and 8X as many as Gore. Different kind of product.

    And we must live different lives and know very different kinds of people. You're critiquing a dude because he had a photo taken of him in a golf cart and put in on instagram as if it's telling of ANYTHING. That's far more strange to me than the idea that a guy had a photo of him in a golf cart. One of those seems way more normal to me.

  22. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    3,529

    Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

    I don't care how big a doosh Greene is on social media so long as he can pitch and/or hit.

  23. Likes:

    BoxingRed (09-15-2017),butsch16 (09-14-2017),RedsfaninMT (09-15-2017)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator