Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    He also qualifies as white.
    Right, but in the post above his is classified as non-black.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Not really sure it is a race issue.. We had a white draftee a while ago.. It might have been Brandon Larson. Back then, the deadline to sign was the day college class started for the kid (or something like that.. but much later then now).
    People got really annoyed at this white kid because he could have signed right away and had the half season of rookie ball, but instead, he held out the the last minute of the deadline to gain a little more money.
    That is exactly what Greene did, but under the new system, it is worse. There was an opportunity cost. If Greene signed a few days earlier, we might have been able to sign another draftee. Hpwever, Dick Williams even said that they did not know if Greene was going to sign or not until about 5 minutes until the deadline.. The Reds had to make a stand with a take-it-or-leave it offer because Williams said that Greene kept trying to extract more money out of the Reds (and he did use the word extract). So, if Greene did not sign, the Reds lose his pool money, which prevented the Reds from having the chance to sign someone else.

It is a legitimate thing to complain about.. Now I doubt anyone will have a lifetime grudge over it.

Also.. many athletes crave attention too much.. Even non-black ones: Pete Rose, Steve Garvey, Jeter, ARod, etc. Lebron James is another example (although obviously he is black)
    It can get annoying regardless of race, especially when that player has not actually done anything. Heck, we have a whole society now where people follow tabloid celebrities, I can see
    why the athletes want to get in on that..
    What has Hunter Greene done to crave attention? Someone is complaining about a few instagram posts, posts in which this person went and sought out. Greene isn't using the media to garner attention. He has said all the right things so far. Also, the whole "extracting" money thing is weird to me. The whole system is set up to purposefully put a cap on what teams will pay a guy like Hunter Greene. If the "cap" wasn't in place he would get well north of $20M.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

4. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Lol I am not. If all 18 year olds are posting pictures of just themselves with inspirational quotes then I feel sorry for this country. Just begging for attention.

Just for reference I'm 29 but have a 22 year old brother and none of our friends post stuff like Greene, at least not as much.
    Inspirational quotes?????

The horror!
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-18-2017),Joey Blotto (09-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Inspirational quotes?????

The horror!
    Next thing you know, people will start being annoyed by Tim Tebow.

8. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-18-2017),BoxingRed (09-23-2017),kpresidente (09-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Lol. I was wondering how many posts it would take.

Officially other board stuff now.
    In this thread? It took 4 posts... 4...

I guess we know which will be the first Hunter Greene thread to be locked and not for hitting 1000 + posts.

Not really sure it is a race issue.. We had a white draftee a while ago.. It might have been Brandon Larson. Back then, the deadline to sign was the day college class started for the kid (or something like that.. but much later then now).
    People got really annoyed at this white kid because he could have signed right away and had the half season of rookie ball, but instead, he held out the the last minute of the deadline to gain a little more money.
    That is exactly what Greene did, but under the new system, it is worse. There was an opportunity cost. If Greene signed a few days earlier, we might have been able to sign another draftee. Hpwever, Dick Williams even said that they did not know if Greene was going to sign or not until about 5 minutes until the deadline.. The Reds had to make a stand with a take-it-or-leave it offer because Williams said that Greene kept trying to extract more money out of the Reds (and he did use the word extract). So, if Greene did not sign, the Reds lose his pool money, which prevented the Reds from having the chance to sign someone else.

It is a legitimate thing to complain about.. Now I doubt anyone will have a lifetime grudge over it.

Also.. many athletes crave attention too much.. Even non-black ones: Pete Rose, Steve Garvey, Jeter, ARod, etc. Lebron James is another example (although obviously he is black)
    It can get annoying regardless of race, especially when that player has not actually done anything. Heck, we have a whole society now where people follow tabloid celebrities, I can see
    why the athletes want to get in on that..
    You must have missed a lot of the posts from the poster in question.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    What has Hunter Greene done to crave attention? Someone is complaining about a few instagram posts, posts in which this person went and sought out. Greene isn't using the media to garner attention. He has said all the right things so far. Also, the whole "extracting" money thing is weird to me. The whole system is set up to purposefully put a cap on what teams will pay a guy like Hunter Greene. If the "cap" wasn't in place he would get well north of $20M.
    "Extracting" was used by Dick Williams. I was just repeating what he said.

Look Greene has been all over the media. Not many high school draftees have gotten the attention he has. Now, I am not criticizing him for it.. Good for him.
    At the same time, this is why I do not follow athletes on social media. I really do not want to read inspirational quotes from a 19 year old, who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and has not even experienced real life yet.. It is just silly. Now maybe those quotes are useful to kids his own age. I do not resent him at all.. We are just at different stages in life.

The main point of my post was that this is not a racial thing.. I Do not follow any athletes on social media for these reasons. Not even BP, who I was a huge fan of.

I do not hate Greene. I was annoyed he waited until 5 minutes before the deadline to sign. But I would have been annoyed if he was white too.

And I did not mean to start a debate about whether Jeter was black or white.. The point is that Greene and Jeter do crave the spotlight a lot.. And there is not necessarily anything wrong with that.. If it annoys someone, then I agree.. best not to follow attention seekers on social media.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You must have missed a lot of the posts from the poster in question.
    Ok, now I remember that post.. I let it go.. hopefully others will do the same.
    Just because one poster makes a remark like that, I hope we don't have to hear "Because he is this race" his entire career.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I guess for me, I was really scratching my head that Williams and the FO had no clue until five minutes before the deadline whether or not Greene would sign. Seems to me, if you have the #2 pick in the draft, you better make sure you can sign him BEFORE you call his name. I'm at a loss as to how it got to that point.

What changed that caused the delay in signing him? Did he quote a number and the Reds thought they could talk him down and so they were low-balling him? Or did he give them one number before the draft, but then jacked up that number after the draft?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I guess for me, I was really scratching my head that Williams and the FO had no clue until five minutes before the deadline whether or not Greene would sign. Seems to me, if you have the #2 pick in the draft, you better make sure you can sign him BEFORE you call his name. I'm at a loss as to how it got to that point.

What changed that caused the delay in signing him? Did he quote a number and the Reds thought they could talk him down and so they were low-balling him? Or did he give them one number before the draft, but then jacked up that number after the draft?
    I think holding out till the last minute was the Greene Team's plan all along. I don't fault either side for how that played out. It seems just how it was going to be...and I think the principles like feeding that narrative. Whatever.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

My guess: They knew he wanted the most money ever and were prepared to give it to him, but it wound up being more than they had figured it would be. It led to some negotiations that they hadn't expected.

"Extracting" was used by Dick Williams. I was just repeating what he said.

Look Greene has been all over the media. Not many high school draftees have gotten the attention he has. Now, I am not criticizing him for it.. Good for him.
    At the same time, this is why I do not follow athletes on social media. I really do not want to read inspirational quotes from a 19 year old, who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and has not even experienced real life yet.. It is just silly. Now maybe those quotes are useful to kids his own age. I do not resent him at all.. We are just at different stages in life.

The main point of my post was that this is not a racial thing.. I Do not follow any athletes on social media for these reasons. Not even BP, who I was a huge fan of.

I do not hate Greene. I was annoyed he waited until 5 minutes before the deadline to sign. But I would have been annoyed if he was white too.

And I did not mean to start a debate about whether Jeter was black or white.. The point is that Greene and Jeter do crave the spotlight a lot.. And there is not necessarily anything wrong with that.. If it annoys someone, then I agree.. best not to follow attention seekers on social media.
    Just because he is getting media attention doesn't mean he is craving media attention. Those are not the same thing. Should he turn away the chance to be on sports illustrated? Should he refuse to do interviews and then be judged that way? I would say Ocho-Cinco craved media attention and got it. Joey Votto gets media attention but doesn't crave it whatsoever. Aaron Judge has had all sorts of media attention this year. Does he crave it too? It doesn't seem to me like he does, he seems like a pretty humble dude for the success he has had as a rookie.

I also find it weird you claim Hunter Greene was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. What details of his up-bringing lead you to believe this? Growing up in a well to do family means nothing in terms of a person's character or work ethic. It doesn't automatically mean Hunter was spoiled, entitled, etc. Sure he has had plenty of opportunities to develop and train that tons of kids don't get, but that doesn't mean he doesn't bust his tail training. Paying for training doesn't automatically make you better either. It seems to me like he was raised well by his parents and is an overall likable 18 year old who is really good at baseball. What am I missing here?

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/04/24/hu...eene-mlb-draft

He launched a sock drive this winter for the homeless in downtown Los Angeles, after reading an article about a shortage, then handed out 2,300 pairs on Skid Row. He has received four certificates of recognition from L.A.-area politicians for his community service efforts.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 09-18-2017 at 03:39 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-19-2017),IndianaRed (09-20-2017),OnBaseMachine (09-19-2017)

I am just going by what Dick Williams himself said. That may be the reason Minnesota did not pick Greene (I am speculating)

The Reds gave him an offer (don't know if it was a pre-arranged deal or not).. The Greenes continued to try to get more until about 5 minutes before the deadline. Williams did say that they made Greene a final offer and he had no idea if Greene was going to accept until 5 minutes before the deadline and mentioned the Greenes constantly trying to extract more money from the Reds.

I mean, it seems logical that Greene was going to sign.. as someone else said, he basically kept himself in bubble wrap all of his senior season, so why would he risk pitching in college?
    OTOH, we know from hindsight, that Greene's camp was going to drag it out to the last minute, trying to get "a little more".
    I said this earlier.. I wish the Reds had hardballed him more, because it did potentially cost us other signings.
    Like give him a deadline 3 days before the deadline.
    Dick Williams already said <paraphrased> they reached the point where the Reds had to make a "Take it or leave it" offer or Greene would continue to extract more from the Reds.
    It was selfish of Greene to drag it out to the last minute, IMO of course.
    I know others say it is fine.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 09-19-2017 at 02:55 PM.

It was selfish of Greene to drag it out to the last minute, IMO of course.
    I know others say it is fine.
    I think it was both selfish AND fine.

21. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-20-2017),BoxingRed (09-23-2017),IndianaRed (09-20-2017),marcshoe (09-20-2017),REDREAD (09-20-2017),Z-Fly (09-20-2017)

Turn Off Ads?